It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
SHARK is right. Not so much about Cutler's attitude, but more due to the fact that they can't give the Broncos as much as the other teams involved here.

The Bears could offer every pick for the next 3 drafts to get him. They just aren't dumb enough to overpay for Cutler who is far from the sure thing he is being made out to be.

Upgrade over Orton? Definately.
Upgrade over Orton + 2-3 valuable draft picks? Possibly.

The Bears offense has many question marks. OL, WR, and QB. Improving one of those and losing the chance to improve 2-3 of those is taking a big chance.
Boilermaker Rick, the last time the Bears dealt their first round pick for a starting QB, it was a disaster by the name of Rick Mirer in a deal with Seattle. I'm not saying Jay Cutler is Rick Mirer, but this is nothing more than a pipedream and the Bears simply don't have nearly enough to get this guy from Denver. They want 2 first round picks at minimum for Cutler, and it's not happening here. Forget it, Bear fans. CUTLER'S NOT COMING TO CHICAGO! Kyle Orton is the starting QB next year and for the near future. End of story.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
Mac wrote:
My mistake, indeed. No excuses. I had a factual error and, given its importance to my point, makes a column a failure. I need to do my.....

Amidst debate about Cutler's ability and whether the Bears should get him.... why is NOBODY mentioning the Bears do NOT have the staff capable of developing him? That's kind of important and I should have played that up more in the column.

hackwilson's ribbies wrote:
I understand the limitations of the Bears coaching staff in developing young talent, but that's an indictment of them and I'm not completely concerned because Cutler already has NFL experience and he's been through the wringer a bit already.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac wrote:
My mistake, indeed. No excuses. I had a factual error and, given its importance to my point, makes a column a failure. I need to do my.....

Amidst debate about Cutler's ability and whether the Bears should get him.... why is NOBODY mentioning the Bears do NOT have the staff capable of developing him? That's kind of important and I should have played that up more in the column.

So then, your logic is that da Bears shouldn't ever get a top flight QB because the coaches suck?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
loved the Uncle Rico reference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:49 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
loved the Uncle Rico reference.

I will admit that the Uncle Rico reference made me chuckle.

The rest was pure shit though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:50 pm 

noted, hackwilsonsribbies.... i saw you had that. when i said 'nobody'... i meant figuratively, not literally. it's amazing to me all the debate is on cutler's skills... cutler's attitude... how much you want to part with draft picks, etc., and the bears long-standing tradition of not developing skilled position players doesn't get the time of day.

to your question, gloop, i don't mean that. i think in this instance it is foolish to give up high draft picks for a guy who likely won't reach his potential with this coaching staff. i'm all for a skilled quarterback fronting the bears. i think this is a risk/reward dealio. i'd pass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 pm 

i should open a restaurant in your neighborhood, gloop. i will serve filet of pure shit every thursday, knowing your sorry ass will be the first through the door to sit down for full plate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Your reasoning is stupid. Why would you trust them developing the high draft picks that you don't want to give up for Cutler?

Cutler is a top draft pick. He's only 25. So there is 1 for 1 right there. Then you have to give up one more. It's a no brainer.

Hell, this coaching staff got to 9-7 with Kyle Orton. You don't think they would have been 2 or 3 games better with Cutler?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Cutler already got developed in Denver. Did you see his numbers? Forget the numbers, just watch him. He's an elite talent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:58 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Your reasoning is stupid. Why would you trust them developing the high draft picks that you don't want to give up for Cutler?

Cutler is a top draft pick. He's only 25. So there is 1 for 1 right there. Then you have to give up one more. It's a no brainer.

Hell, this coaching staff got to 9-7 with Kyle Orton. You don't think they would have been 2 or 3 games better with Cutler?

The Bears don't have nearly enough to give the Broncos, Beardown, for Cutler...Besides, you really think QB coach Pep Hamilton can develop him better than Kyle Orton? I wish sports talk radio, the Internet & newspaper columnists would stop this crap about Cutler right now. It's a pipedream and NOT REALISTIC!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm 

Mac wrote:
noted, hackwilsonsribbies.... i saw you had that. when i said 'nobody'... i meant figuratively, not literally. it's amazing to me all the debate is on cutler's skills... cutler's attitude... how much you want to part with draft picks, etc., and the bears long-standing tradition of not developing skilled position players doesn't get the time of day.

to your question, gloop, i don't mean that. i think in this instance it is foolish to give up high draft picks for a guy who likely won't reach his potential with this coaching staff. i'm all for a skilled quarterback fronting the bears. i think this is a risk/reward dealio. i'd pass.

