It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harrison Butker
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
It's hard to keep up with all of the claims of victimhood.

It is, isn't it?

I gave up trying after

then

to this

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:57 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Back to Butker, I found his speech to be unnecessarily critical of Church officials at such a positive occasion.

Yeah, that part has been kind of glossed over in favor of the secular stuff, but railing about how the Catholic Church isn't being Catholic enough seems like not being a very good guest.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Juiced wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

It is, isn't it?

I gave up trying after

then

to this

Don't forget about poor JOrr still complaing about COVID!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

It is, isn't it?

I gave up trying after

then

to this

Don't forget about poor JOrr still complaing about COVID!

Fauci should face federal[ prison time and all of his criminal collaborators lose their jobs and contracts for all of the deaths that they caused to the US and the world.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
100% Agreed. Collaborator Trump should be in prison.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Back to Butker, I found his speech to be unnecessarily critical of Church officials at such a positive occasion.

Yeah, that part has been kind of glossed over in favor of the secular stuff, but railing about how the Catholic Church isn't being Catholic enough seems like not being a very good guest.

I understand what you both are saying but considering the leadership and issues over the past 10 years, it's not a bad message to give to young adults. They may have to lead or push against the church.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:03 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I understand what you both are saying but considering the leadership and issues over the past 10 years, it's not a bad message to give to young adults. They may have to lead or push against the church.

A good message would have been something like "congratulations on graduating, I hope the teachings of the church will help you have a fulfilling career and a loving family," not "we must attend Latin Mass and overthrow the Lib Pope." Maybe other people can say the second one, but when you're part of one of the only remaining pieces of the monoculture, the Patrick Mahomes And Taylor Swift's Boyfriend Super Bowl Winner, you can't be a sedevacantist trad-husband or else everyone is going to be really mad at you.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:13 pm 

I didn't get the latin mass thing. That was weird.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

My limited understanding of Benedictine U, Atchison, is that the message above would be one that may be embraced there. Which is my guess as to why he chose to deliver it.

"A society without conflicts is a dead society. A society that hides conflicts is a suicidal society. A society that takes conflicts by the hand is a society of the future," the pope told some 12,500 people gathered in the ancient arena... Pope Francis

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:41 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

The hot new trend among Catholic influencers is Latin Mass as part of a general belief that Vatican II turned Catholics into Protestants in denial, an allegation I have to believe is highly interesting to Protestants.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:

Latin Mass is a lightning rod within the Catholic Church. Especially in the US where it has become quite popular in some cities, (St John Cantius-Chicago) for instance.

It is the battleground of changes in the Church that liberal vs traditional Catholics so to speak, argue or fight over constantly.

The board's biggest Latin mass supporter ever would surprise you.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Latin Mass is a lightning rod within the Catholic Church. Especially in the US where it has become quite popular in some cities, (St John Cantius-Chicago) for instance.

It is the battleground of changes in the Church that liberal vs traditional Catholics so to speak, argue or fight over constantly.

My guess is JORR.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 2:42 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

My guess is JORR.

Definitely VeganFan

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

My guess is JORR.

Definitely VeganFan

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
A college friend of mine was a good Lutheran girl who married a rather conservative Catholic boy and converted. She ended up giving up her original career (Masters in Engineering) to raise three kids for financial reasons - day care costs would have eaten up 85% of her post-tax income. She went back and worked nights and caught got a second degree once her kids were all in school and now that they are all adults works full time again.

Her daughter just got a doctorate in some sort of science field, got married, and promptly got pregnant. The daughter doesn't want to work full time and would prefer not to work at all. I'm not sure why she got the degree other than that she met her husband when she was working on her dissertation so she might as well have finished. But she is very much in Butler's target audience: a university degree is what you get in case you are too fucked up to find a husband in college and have to earn your own income for a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Are her kids separated 6 months? Did they have twins?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:41 pm 

Nas wrote:
Are her kids separated 6 months? Did they have twins?

No, my friend had two kids about three years apart and then another one about six years after that. The youngest is about 25.

The daughter just has a single one -year old for now but I suspect they are going to move rapidly for more.

