It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
https://miami.rivals.com/news/american- ... mi-players

These guys are going to be making millions when this is all done with.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
They should make a bunch but of course since it’s the NCAA they’ll get it in the sleaziest way possible. Some billionaire’s kid will walk on some elite team and the family business will pay stupid NIL $ to the rest of the team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
KDdidit wrote:
They should make a bunch but of course since it’s the NCAA they’ll get it in the sleaziest way possible. Some billionaire’s kid will walk on some elite team and the family business will pay stupid NIL $ to the rest of the team.

I think you are on to something here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:35 am 

KDdidit wrote:

Sounds like high level AAU or IMG. Get the kid who sucks with the rich dad to cover everyone else.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Sounds like a pay cut @ Miami.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:39 pm 

Get that paper I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Welcome to the wild west. NCAA is going to be a clusterfuck as a result of NIL's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:45 am 

It’s always been a clusterfuck but at least the kids get some more $ now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:48 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Get that paper I guess.

I understand "amateur" is a very blurry line in today's world, but breakdown those couple tweets. You have a player with a scholarship to the school, also under contract with an outside entity, and also officially has an agent. Bonus points for admitting his "college" experience is 100% about "show me the money!". Just start a real bball minor league and be done with it. Probably don't have a bunch of rich boosters looking to drop millions on the Des Moines Bulls though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Augie wrote:
Welcome to the wild west. NCAA is going to be a clusterfuck as a result of NIL's.

yep. I like NIL's and I like being able to transfer without sitting a year, but having both of those at the same time is a disaster.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
shakes wrote:
Augie wrote:

yep. I like NIL's and I like being able to transfer without sitting a year, but having both of those at the same time is a disaster.

It’s definitely new/uncomfortable, but I don’t know how you can have a payment scheme without having the ability for the person being paid to negotiate. Can you condition the NIL contract on participation at a specific school?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:07 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
shakes wrote:
Augie wrote:

It’s definitely new/uncomfortable, but I don’t know how you can have a payment scheme without having the ability for the person being paid to negotiate. Can you condition the NIL contract on participation at a specific school?

I would think you could do that for the current year, and possibly have clawbacks for prior years. There are two problems there: (1) good luck getting the clawback and (2) it will be a race to the bottom and nobody will have clawbacks.

You likely would have the best shot to condition it on where you are playing in the current year. You could set the payment schedule to coincide with the end of the academic year and condition it on enrollment for that whole period.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:10 am 

Augie wrote:

10 years ago a scholarship athlete would say: I can't transfer, I'm working for free and my coaches keep making more and more money. The NCAA is a clusterfuck.

The NCAA member schools had a long runway to figure out a way to pay players and allow them freedom to transfer in an organized manner. They chose to be obstructionist on both, now it's out of their control.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Just turn the NCAA into a defined set of U21 or U23 leagues. Nobody cares if anyone goes to class, so just stop the charade. If a kid wants a scholarship and actually wants to go to class, sure let him or her do that. But enough with the mandatory theatrics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:12 pm 

As an alum of a private school with a $200MM practice facility for football sitting on the lakefront, the sport passed ridiculous decades ago. Good for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Just turn the NCAA into a defined set of U21 or U23 leagues. Nobody cares if anyone goes to class, so just stop the charade. If a kid wants a scholarship and actually wants to go to class, sure let him or her do that. But enough with the mandatory theatrics.

It's ridiculous, but college sports need the myth of the student athlete to continue to be relevant. If they openly admit that they're nothing more than a minor league for professional sports, and treat their players accordingly, people will eventually be as interested in college sports as they are the Charlotte Knights.

Last edited by Warren Newson on Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:32 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:

It's ridiculous, but college sports need the myth of the student athlete to continue to be relevant. If they openly admit that they're nothing more than a minor league for professional sports, and treat they're players accordingly, people will eventually be as interested in college sports as they are the Charlotte Knights.

Strangely enough my son was just commenting on the high price of a minor league game in Nashville. He didn't complain, he just went to a Vanderbilt game. Which always draws a good crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:50 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

It's ridiculous, but college sports need the myth of the student athlete to continue to be relevant. If they openly admit that they're nothing more than a minor league for professional sports, and treat they're players accordingly, people will eventually be as interested in college sports as they are the Charlotte Knights.

Strangely enough my son was just commenting on the high price of a minor league game in Nashville. He didn't complain, he just went to a Vanderbilt game. Which always draws a good crowd.

That new stadium in Nashville is very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:34 pm 

I've heard that it is. But like most of newer Nashville, very antiseptic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:39 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I'd rather go to a SEC baseball game than a 3 ring circus minor league game any day. Hell, I'd rather go to a high school game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:47 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I'd rather go to a SEC baseball game than a 3 ring circus minor league game any day. Hell, I'd rather go to a high school game.

When I lived in Atlanta during the late eighties, I never thought about a Braves game. But it was nice to see ACC games at Georgia Tech. And free iirc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
One heretofore unmentioned difference between a minor league and a college is that a college doesn't pack up and leave town to go find a newer stadium or some more lucrative tax break. The college helps anchor the team to a location that isn't going to move. This typically means a longer and more consistant history with the program. You do run the risk that the school decides to stop participating in the sport though that seems very unlikely for your football or basketball programs at the top level of the NCAA. There's also a tie in with alumni that you can't get from a minor league team. You can't graduate or get a diploma from a minor league team. And while it is certainly not a requirement that you needed to graduate (or even attend) a school to be a fan, it certainly predisposes one to have a closer tie to the college over the minor league if that is the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:43 pm 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -john-ruiz

That's a lot more than $6k.......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Wait until the Saudis discover the power of sponsoring the SEC to achieve goodwill among the American electorate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 am 

casual fan wrote:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040029-jaden-rashada-reportedly-agreed-to-95m-nil-contract-with-miami-booster-john-ruiz

That's a lot more than $6k.......

I just appreciate the lawyers have found a way to get paid in all of this

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:58 pm 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/9/14/ ... linois-nil

I guess it's just the obvious next step.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:48 pm 

So far not enough NIL $ for Miami to beat Middle Tennessee State

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:02 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
So far not enough NIL $ for Miami to beat Middle Tennessee State

Go Blue Raiders!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:38 pm 

An incoming freshman qb at Florida is walking away from the school because his alleged $13.2MM NIL deal reportedly fell through. Good grief I expected a million or two a year tops, but this is hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
An incoming freshman qb at Florida is walking away from the school because his alleged $13.2MM NIL deal reportedly fell through. Good grief I expected a million or two a year tops, but this is hilarious.

It's the wild west, and no going back now.

Think about how many "star" recruits never even make the NFL. NIL is the only "professional" money they will ever see.