It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Got an unscheduled round in this morning. Two doubles on the front and a triple on the back nine. Ugh... Finding new ways to shoot myself and my score right in the foot. :lol:

sounds like one of my scorecards. Play 13 holes at 2 over. Play 5 holes at 10 over.

Yup. I keep track of all my stats and I've had at least one double bogey my last 13 rounds. Four of those rounds I had 2 and today I had 3. It's so maddening. Could happen anywhere. :eye:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Got an unscheduled round in this morning. Two doubles on the front and a triple on the back nine. Ugh... Finding new ways to shoot myself and my score right in the foot. :lol:

sounds like one of my scorecards. Play 13 holes at 2 over. Play 5 holes at 10 over.

Yup. I keep track of all my stats and I've had at least one double bogey my last 13 rounds. Four of those rounds I had 2 and today I had 3. It's so maddening. Could happen anywhere. :eye:

I read an article over the winter that the difference between scratch golfer and 10 handicap isn't necessarily that the scratch makes more birdies (they do, but not by that much), but that the 10 makes way more doubles.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
All the more reason for us weekend hackers to work on the chipping, putting, and short game. As shakes said you can get up and down for par or bogey. But you can also get up and down to save a 6 rather write down a snowman. You can't shoot in the 70s with double bogeys, but you can still break 90 with a double or two on the card.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:14 am 

I hit 50 balls with the new irons yesterday. Tonight I’ll hit 50 with my old set. I’m willing to admit I may have ordered clubs that I’m not good enough to play if I hit the old clubs better. I’ll just sell the others and move on. Also a chance that it’s me and I hit them both the same but that’s what I need to find out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:56 am 

Talked to one of the engineers at work this morning and he is an avid golfer. We got talking and I told him to just take my new irons out for a few spins over the weekend and if he likes them I'd be willing to sell them. That would work out really well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:14 am 
100000 CLUB

Supposed to play Saturday twilight but thats looking like it could be stormed out :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:33 pm 

Pushing for next 4 mornings, I think the weather will be ok. Just hit 50 balls and it was very hot and humid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:01 am 

My buddy is the super at RCC. He told me about this....crazy!

Two holes-in-one on the same hole in the shoot out at their member-guest.

https://www.rrstar.com/story/sports/rec ... 369882007/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:27 am 
100000 CLUB

My game S-U-C-K-S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I had planned on playing today, but the weather forecast was calling for moderate rain starting at 9am. Of course, now the rain isn't expected until 4pm.

On the other hand, at 11:20am, it's 92 degrees with a heat index of 116. And most courses here don't have their first tee time until 7:30 or 8am.

I really enjoy living down here, but I would kill for a golf course within 75 miles of my house which had publicly available weekday 6:30am tee times (sunrise is at 6:03 today).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:32 am 

When I visit my mother down that way 7am is generally the earliest she can find us. The course I play lets us go about 5:50am thankfully

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:11 pm 

The weather forecasters finally got their thumbs out of their asses and have decided that it's not really going to rain every hour of the next week. So I booked a tee time just across the border in Virginia as all the nearby courses are on the busy side due to the holiday week. It will be a long drive, but a fast and cheap round to keep on working on my swing mechanics. The temperature should still be in the 70s for most of the round.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:10 pm 

Put the old irons in and it worked wonders. Hit well over 50% greens last 4 rounds. One double bogey during that stretch and that was on hole 70 of 72 so wasn’t too happy with that. Shot my low round for the year yesterday so also a positive. Just don’t usually get out to play 4 days in a row. Hope everyone has a nice 4th

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:23 pm 

Well, I got 12 holes in as the first one off the tees before the humidity kicked my ass, I stopped when the heat index hit 98 at 10:15am. 13-15 were treelined tee to green on both sides, so I just hit a couple of approach shots on each hole and moved along and then just drove 16-18 to check out the course as the heat index was over 95 by that point. Ever since my heart surgery and the medication changes around it, I'm really out of shape for super humid weather. Not a bad course but it needs some simple TLC like hole signs and 150yd stakes, and the cart paths were shit. But the fairways and greens were in good shape and for $20 riding it was a fucking steal.