Then what is to be done with this coaching staff? Isn't one of their primary functions to evaluate and develop their employees? Why the hell do we have to accept the fact that our ownership doesn't see that they're just dumping money on "products" (players=commodities) that will never fulfill expectations because they are not used correctly. God, I hate this team - I wish they would've moved out of state a decade ago like they were talking about so I could have just divorced myself from this shitty franchise...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i honestly want the bears to stick with a QB and see if they can develop their team. there has not been much indication they can do that on offense with the exception of a couple of seasons the past 13 years.

they tried with Rex. It didn't work. but they tried....much better than the carousel of castoffs they had pre 06.
Keep trying with Kyle. If that doesn't work and the bears suck this year, draft a guy with the 11th(?) pick in 2010 then and start over.
I have a hard time believing that Cutler makes the Bears that much better....one game maybe?

It's a broken record. Pick a fucking guy and go with him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
Beardown wrote:

The Bears don't have nearly enough to give the Broncos, Beardown, for Cutler...Besides, you really think QB coach Pep Hamilton can develop him better than Kyle Orton? I wish sports talk radio, the Internet & newspaper columnists would stop this crap about Cutler right now. It's a pipedream and NOT REALISTIC!

Christ, Cutler would make me look like a good coach just cuz he's good. People put too much stock in coaches sometimes. Good players are good players. Cutler is already good. Turner is a good OC. Somehow this bad Bears coaching staff got the team to a Super Bowl. People seem to forget that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:07 pm 

[quote="Beardown
Christ, Cutler would make me look like a good coach just cuz he's good. People put too much stock in coaches sometimes. Good players are good players. Cutler is already good. Turner is a good OC. Somehow this bad Bears coaching staff got the team to a Super Bowl. People seem to forget that.[/quote]

It can be argued that Ron Rivera's defense got those Bears to the SB - He's not a part of this bad coaching staff...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 pm 

Guys, I'll never understand why the Bears fired Ron Rivera after they went to the Super Bowl...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Quote:
Cutler already got developed in Denver. Did you see his numbers? Forget the numbers, just watch him. He's an elite talent.

Slow down there. He is not that good. He has issues and I question his leadership ability. I'm real close to getting on this wagon but I'm not willing to give up that much.

Quote:
Turner is a good OC.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The coach argument makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

[quote="Beardown
Christ, Cutler would make me look like a good coach just cuz he's good. People put too much stock in coaches sometimes. Good players are good players. Cutler is already good. Turner is a good OC. Somehow this bad Bears coaching staff got the team to a Super Bowl. People seem to forget that.

It can be argued that Ron Rivera's defense got those Bears to the SB - He's not a part of this bad coaching staff...[/quote]

It can also be argued that Ron Rivera's defense got torched by the Steelers in the playoffs last year. I think they gave up 32 or 35 points. Whatever. It was also Lovie's defense when Ron was here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:
Quote:

Slow down there. He is not that good. He has issues and I question his leadership ability. I'm real close to getting on this wagon but I'm not willing to give up that much.

Quote:
Turner is a good OC.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The coach argument makes no sense to me.

He's a top 10 QB right now with elite talent. Could get better. I like Turner. You don't. I won't be able to convince you otherwise. I'd give up a 1,2 and a 3 for him. It doesn't look like the Bears will get him. But if another team gets him for something the Bears could have offered I'm gonna be pissed.

If Orton sucks we're gonna have to draft or sign a QB next year. If he's decent this year we'll have to sign him to a fairly large contract. But there is no way Orton will be better than Cutler. So why not just get Cutler if it's possible?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:30 pm 

Beardown wrote:
[quote="Beardown

It can be argued that Ron Rivera's defense got those Bears to the SB - He's not a part of this bad coaching staff...

It can also be argued that Ron Rivera's defense got torched by the Steelers in the playoffs last year. I think they gave up 32 or 35 points. Whatever. It was also Lovie's defense when Ron was here.[/quote]

Point taken. I was just being responsible and pointing out a flaw in your statement, however :wink: The point that Mac and I both had and I was attempting to reinforce is the inability of this coaching staff to develop talent. If you feel that this administration is doing a great job at evaluating and developing talent, then I must respectfully disagree with you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:38 pm 

Beardown wrote:
But there is no way Orton will be better than Cutler. So why not just get Cutler if it's possible?

