It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Year End Awards
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 am 

This weekend's as good a time as any. We'll get to the best posts week after next when we wrap up the year 12/21 week. Just a few ways one could go with this. Do with it what you wish. Thanks for any input.

Best/worst/most improved
athlete/coach interview
television personality
radio personality
sportwriter
television production

Best/worst soundbyte

Best/worst segments

Great moment

Not so great moment

Most overblown topic

Most underrated topic

Best feel good story

Creepiest story

Signature moment

Low point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:08 am 

I'd like to be the first one to toss a bouquet at Silverman and Waddle. Their show has come together nicely in a short amount of time. It is an enormous upgrade from the previous 9-noon show. Initially I thought a third guy would be a good idea, but it isn't necessary. I'm very happy for Silverman. He's a quirky guy, but he tries very hard and the quality of program he puts out means as much to him as any co-worker I have at ESPN. Silvy is going to be around for a long time and it's good to see a hard worker -- who's taken some hard knocks -- pick himself up off the canvas and succeed. The 9-noon change is the best thing that happened at our place in '07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:12 am 

Best newcomers: BTN's and MJH's Howard Griffith and Hawks radio voice John Wiedeman, now in his second year (not much of an itch to listen last year).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:16 am 

Worst local radio host:

There are many talentless personalities on sports radio in this city right now. However, the one to who appeared on the scene with the most hyperbole had to be old Uncle Rico, Captain Dick Picture, yes our guy Sean Salisbury. Now try as they might, ESPN radio, including MJH, could not pull a fast one over on this board. Uncle Rico was sniffed out well before he even had the job by members who were taken aback by his proclamation that he knew more about the Bears than any writer in this city.

Leave it up to Bristol to decide what we want. They chose to team the eminently unlikable Rico with the man who Winthorp and Mortimer Duke instructed to buy, buy, buy. Bonnie Bernstein famously named the show Two Dicks, Wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:25 am 

Most underrated topic:

The death of Bill Wirtz. It was fairly well covered. However his death may well change the landscape of the Chicago sports scene. As the Bulls happily accept mediocrity, the Hawks have made all the right moves over the past two months to steal the attention of winter sports fans. I expect that within 5 years the Hawks will become the cool ticket in town for the loud sweater wearing crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 am 

Most improved radio personality

Jason Goff. Just last year, as he co hosted weekends, he was known as the mush mouthed sidekick of Abbatacola. Since they have been separated, Goff has developed his talents to the point where he can now ably run an important show like Bears post game. He is not quite ready for prime time, but I am liking what I am hearing out of the low riding earl of pipwich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:33 am 

Most underrated: The business end of operating and subsequently selling the Cubs. If ever a story of graft and pure profit went unreported because a tight lipped public company was sold to a private buyer...

Post subject: Re: Year End Awards
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:43 am 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
Mac wrote:
worst radio personality

George Ofman

Ofman... can you just report the news and keep your unwitty comments to yourself? If there was a HOF for worst radio personalities Ofman would have a wing all to himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Best Athlete interview:

I have enjoyed hearing Tillman on with S & W on Tuesdays. He's got a great personality and doesn't just spew cliches. He's one of the few Bears I'd actually like to hear from.

Close second: Mark DeRossa - Sounds like a "regular" guy who feels lucky to be where he is. Again, he doesn't just throw out the cliches (at least not too much if memory serves).

Worst? Anyone Jay Glazer represents... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
im not sure which category this would fit into, because part of it was 'pull the covers over your head' radio but it was all wildly entertaining. the ditka vs. duerson pissing match when da coaatch hung up on youse guys. that was priceless

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Jobu
In light of very recent revelations, I must nominate the verbal showdown between the puffy faced windbag Mike Ditka and Dave Duerson as the "Best Interview" I heard this year.

Mike Ditka, the "Man Who Would be King," was exposed as a fraud; a ninny who, when challenged directly, was intellectually incapable of reaching into the barren wasteland of his bulbous, vacuous cranium for any substantive arguments to counter Duerson's highly effective jabs.

Although uncomfortable to listen to, this segment was the ideal proverbial train wreck, away from which a mere mortal is incapable of diverting their gaze.

Let me also say that the 1985 Bears are the finest football team I have ever witnessed in my lifetime (my beloved Giants being but one of their unworthy victims). As an exercise in Football History 101, this interchange also instructed us all as to one possible reason that such a mighty juggernaut failed to accomplish what rightfully should have been long term domination: it would appear that Ditka's charges may not have thought that highly of their leader.