But I've been amazed at how my friend has evolved into a very narrow strain of Catholic belief, with corresponding political drift as well from a moderate Republican to a very single issue one.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:24 am 

How do you think or know how they vote?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:36 am 

Spaulding wrote:
How do you think or know how they vote?

I've known the mom for over 40 years. We have talked about politics enough times.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:14 am 

You knew what the reaction was going to be the moment he said "I want to speak directly to women"

He could have said anything after those words and a vocal minority of women were going to respond negatively.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:17 am 

Nas wrote:
It's really hard for us and it affects our brain. Women don't understand that. God knows we can handle it. That's why we never lose the ability to reproduce.

Not all heroes wear condoms

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:21 am 

Raise your hand, and be honest because I'll know if you are lying (Nas), how many of you actually listened to the speech instead of reading an interpretation from an unbiased news source?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:25 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
You knew what the reaction was going to be the moment he said "I want to speak directly to women"

He could have said anything after those words and a vocal minority of women were going to respond negatively.

Tridentine Mass Dolphin! I disagree. He could have praised them and tied it into their faith. I'm not sure that was great for increasing membership, but you would know better than me.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:37 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Raise your hand, and be honest because I'll know if you are lying (Nas), how many of you actually listened to the speech instead of reading an interpretation from an unbiased news source?

I saw the article and listened to the speech while taking my boys to school. More than 24 hours before this thread was created. I assumed the headline was bullshit. I was wrong.

If you were in Secret Facebook Chat, you would have seen me mention the ovation he received. That wasn't in the article I shared. There's only one way I would have known that. Good Catholic Peeps didn't like it either.

Edit: I shared the story at 7:14 a.m. on Tuesday, May 14th.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:22 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Tridentine Mass Dolphin! I disagree. He could have praised them and tied it into their faith. I'm not sure that was great for increasing membership, but you would know better than me.

Just right off the bat and this has already been said, the audience was like addressing the marines at guantanamo on the 4th of July.

but getting to your last sentence, completely out of the context of this thread and the speech: sure, you can increase membership with some rainbow farting. What is the value of that membership other than to pay the dues? Membership has not increased by trying to be embraced by the world. People see that message and think, rightly so, that they can just be spiritual and not have to waste all this time on "ceremony." What is the use of a membership that so lacks an understanding of their faith that they strongly hold beliefs to the contrary? We get mocked, not praised for Buddy Jesus.

I don't agree with this clip and I've never seen a single episode of the show, but it isn't without some truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpNLiacA2o

Plant your flag. Tell the world who you are and why.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:51 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I saw the article and listened to the speech while taking my boys to school. More than 24 hours before this thread was created. I assumed the headline was bullshit. I was wrong.

If you were in Secret Facebook Chat, you would have seen me mention the ovation he received. That wasn't in the article I shared. There's only one way I would have known that. Good Catholic Peeps didn't like it either.

I'm just fooling with you. I'm sure you did. However, I think your perspective is influenced by the article.

He praises the women for their amazing academic accomplishments. He said that they will achieve many promotions and titles. He said they will lead successful careers. He even calls homemaker one of the most important titles, never THE only or most important.

Yet the world never included any of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JS7RIKSaCc&t=876s

Here's the speech. As an exercise for everyone, click to 11:45, the direct address to women. Listen to 14. Only listen to that part and see if you hear anything differently than you originally did.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

For someone that supposedly "doesn't care" you seem pretty heavily invested in Butker's speech.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:57 am 

I don't like it when athletes share opinions like this. Just play football. I don't need to hear your opinions.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:58 am 

Nas wrote:
[
Tridentine Mass Dolphin! .

and just for some context on me in the comments I make above: I've never been to a Latin Mass. I go to a parish where it's not a rock and roll mass but hardly a fire and brimstone place either. I think the the conservative group would laugh if someone categorized me in their group, let alone the very conservative like Opus Dei.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Brick wrote:
I don't like it when athletes share opinions like this. Just play football. I don't need to hear your opinions.

were you invited to the ceremony ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next