Because Cutler would have to be significantly better than Orton to make you at least break even. That may happen but it is just as likely that it won't. He'll be better than Orton without a very strong jump in level of play.

Let's use your scenario of giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for him from last year.

Would the Bears be better for the next 5 years with Orton + Williams + Forte + Bennett or with Cutler?

I don't really know the answer to that. Cutler is a clear upgrade over Orton but Cutler isn't the savior and the Broncos are ready to get rid of a "future top 5 NFL QB" so there has to be something there. I doubt the Broncos have a high opinion of his future in the league and they've seen him more than anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
SHARK wrote:
Forget it, Bear fans. CUTLER'S NOT COMING TO CHICAGO! Kyle Orton is the starting QB next year and for the near future. End of story.

Sports with Attitude and Bite!!!

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

I actually meant I'd give up a 1, 1 and 3. Cuz they want two number 1s.

But yes, Rick, to all of your questions. They would be better in 5 years. Cutler is a significant upgrade to Orton. Way more than you think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I agree with Beardown on that. Orton is not as good as you want him to be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I agree with Beardown on that. Orton is not as good as you want him to be.

I swear people see that I am a Purdue fan and think that I have some sort of supreme bias about it. I heard it for the whole time I was bashing Rex. It turns out I was right on the money on that.

I've said multiple times that if the Bears can get Cutler he would be a clear upgrade over Orton. He is much better than Kyle Orton.

However, your team is not upgraded if you give up a ton for him. Where would the Bears have been last year without Forte? Where would they be without Greg Olsen? Bennett and Williams have been busts but Williams is slated to contribute big this season.

Draft picks are so valuable. There are 22 starting positions. Upgrading 3 positions can be better than upgrading 1 position.

Would the Vikings trade for Herschel Walker again?
Would the Saints trade for Ricky Williams again?
Would the Bears trade a first round pick for Rick Mirer again?

If I was truly a Kyle Orton homer, I would want this to happen and for Orton to be shipped out to Denver where he could play with an actual receiver or two.

I don't think Jay Culter will ever be a top 5 NFL QB. I think he'll be top 10 for many years. He's not going to be Tom Brady. He's not going to be Peyton Manning. I don't even think he'll be Donovan McNabb or Drew Brees. The Broncos obviously agree with me since they wanted one year wonder Matt Cassell to replace future NFL superstar Jay Cutler.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
[quote="Beardown"] Why would you trust them developing the high draft picks that you don't want to give up for Cutler?[quote]

I agree with Beardown. Normally giving up two first round picks is a bad idea. But this regime has little success with first round picks. Angelo doesn't seem to be a fan of first round picks. Sweaty Teddy and the McClaskey family don't like to pay out large first round signing bonuses. So isn't giving up two first round picks for Cutler a win-win for all parties involved?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
Somebody finally listened. Thank you Jerry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

We Did It'

Sun-Times broke it:

Bears get their quarterback in trade for Cutler

The Bears acquired quarterback Jay Cutler today for No. 1 draft picks in 2009 and 2010, a No. 3 pick this year and Kyle Orton, the Sun-Times has learned. The Bears receive the Broncos' fifth-round draft pick this year. Cutler, 25, is coming off a Pro Bowl season with the Broncos, but he became disgruntled and wanted a trade after learning Denver was considering a deal for quarterback Matt Cassel.

I love Jerry Angelo. Woo Hoo!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:34 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
SHARK is right. Not so much about Cutler's attitude, but more due to the fact that they can't give the Broncos as much as the other teams involved here.

The Bears could offer every pick for the next 3 drafts to get him. They just aren't dumb enough to overpay for Cutler who is far from the sure thing he is being made out to be.

Upgrade over Orton? Definately.
Upgrade over Orton + 2-3 valuable draft picks? Possibly.

The Bears offense has many question marks. OL, WR, and QB. Improving one of those and losing the chance to improve 2-3 of those is taking a big chance.
Boilermaker Rick, the last time the Bears dealt their first round pick for a starting QB, it was a disaster by the name of Rick Mirer in a deal with Seattle. I'm not saying Jay Cutler is Rick Mirer, but this is nothing more than a pipedream and the Bears simply don't have nearly enough to get this guy from Denver. They want 2 first round picks at minimum for Cutler, and it's not happening here. Forget it, Bear fans. CUTLER'S NOT COMING TO CHICAGO! Kyle Orton is the starting QB next year and for the near future. End of story.

Hey SHAAAAAAAARK?!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:40 pm 

Maybe bigfan can delete this thread

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:53 pm 

How funny is this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next