It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harrison Butker
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:00 am 

Brick wrote:
I don't like it when athletes share opinions like this. Just play football. I don't need to hear your opinions.

I'd be underwhelmed as a parent if an NFL kicker was giving the keynote address at a commencement I paid six figures to attend but Henry Kissinger just died, so it was either him or Nikki Glazer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:01 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Raise your hand, and be honest because I'll know if you are lying (Nas), how many of you actually listened to the speech instead of reading an interpretation from an unbiased news source?

I saw the article and listened to the speech while taking my boys to school. More than 24 hours before this thread was created. I assumed the headline was bullshit. I was wrong.

If you were in Secret Facebook Chat, you would have seen me mention the ovation he received. That wasn't in the article I shared. There's only one way I would have known that. Good Catholic Peeps didn't like it either.

Edit: I shared the story at 7:14 a.m. on Tuesday, May 14th.

For someone that supposedly "doesn't care" you seem pretty heavily invested in Butker's speech.

totally

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:07 am 

Brick wrote:
I don't like it when athletes share opinions like this. Just play football. I don't need to hear your opinions.

Shut up and punt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:15 am 

Anyone remember who their commencement speaker was or what he/she said?

I've been to a few and don't recall a single one. I wasn't even sentimental at any of them. Undergrad was just something expected. Post undergrad, fuck those fucks.

I cried at son's. I cried when I dropped him off the first year. I'm a big pussy.

I almost never let good emotions out so I guess its like a dam breaking.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Mine was Jeff Immelt, who’d later go on to destroy GE. He said nothing of note, played it like he was doing a standup bit and gave no indication he planned to destroy a great American company.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
[
Tridentine Mass Dolphin! .

and just for some context on me in the comments I make above: I've never been to a Latin Mass. I go to a parish where it's not a rock and roll mass but hardly a fire and brimstone place either. I think the the conservative group would laugh if someone categorized me in their group, let alone the very conservative like Opus Dei.

Didn't you once lament that Pope Francis was going to far afield for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:38 am 
Site Admin

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Mine was Jeff Immelt, who’d later go on to destroy GE. He said nothing of note, played it like he was doing a standup bit and gave no indication he planned to destroy a great American company.

I don't remember our commencement speaker

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:41 am 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

and just for some context on me in the comments I make above: I've never been to a Latin Mass. I go to a parish where it's not a rock and roll mass but hardly a fire and brimstone place either. I think the the conservative group would laugh if someone categorized me in their group, let alone the very conservative like Opus Dei.

I don't think so. Maybe I did.

I do think he's unfocused but like Wilbon, I don't want to publicly speak badly about a fellow Jesuit.

I recognize it's a monarchy and no one's asking me to be king

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:48 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

I do think he's unfocused but like Wilbon, I don't want to publicly speak badly about a fellow Jesuit.

I recognize it's a monarchy.

You aren't a Jesuit, neither is Wilbon.

Do you consider Francis to be liberal?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:48 am 

We had Wayne Watson our our commencement speaker at MC. College was our retiring president.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
You knew what the reaction was going to be the moment he said "I want to speak directly to women"

He could have said anything after those words and a vocal minority of women were going to respond negatively.

Tridentine Mass Dolphin! I disagree. He could have praised them and tied it into their faith. I'm not sure that was great for increasing membership, but you would know better than me.

Just right off the bat and this has already been said, the audience was like addressing the marines at guantanamo on the 4th of July.

but getting to your last sentence, completely out of the context of this thread and the speech: sure, you can increase membership with some rainbow farting. What is the value of that membership other than to pay the dues? Membership has not increased by trying to be embraced by the world. People see that message and think, rightly so, that they can just be spiritual and not have to waste all this time on "ceremony." What is the use of a membership that so lacks an understanding of their faith that they strongly hold beliefs to the contrary? We get mocked, not praised for Buddy Jesus.

