It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:33 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Clawmaster wrote:
Shows used to be filled with sound clips making fun of a host/guest/caller screwing up a name or a caller acting the fool. Hosts regularly challenged team reps, columnists, each other. Each show had listener driven unique fun segment (caning, who you crappin', shot clock, etc.) Personality driven radio with some offbeat guys yakkin' about sports.

Impossible today because they would never dare do anything to challenge or embarrass a guest/host and they never take callers. Larry Horse would never have a job today. None of the hosts/producers are clever enough to come up with unique fun segments. Could never get a Neil from Northlake call through today.

So (have to use Nagy "so's" now because he likely has a short shelf life) we have show after show, segment after segment of tedious, non-personality driven radio. The hosts today would not have been considered for spots at the genesis of the station.

Well said. Gutless, cookie cutter, unimaginative radio. Main concern now is to bow to their liberal PC god. Guys who've never made a fist pushing data. We must all conforn. No more fun radio. No varied opinions on life. Play everything safe.

Here's a clip I dug up of the Score's program director going over the upcoming days show with a yes man host.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:34 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Shows used to be filled with sound clips making fun of a host/guest/caller screwing up a name or a caller acting the fool. Hosts regularly challenged team reps, columnists, each other. Each show had listener driven unique fun segment (caning, who you crappin', shot clock, etc.) Personality driven radio with some offbeat guys yakkin' about sports.

Impossible today because they would never dare do anything to challenge or embarrass a guest/host and they never take callers. Larry Horse would never have a job today. None of the hosts/producers are clever enough to come up with unique fun segments. Could never get a Neil from Northlake call through today.

So (have to use Nagy "so's" now because he likely has a short shelf life) we have show after show, segment after segment of tedious, non-personality driven radio. The hosts today would not have been considered for spots at the genesis of the station.

Well said. Gutless, cookie cutter, unimaginative radio. Main concern now is to bow to their liberal PC god. Guys who've never made a fist pushing data. We must all conforn. No more fun radio. No varied opinions on life. Play everything safe.

Here's a clip I dug up of the Score's program director going over the upcoming days show with a yes man host.

I also don't remember having so many score "experts" back in the glory days. Do we really need to hear from all the media "experts" when they basically say the same talking points as the hosts?

Only guest I enjoy are the ex players.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:22 am 

YOu also have to consider that they have declared their corporate synergy with (currently) two of the teams they are supposed to cover. Hosts have revealed that they have had meetings with team execs of their corporate partners to discuss/alter the way they cover the team.

The entire mission of the Score has been flipped from its origins. It's no longer fans talking to fans. It is back to the pre Score sports talk days of "experts" talking AT fans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:30 am 

I don't think North, Murph or Mac ever considered themselves experts on anything. Just blowhard opinionated fans/hosts. Willing to hear opinions, and certainly argue about them. Bernstein started "I am an expert God-like host " thing cutting off, shouting down callers opinions, and encouraging listeners vitriol. Parkins borrows a lot of Bernstein's not his contempt, but listeners are brain dead peasants not in my class mentality.

There's still some great guests. Hub, Boomer, Michal Lombardi, Sage R. You can tell Coomer, and Thayer are frustrated being guests caught in the Score/Cubs/Bears marriage regularly taking long pauses thinking their response out thoroughly not to cross the line.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Clawmaster wrote:

On Parkins and Speigel they routinely play sound bites making fun of other hosts, including themselves. Obviously, they don't to this with Holmes since he so thin-skinned and has a lot of angry tendencies. I agree that segments like Friday Fung and WYC are sorely missed. But if you remember, there was a lot of criticism on this forum about WYC in the last few years that it ran.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

On Parkins and Speigel they routinely play sound bites making fun of other hosts, including themselves. Obviously, they don't to this with Holmes since he so thin-skinned and has a lot of angry tendencies. I agree that segments like Friday Fung and WYC are sorely missed. But if you remember, there was a lot of criticism on this forum about WYC in the last few years that it ran.

Segments like those rely on good callers who are able to get their stories across, and good hosts who are able to engage the caller to get into a conversation.

There aren't many who can do that effectively.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:08 pm 

Huge difference how P & S interview Boomer & Olin Kreutz. They appear to be petrified of Kreutz. No pissy snide remarks on Kreutz's thoughts. Only marveling on his insight. No signature Spiegel's faint sighs of disgust. Spiegel's vast O line knowledge touched on data as an evaluating tool, which Kreutz downplayed. 2 trained poodles sitting up for a treat with Kreutz. 2 pissy bitches with Boomer. So bad it's good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
vitoscotti wrote:
Huge difference how P & S interview Boomer & Olin Kreutz. They appear to be petrified of Kreutz. No pissy snide remarks on Kreutz's thoughts. Only marveling on his insight. No signature Spiegel's faint sighs of disgust. Spiegel's vast O line knowledge touched on data as an evaluating tool, which Kreutz downplayed. 2 trained poodles sitting up for a treat with Kreutz. 2 pissy bitches with Boomer. So bad it's good.

