It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 golf pool
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:21 am 

It's time to fill out my 2010 golf pool and the big question is 'where should I pick Tiger?' After last seasons collapse against YE Yang at the PGA I said I'd never take Tiger in a major again BUT the US Open (Pebble) and British (St Andrews) are at two courses he dominates. I was planning on taking him at Doral (March 11) because it's the highest paying non-major on the tour but will he be playing by then?

I already have my picks for The Masters (Phil) and PGA (Vijay).

FYI- you pick 1 player for each tournament and you can only use that player once.

Post subject: Re: 2010 golf pool
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:58 am 

Paging T-Bone and Buryman: Please report to this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I fully expect Tiger to be at the Masters this year now that the wife is leaving.
Best to watch the Florida swing and see if he is playing. I am sure his head will
be swimming a bit but he is a pro and should be able to pull it togther. He does
play well at Doral so that isn't a bad pick. Hope you get in the CSFMB league
this year if we do it again, it was quite enjoyable. Good choice with Phil assuming
his wife and mother are doing well with their battles with cancer. If Phil can keep
up his putting improvements I fully expect him to round back into form. Good article
in the latest issue of GOLF magazine explaining what Dave Stockton did to help him
with his putting stroke. Rookie to watch this year might be Rickie Fowler ( I think
that is his name). Might be worth taking a flyer on him if he is playing well one week.
Hope to see you if we have another golf event this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:15 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I fully expect Tiger to be at the Masters this year now that the wife is leaving.
Best to watch the Florida swing and see if he is playing. I am sure his head will
be swimming a bit but he is a pro and should be able to pull it togther. He does
play well at Doral so that isn't a bad pick. Hope you get in the CSFMB league
this year if we do it again, it was quite enjoyable. Good choice with Phil assuming
his wife and mother are doing well with their battles with cancer. If Phil can keep
up his putting improvements I fully expect him to round back into form. Good article
in the latest issue of GOLF magazine explaining what Dave Stockton did to help him
with his putting stroke. Rookie to watch this year might be Rickie Fowler ( I think
that is his name). Might be worth taking a flyer on him if he is playing well one week.
Hope to see you if we have another golf event this summer.

Yep, you got the name right Rickie Fowler. I truly believe Phil is going to have a dominate year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:03 pm 

Yeah I don't see him sitting out that long either. I'll probably stick with him for Doral. Thanks for the tip on Fowler. Maybe I'll take a flier on him in one of the later tournaments (Frys, Shriners) when all the big names are done for the year.

My sheet has to be filled out by 1-5 so keep an eye on this thread because I may have a couple more questions. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I would save Tiger for the John Deere Classic... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:32 pm 

The John Deere is Zach Johnson's tourney. Always take the home-state guy. At least you know he's going to play.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 am 

I decided to go with Tiger in the Players Championship at Sawgrass. This was the highest paying tournament on tour last season with the winner receiving $1,710,000.

I also decided on the majors.

The Masters- Mickelson
US Open- Ogilvy
British- Poulter
PGA- Stricker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Keyser Soze wrote:
The John Deere is Zach Johnson's tourney. Always take the home-state guy. At least you know he's going to play.

Thus the wink.

Seriously, who did you end up taking for the Deere? I know it's pretty much in Zach's back yard, but it seems like it's a first time winner every year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35 pm 

I'm definitely going with Zach. He finished 2nd last year and earned $321,067. That's a big total in this format. That's why you go with home-state or past winners in the smaller tournaments because you know they will play and (usually) cash a check.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
I'm here but I'm not very good at picking winners, but I'll tell you anyway. I would love to do the Fantasy Golf league again, I think CoF set it up last year and we still have till Jan. 7th till they start.

I think Tiger will come back to play a bit later in the season than last year 3 tournaments before Masters last year. Maybe just Arnie's tourney at Bay Hill?

I think this will be another year where the no names get a chance to win some big tournaments. The pressure will be heavier than ever on Tiger to not only win but be perfect to news, fans, etc.

The big guys will win some tournaments but I will never pick Poulter till he wins something, seems he can never hold it together. Stricker, Perry, Mickelson and some others are better players than a lot of guys but only when they dial it in between the ears. I think 3 out of the 4 majors are surprise winners.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:11 pm 

I'm having a hard time finding tournaments for some big named golfers coming off terrible years. Can I really leave Adam Scott, Anthony Kim, KJ Choi and Justin Rose off my sheet this year?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Keyser Soze wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding tournaments for some big named golfers coming off terrible years. Can I really leave Adam Scott, Anthony Kim, KJ Choi and Justin Rose off my sheet this year?

Yikes, that is scary. Gotta try to find something for those guys. Rose usually plays well in Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm 

I had Sabbatini last week. Nice -10 in the final round. 2nd place finish and a $645,000 pay day. That's a nice start in the pool.

I have Kevin Na this week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
I decided to go with Tiger in the Players Championship at Sawgrass. This was the highest paying tournament on tour last season with the winner receiving $1,710,000.

I also decided on the majors.

The Masters- Mickelson
US Open- Ogilvy
British- Poulter
PGA- Stricker

Moved into 3rd out of 60 players. I also won my Masters pool. Thanks Phil (and Nick Watney).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:49 am 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Thus the wink.

Seriously, who did you end up taking for the Deere? I know it's pretty much in Zach's back yard, but it seems like it's a first time winner every year.

Lipid, if you're going to the event give Zach a kick in the ass for me. I know he's not going to win but a top 10 finish would be nice.