Dan McNeil: I offer kudos to the excellent staff member who coordinated this nominee.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Most Overblown- I have 2. The pissing matches between the Big Ten and NFL Networks and cable. Sports fans know about it, and if they cared enough to have these channels, they probably have made the necessary changes/upgrades to get these channels. And the BCS. Again, anybody that really likes college football and follows it even just casually knows the BCS sucks. So, stop whining about. Sure it would be nice to have NFL network just like everybody has TBS but thats not the way it goes because both parties are stubborn fuckheads. And we're stuck with the BCS for another couple of years at least. Yes, its terribly lame and unfair but the almighty dollar is what rules the roost on these two topics, and if you don't realize that by now its gonna be a long life for ya.

Not-So-Great-Moment- Mercury Morris and the like clinging to something they did over 30 years ago. I've never seen ex-athletes as arrogant as these geezers. As much as I dislike Bellichek and as sick as I am of the Patriots (and the whole Boston are in general) I'd love for them to run the table all the way thru to the Super Bowl to shut these old clowns from miami the fuck up.

Feel Good Story- the Colorado Rockies's run to the playoffs and in the NLDS and NLCS

Some of the worst- ESPN MNF booth, Bryant Gumble, Cubs and Sox radio booth, Brian Urlacher's "interviews", Dick Stockton, Dieon Sanders, Joe Buck, and perhaps THE worst were the endless promotions for the horrible 'Frank TV'

Best- Cubs TV booth, Stacy King (both on Comcast and on MJH), Howard Griffith (guy knows his shit and I don't even follow much college football and I enjoy these segments), John Clayton, the much improved ESPN radio lineup- Tirico is growing on me more and more, Silvy and Waddle have greatly improved, and Carmen and JHood work very well together and seem to have found a niche after dark, JD's Bears beat reporting, Carmen and the like filling in for Mac during suspension and surgery timeouts

I'll get to more later...because I'm sure you're all gonna wait with baited breath,..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:49 am 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Mac"]This weekend's as good a time as any. We'll get to the best posts week after next when we wrap up the year 12/21 week. Just a few ways one could go with this. Do with it what you wish. Thanks for any input.

I agree with the Silvvy and Waddle show in that it has grown into a pretty good combo and it's a easy listen. On the flip side a show that has taken a shit latley is the B&B show.. I used to be a big fan but I can't stomach it any more. I used to like the Dan Patrick show but Tirrco has stepped up and they talk a ton of college football which I like.

Best moment- When you and North almost got your asses kicked by Strahan at the Superbowl .. It was a feel good week with the Bears being down there and your show was at the top of it's game that week.

Worst segment---- Sunday Night John.. You guys beat a dead horse and the segment became forced and the fake laughter made it even worse.

Best Soundbyte- Players, dugout , ect. sTill funny

Most overblown topic- Urlacher and the media..Who cares they blow and Urlacher has dug his own grave with his play.

Best feel good story-Ron Zook and the Illini..I don't think they have gotten enough kudos from you and your coharts. They walk into OSU a 3 touchdown dog and beat that team up and down the field and barley a segment on it from you guys. A team that has won 4 games in 2 years is now going to the Rose bowl.

Low Point. The White Sox season and you losing your bets to Harry and Jurko......Another would be the remotes from Arizonia and the Cubs crapping the bed in the playoffs. Not a real Chicago feel that trip and I thought you guys mailed it in.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:05 am 
100000 CLUB

STU-GOTZ wrote:

+1. I demand more of the Zim man in 08.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:23 am 

Best Feel Good Story:
- Notre Dame finishing 3-9 oh wait :-)
- Thome getting 500 in a scripted like event, as a walk off to beat the Angels at US Cellular.

Best Television Production:
I have to give it to the studio shows for the Big Ten Network, with the exception of Friday Night Tailgate. The studio shows were very professional. Dave Revsine was a great addition to showcase his talent and Howard Griffith and Gerry DiNardo were very smooth discussing college football before and after the games.

WOrst Television Production:
NFL Network Games - from the broadcasting to the camera work - they stink.

Most improved radio host
Brian Paruch - He doesn't get a lot of time but when he does he shows he's knowledgeable and good with his callers. He should get a shot someday to get a full time role.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:41 am 

Mac wrote:

best/worst athlete/coach interview

Worst: the ben gordon interview.

Best: any of Mark De Rosa's

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:23 pm 

Best/worst/most improved

Worst Coaching Decision: Adding Bob Babich as Defensive Coordinator. I fully believe this is the main problem behind the bears defense.

Worst Television Personality: Bryant Gumble & the NFL Network...nuff said.

Best Radio Personality: The combination of Waddle and Silvy. They have done a fine fine job bringing the show together after being thrown into the mix. I thought the 9-12 spot was DEAD after Silvy & Carmen was taken off the air...they resurrected it. So, I give them the award as a combined award.

Coming in a VERY close second would be Hoodie and Carm for the Show. I guess you could even throw good ol' JD in there.

Television Production: 2 Way Tie - ESPN Monday Night Football at the beginning of the season. (Couldn't get the correct graphics on screen...I can't even count how many players had the name of "ddddddddddddddd" on the graphics). And, Comcast Sportsnet's casts of the Bulls at the beginning of the season...signal drop central.