I don't agree with this clip and I've never seen a single episode of the show, but it isn't without some truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpNLiacA2o

Plant your flag. Tell the world who you are and why.

You have to meet people where they are, or you'll be turning out the lights. The Catholic Church has evolved a lot over the years, even when the Pope wasn't in fear of losing his life. That isn't an accident.

I was talking to a biological woman last week. She's a Bible thumper who does great work helping ex-cons get acclimated to life after prison in Atlanta. She was talking about trying to find ways to reach these people before they offended. I mentioned doing something for young children, and she thought there were too many obstacles to accomplish that.

I firmly believe you have to appeal to kids if you want to grow the membership of any church. Embrace social media. Don't be so rigid for some things. Will it be like it was when you were coming of age? No. It never is. It's about keeping the institution alive.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Last edited by Nas on Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:56 am 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

I honsetly don't know what is liberal or conservative as it pertains to the church. Tell me what you think. Your opinion is more informed on these issues than mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Raise your hand, and be honest because I'll know if you are lying (Nas), how many of you actually listened to the speech instead of reading an interpretation from an unbiased news source?

I saw the article and listened to the speech while taking my boys to school. More than 24 hours before this thread was created. I assumed the headline was bullshit. I was wrong.

If you were in Secret Facebook Chat, you would have seen me mention the ovation he received. That wasn't in the article I shared. There's only one way I would have known that. Good Catholic Peeps didn't like it either.

Edit: I shared the story at 7:14 a.m. on Tuesday, May 14th.

I'm just fooling with you. I'm sure you did. However, I think your perspective is influenced by the article.

He praises the women for their amazing academic accomplishments. He said that they will achieve many promotions and titles. He said they will lead successful careers. He even calls homemaker one of the most important titles, never THE only or most important.

Yet the world never included any of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JS7RIKSaCc&t=876s

Here's the speech. As an exercise for everyone, click to 11:45, the direct address to women. Listen to 14. Only listen to that part and see if you hear anything differently than you originally did.

I did this exercise when Spaulding asked if I had listened to the speech. It didn't change my view of his statement.

Admittedly, I'm probably somewhat sensitive to his words and the reaction of the parents because my Y chromosome isn't undefeated. That said, I think your faith is one of your blind spots.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:59 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

I was kidding. It was based on a statement from Crest or Curious Hair over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:03 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
[

I honsetly don't know what is liberal or conservative as it pertains to the church. Tell me what you think. Your opinion is more informed on these issues than mine.

I think the whole liberal/conservative thing is such a waste of time.

I personally think Francis is awesome.

One of our daughter's is married to an Argentinian. What we were told is that when the Jesuits exiled Francis in Argentina, before he became a bishop, he would get personal spiritual direction from Opus Dei priests and attend their retreats and means of formation. That would surprise MANY I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:06 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
You knew what the reaction was going to be the moment he said "I want to speak directly to women"

He could have said anything after those words and a vocal minority of women were going to respond negatively.

Tridentine Mass Dolphin! I disagree. He could have praised them and tied it into their faith. I'm not sure that was great for increasing membership, but you would know better than me.

Just right off the bat and this has already been said, the audience was like addressing the marines at guantanamo on the 4th of July.

but getting to your last sentence, completely out of the context of this thread and the speech: sure, you can increase membership with some rainbow farting. What is the value of that membership other than to pay the dues? Membership has not increased by trying to be embraced by the world. People see that message and think, rightly so, that they can just be spiritual and not have to waste all this time on "ceremony." What is the use of a membership that so lacks an understanding of their faith that they strongly hold beliefs to the contrary? We get mocked, not praised for Buddy Jesus.

I don't agree with this clip and I've never seen a single episode of the show, but it isn't without some truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpNLiacA2o

Plant your flag. Tell the world who you are and why.

You have to meet people where they are, or you'll be turning out the lights. The Catholic Church has evolved a lot over the years, even when the Pope wasn't in fear of losing his life. That isn't an accident.