Is Kreutz in studio?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Maybe Boomer is in on the gag.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:18 am 

P & S did the pissy bitches act on Jim Miller a few years back, and It got pretty hostile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
why does kreutz have the vanilla ice/snoop dog twang in his spoken voice? cultural appropriation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:07 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
why does kreutz have the vanilla ice/snoop dog twang in his spoken voice? cultural appropriation.

Born: June 9, 1977 (age 44 years), Honolulu, HI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:16 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

It's a Hawaiian accent. It sounds like Minnesota Jamaican to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:24 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Curious Hair wrote:
It's a Hawaiian accent. It sounds like Minnesota Jamaican to me.

vitoscotti wrote:

Born: June 9, 1977 (age 44 years), Honolulu, HI

well, i've heard the legend don ho and remember some native hawaiians (not hawaii you) speaking on hawaii 5-O and mr. kreutz still sounds off a bit. yes, i knew he was from hawaii, he must be from the unforgiving mean streets of honolulu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
So did our boys salivate over Fields performance yesterday ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:56 am 

Hub talked to B & R how horrendous Fields looked (hosts seemed to yawn). But, the consensus is in Chicago media Fields will be a top tier hof QB. His near last basic QB stats are deemed unimportant. Curious how Mitch and Fields (were and are) judged by different standards and length of learning curve. Even Hub is all in on Fields. I've never heard Fields lack of elusiveness of the first possible sacker discussed. Even Cutler had this knack. Fields bad play Sunday was touched on slightly by Boomer. P & S didn't really respond much to Boomer on Fields bad play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 pm 

Mark Potash on with P & S. Parkins thinks Fields well save the franchise.

Parkins- I think what's happening in Cincinnati is a good one (example). Cincinnati...The Bungles... forever. Get the #1 pick and it's Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow looks like he could be a top 5 QB. For a long ass time. That's the hope with Justin Fields. That he's Bears proof. That's he's the magic elixir on all of this.

Mark Potash- Right now the early evidence is he's not. (a rare Chicago media honest opinion on Fields)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 am 

Even Burrow, who I have full faith in, hasn't lit it up as expected yet and Fields is far behind him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
vitoscotti wrote:
Mark Potash on with P & S. Parkins thinks Fields well save the franchise.

Parkins- I think what's happening in Cincinnati is a good one (example). Cincinnati...The Bungles... forever. Get the #1 pick and it's Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow looks like he could be a top 5 QB. For a long ass time. That's the hope with Justin Fields. That he's Bears proof. That's he's the magic elixir on all of this.

Mark Potash- Right now the early evidence is he's not. (a rare Chicago media honest opinion on Fields)

Rick Morrissey has also been telling people to pump the brakes on the Fields hysteria.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:55 pm 

Parkins did a good job interviewing Steve Stone by minimizing his participation after a question.

Interesting SS never was employed by the Cubs (like he is with the Sox), but by WGN when he broadcasted Cubs games.

Kinda touched on his Murph feud.

He also threw in a little dig about the current Score's lack of listener participation (phone calls) citing how enjoyable meeting & talking to fans was when he did Score remotes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
vitoscotti wrote:
Parkins did a good job interviewing Steve Stone by minimizing his participation after a question.

Interesting SS never was employed by the Cubs (like he is with the Sox), but by WGN when he broadcasted Cubs games.

He also threw in a little dig about the current Score's lack of listener participation (phone calls) citing how enjoyable meeting & talking to fans was when he did Score remotes.

Having callers would be less time for Parkins to pontificate ala his hero Nick Wright.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:11 pm 

He's the worst. (Mike Murphy)
-Danny Parkins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
vitoscotti wrote:

Kind of a distinction without a difference when we're talking about the Trib, though, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:06 am 

I would think Stone loathes interacting with the peasants, unless it is the people who worship him

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:
I would think Stone loathes interacting with the peasants, unless it is the people who worship him

...which would be the creepy mouth-breathers who show up for Score remotes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
vitoscotti wrote:

Why do you listen to their show?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:27 pm 

First, Parkins is a gambling expert. Spiegel is a baseball expert. Parkins is Mr football. What's next?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:05 pm 

Barry Rozner on with P & S. Very strange hearing someone with a wit on the Score.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 pm 

Hanley on today said the Cubs are very involved in what can & can't be said about the team by Score hosts. Contradicting what Parkins and other Score hosts have falsely claimed.

I used to Score host the Ricketts thing at the Cubs convention, and we'd have a week's worth of conference calls, and emails, and talking points. And don't ask this, and we don't want to talk about that.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:00 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Hanley on today said the Cubs are very involved in what can & can't be said about the team by Score hosts. Contradicting what Parkins and other Score hosts have falsely claimed.

I used to Score host the Ricketts thing at the Cubs convention, and we'd have a week's worth of conference calls, and emails, and talking points. And don't ask this, and we don't want to talk about that.

I don't think Parkins is lying. I just think, as I wrote to him here, that the Cubs don't feel they need to give direction to a guy who is already waving pom poms for the team

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next