As for the round, I counted every stroke and the score (+26 for 12) was far worse than how I felt I played. Several of those strokes were due to trying to use all my clubs longer than a 5 iron at some point, and topping a few balls. My stance and swing mechanics were better, but par 3s are still a big problem - I went 6 (water), 5, 5 on three holes which I should never get more than 13 total.

I agree with shakes that short game practice is critical, especially here in NC/VA/SC where they have a fascination with raised greens on every hole. I probably gave away 5 shots with poor longer chips (say 6-10 feet to the fringe). In Illinois, the greens would be lower and I'd be 2-3 feet to the fringe and could even putt if needed.

I need to get four more days in before I head up to PEI next month. At least up there it's probably going to be in the 70s even in August.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Unplanned, I went and played 9 holes at a crappy course. As usual I played like ass, but had a good time.
#button48

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:03 pm 

Now I feel worse about my game... a friend of mine took his 7 year old (who has been swinging a club since 3 and on par-3 courses last year) out for a 9-hole round this morning, and the kid shot a legit 51 from the regular men's tees. When asked how far the kid can hit driver, the response was "up to 180 if he has a little wind."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Got EA Sports PGA tour and went even my first round at Augusta, which wasn’t easy because I didn’t know how to play and I was 3 over after 2 holes. Pros should shoot a lot better, it was pretty easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:58 pm 

I shot a nice 76 on the Fourth of July and won $200 in club events. I didn't putt well either. Nice to see results from the lesson and practice. Hope I can keep the momentum going.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:49 am 

Franky T wrote:
I shot a nice 76 on the Fourth of July and won $200 in club events. I didn't putt well either. Nice to see results from the lesson and practice. Hope I can keep the momentum going.

Nice shooting Franky. Sounds like you are making a lot of progress this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Just got a message from a friend about golfing. He was asking if I wanted to get out at Latrobe Country Club Saturday if he can swing it. I said well sure if I am not on my boat! :lol: You kidding me the home course of Arnold Palmer. I cannot concentrate now. The family connections are there so I am hopeful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:51 am 

pittmike wrote:
Just got a message from a friend about golfing. He was asking if I wanted to get out at Latrobe Country Club Saturday if he can swing it. I said well sure if I am not on my boat! :lol: You kidding me the home course of Arnold Palmer. I cannot concentrate now. The family connections are there so I am hopeful.

That would be a really cool experience, hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am 
100000 CLUB

You can get on your boat anytime, Mike. You may never get another shot to play Latrobe CC.

I need to play 9 holes with someone like Franky, or Furious. They would probably fix or at least point out my issue(s) within two holes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
You can get on your boat anytime, Mike. You may never get another shot to play Latrobe CC.

I need to play 9 holes with someone like Franky, or Furious. They would probably fix or at least point out my issue(s) within two holes.

no one is fixing you, but you. But a good set of eyes can definitely help point you in the right direction and give you advice on how to fix it.

Played 2 rounds in Arizona last month. 1 of our buddies is pretty bad, the other two are both good players. Between the 3 of us, we gave our other buddy a couple really good pointers. Since then he has taken 10 strokes off his game and is now consistently in the low to mid 90s.

pretty simple fixes too. ONe was he was simply teeing the ball way too low on drives. We had him tee it up so half the ball was above the head and it worked wonders for his drive. Other fix was my specialty, short game close to the green. Like a lot of bad players his stance was all wrong and he was trying to scoop the ball. We had him do the 3 simple things to improve that....put all his weight on his front foot, move the ball position to towards the front of his stance (unless he was trying to get loft) and lastly, to strike down and through the ball as the point of contact.

he started doing those things and results were immediate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:46 pm 

shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

no one is fixing you, but you. But a good set of eyes can definitely help point you in the right direction and give you advice on how to fix it.