Best Segment: "Who do ya Love" - MJH, I honestly look forward to this segment EVERY week. I love the commentary that comes along with the choices. Also gives me something to look forward to on my friday drive home. I even find myself sitting in my car in the driveway at my kid's daycare waiting for the segment to end. I can usually leave a segment to pickup my son, but WDYL is just one that I can't.

Great Moment: Devin Hester breaking Gayle Sayers Return Record in TWENTY SEVEN GAMES!

Most overblown Topic: Brian Urlacher utilizing FoxSports.com to speak to the fans.

Low Point: TIE: Bears season falling to the Super Bowl Loser's hangover. And, the White Sox having to battle the Kansas City Royals to stay out of the basement in the central. High expectations for both teams led to a huge let-down on both parts. Now, lets hope that Kenny William's off season doesn't make my list in 08'...

Best Soundbyte: "All this has done is put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us," - Kenny "Must be fucking high" Williams

Thanks for asking Mac!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:35 pm 

Most Overblown Tie between anything to with Bonds and/or steroids. Close 3rd to Yanks/Sowx rivalry

Feelgood The Bills player, Everett, who is now able to walk.

Signature moment The decision to drop the commercials disguised as a "traffic report" even though it was replaced by, um, commercials. At least they're now usually read by the smooth sounding Dave Jueda

Athlete/coach interview Worst. Impossible to pick despite many choices already mentioned. Keep it. Too often they are simply not interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:52 am 

See I told you he was evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Worst Television Production- Comcast Sportsnet. Earlier this season there were a few Bulls games when they lost the picture. After all these years of carrying the team, they shouldn't have these same problems.

Best Athelete Interview- Charles "Peanut" Tillman on Silvy and Waddle. Always interesting and amusing, even in this terrible season.

Most Overblown Topic- Pick one: Barry Bonds steroids, Michael Vick dogfighting, Sawks/Yanks, New England Patriots/Spygate/running up the score, Rex Grossman.

Best Soundbyte- "I'm a man...I'm 40!"

Best Sportswriter- Norman Chad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:34 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:

Seconded. I didn't think I'd ever have to say this, but I got a fever, and the only cure is more 'Players Dugout Clubhouse.' I also think it should be brought back as a segment during spring training like it was a couple of years back. So help me god, I laugh every time; no matter how shitty my day is, I get a good chuckle out of it. It's also funny how Tiny tries to work the other two into whatever point he's making when the first button is punched.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Mac"]

Low point
[/quote]

Anytime I hear Comcast crying about the Big Ten Fucking Network!!! 3 times in the past 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:31 pm 

Best segment Jurko's keys to the game. "The Bears MUST show up." woo, that's some fine insight from our former NFL'er mister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:33 pm 

Favorite voice impersonation by host: Mac's version of Dan Dierdorf....I laugh every time he does this.

....he just did it again...HILARIOUS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

NotInTheBiz wrote:
Best segment Jurko's keys to the game. "The Bears MUST show up." woo, that's some fine insight from our former NFL'er mister

Mackey, Key #2- If the Bears put the ball into the endzone more times than the opposing team does, I think they have a pretty good chance at winning this football game. Guys, this is my kind of football game; 2 teams, both with quarterbacks and head coaches gettin at eachother. Oh, its gonna be a ball down there on the lakefront Sunday afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Mac"]. Thanks for any input.

radio personality

While I'm still trying to figure out if Bruce Levine swings from both sides of the plate, I think the guy does some solid work... He seems to be a bit edgy and above it all at times but I think he's solid when it comes to baseball reporting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:19 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
[
Quote:
quote="Mac"]. Thanks for any input.

radio personality

While I'm still trying to figure out if Bruce Levine swings from both sides of the plate, I think the guy does some solid work... He seems to be a bit edgy and above it all at times but I think he's solid when it comes to baseball reporting.

Bruce Levine has no life except baseball...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:36 pm 

Uga4Prez wrote:
Best Soundbyte- "I'm a man...I'm 40!"

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:56 am 
1000 CLUB

BEST SHOW- Mulley and Handley (no gimmicks, knowledgeable, not morons)

Bigest let down- My Sox. that was a long year (other than Buehrle and Thome)

Feel good story- Illini beating the eventual National champs

Feel good 2008- Kerry Wood gets 40 saves!

Worst show- too easy.......North

Best Announcer- (and the only worth a shit) Pat Hughes

Worst- Farmer BY FAR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Best Soundbyte = Button 48
I've noticed this has been making a strong comeback... thanks!

Best Impersonation - Mac imitating Chester.

Most Improved - Tie between Goff and Paruch

Worst Show - Salisbury and Rosenbloom wins it easy. For current shows, the show with Sweet Lou and Bob the Builder and the mortgage guy.... dumb.