I was talking to a biological woman last week. She's a Bible thumper who does great work helping ex-cons get acclimated to life after prison in Atlanta. She was talking about trying to find ways to reach these people before they offended. I mentioned doing something for young children, and she thought there were too many obstacles to accomplish that.

I firmly believe you have to appeal to kids if you want to grow the membership of any church. Embrace social media. Don't be so rigged for some things. Will it be like it was when you were coming of age? No. It never is. It's about keeping the institution alive.

working with fellow sinners is a cornerstone, but, when the time is appropriate and they are able to receive the message, you do have to tell them to sin no more. It's like Sr. Prejean in Dead Man Walking. She isn't withholding her ministry from a man who is a rapist and murderer but he does have to come to acknowledgement that what he did was a sin by his own hand in order to receive the forgiveness she is preaching

I wouldn't advocate starting a conversation with someone laying in the gutter that they are a sinner. You have to ascend a hierarchy of needs.

As far as the medium for delivering the message, I'm game for anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Anyone remember who their commencement speaker was or what he/she said?

I've been to a few and don't recall a single one. I wasn't even sentimental at any of them. Undergrad was just something expected. Post undergrad, fuck those fucks.

I cried at son's. I cried when I dropped him off the first year. I'm a big pussy.

I almost never let good emotions out so I guess its like a dam breaking.

Graduations are primarily recruiting tools. In theory, the people you invite to the ceremonies have similar values and income. That doesn't mean a speaker can't go too far. It should be pointed out that the nuns objected to his statements. Of course, they should know their place.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:13 am 

Religion is like Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was very useful for a time but those days are past and it's just counting down the clock until it is gone forever.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:19 am 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Religion is like Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was very useful for a time but those days are past and it's just counting down the clock until it is gone forever.

I think it's still a net positive for society. I just think too many leaders have been too rigid and slow to evolve. It's not generally a bad idea to mix some young blood in with the old heads. Having people around who strongly agree with everything you believe is a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:

Ridiculous. Religion is part of human nature. It will ALWAYS be here. If man isn't practicing whatever it is you're calling "religion", he'll be practicing something else that is just as much a religion, whether that's faith in vaccines that is unsupported by evidence or Climate Change or Black Lives Matter or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
this is probably old news, but the Chargers schedule release video made light of this controversy and others.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:25 am 

Brick wrote:

Robespierre was eventually a victim of the guillotine, himself.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:27 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

Did they sell Robespierres at BBB?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

Human nature NEVER changes. We're currently changing the calendar just like those Frogs did. Why do you think Easter is now Trans Recognition Day? Brick is probably more religious than anyone here.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

Did they sell Robespierres at BBB?

Do you know what a dehydrated frenchman does at a urinal?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

Ridiculous. Religion is part of human nature. It will ALWAYS be here. If man isn't practicing whatever it is you're calling "religion", he'll be practicing something else that is just as much a religion, whether that's faith in vaccines that is unsupported by evidence or Climate Change or Black Lives Matter or whatever.

protests are Mass. The chanting, the sermon, the martyring.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Seacrest wrote:
But Wilbon is a Wildcat. Did you know that?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

That discounts the role of religion if it is just a manifestation of human nature. Sure, people will have something that guides them in life. The fact that religion can work in parallel to that is fine but also unimportant. It's not like if someone stopped going to church on Sunday they'd start robbing banks.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:02 am 

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:

That discounts the role of religion if it is just a manifestation of human nature. Sure, people will have something that guides them in life. The fact that religion can work in parallel to that is fine but also unimportant. It's not like if someone stopped going to church on Sunday they'd start robbing banks.

You're trying to impose your colonialist moralities on me by making such a statement that robbing a bank is something I shouldn't do. Leave this space colonizer.

If I have greater need for the money and will use it for a better purpose than you, why should you get to keep it from me, colonizer? The truth is, its you who is robbing from me by withholding it from me.

Anyway, they have insurance.

You dig?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next