Played 2 rounds in Arizona last month. 1 of our buddies is pretty bad, the other two are both good players. Between the 3 of us, we gave our other buddy a couple really good pointers. Since then he has taken 10 strokes off his game and is now consistently in the low to mid 90s.

pretty simple fixes too. ONe was he was simply teeing the ball way too low on drives. We had him tee it up so half the ball was above the head and it worked wonders for his drive. Other fix was my specialty, short game close to the green. Like a lot of bad players his stance was all wrong and he was trying to scoop the ball. We had him do the 3 simple things to improve that....put all his weight on his front foot, move the ball position to towards the front of his stance (unless he was trying to get loft) and lastly, to strike down and through the ball as the point of contact.

he started doing those things and results were immediate.

You mentioned the short game tips a while ago. I found them helpful the other day, especially the front foot weight. I have to unthink 40+ years of green side chipping to deal with the differences in southern greens and collars. In the Midwest, I could get a nice little 10 foot carry about four inches off the ground by taking a wider stance and hitting a long putting stroke with my blade 8. That doesn't work at all down here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:16 am 

Should miss most of the rain up this way tomorrow morning. Passed the 30 round mark last weekend which kind of marks the half way point of the season. Decided to go ahead and try to sell the new clubs but won't try super hard at it. The new models are coming out and not sure how many people would be interested. I'll be giving a good deal but not dropping my shorts on them. It's been a pretty good season over all. Definitely have gotten pretty lucky with weather thus far.

Driving has been pretty good overall. Been relatively successful working the ball both ways with two different swings. If I want to go left to right I just dial it down to about 80% and make adjustments

Iron play has been poor until I put the old clubs in the bag. Last weekend I hit 9,10,11 and 12 greens and anything over 50% is pretty good for me.

Chipping and putting has been fair. I wish I could add a big flop shot to the arsenal but just not good at that one. Could always make more putts but it's been an ok season for that. A lot of short ones missed. Sand play has been improving after a rough start. Bunkers at my place are very inconsistent from course to course. Last year I averaged over 50% sand saves but not sure I will ever reach that again.

New hybrids this year have worked pretty well. The 5 has been very good on 200 yard shots but the 3 hybrid hasn't been as kind off the tee on tight tee shots.

I've had 9 nine hole scores at par or better but have only put two extra solid nines together once this season with a 35/38 last weekend for a 73. The courses I play have been in really nice shape and they have been keeping the rough up so that is a big reason I have added the fairway finder to the arsenal off the tee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:33 am 
100000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
But a good set of eyes can definitely help point you in the right direction and give you advice on how to fix it.
That is more so what I meant. 4 or 5 years ago at the JOrr outing, I was having some issues with chipping. Furious watched me hit like five chips on the practice green and immediately pointed out what I was doing wrong. It was nearly an instant fix.

Weekends are becoming increasingly busy for me so time for golf is going to be quite limited if not almost completely eliminated most of this month. Maybe that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Informed today it’s a no go. Bummed but it’s okay. Might happen again. Boat it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:32 am 

It appears that I'll be putting my starting flat stick in jail for a while and using something different next weekend. Just too many missed short ones and not feeling it right now. Just need to change it up and see if that sparks anything.

Edit 7/17- Decided to give the putter one more chance and ended up heating up some. 74 Saturday with a double bogey and a 76 yesterday with a quadruple bogey on the 2nd hole of the day. Weird weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:35 am 

More of the same for me this past weekend. Tale of two nines on both rounds, but still some solid play and no big numbers on any holes. Three 3-putts wasn't too good but some birdies along the way as well. Watching Harman this past weekend has kind of inspired me to work on putting better from 10 feet and in. I tend to throw away a few strokes in this area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:02 pm 

I won my 3rd match today and have moved on to the quarterfinals. I was 2 down though 13 and was never up until 17 when I went 1 up. Hit my drive on 18 into a bunker and made bogey to his par. Went into extras and on the first hole he hit his approach to 6' and I hit mine to 4' on top of him. His birdie putt lipped out and I made mine. I love match play. Just hang in there and you never know what will happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next