It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 pm 

I know how much you love it, Big Fan, when I write something nice about somebody. Get your Sun-Times early tomorrow. I pre-emptively want to refuse to apologize for being a fan of Pat Foley's. I guess in CSFMB parlance, that makes me an ALSer. Guilty as charged... and kudos to Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough for getting Pat back in a headset as soon as they could.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:00 pm 

Mac wrote:
I know how much you love it, Big Fan, when I write something nice about somebody. Get your Sun-Times early tomorrow. I pre-emptively want to refuse to apologize for being a fan of Pat Foley's. I guess in CSFMB parlance, that makes me an ALSer. Guilty as charged... and kudos to Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough for getting Pat back in a headset as soon as they could.

SAWBUCKS
I wonder if MAC will wax poetic about his youth in this one?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I wonder what 20 topics Mac will attempt to address in this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Damn, I actually agree with you, Mac.
McDonough gets some credit for running the Cubs playbook at the United Center and making it work.
But Foley was a HUGE dumbass mistake and they deserve props for understanding that and fixing it.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Darkside wrote:
Damn, I actually agree with you, Mac.
McDonough gets some credit for running the Cubs playbook at the United Center and making it work.
But Foley was a HUGE dumbass mistake and they deserve props for understanding that and fixing it.

Wasn't one of the problems that the previous regime refused to give
Pat any kind of "night" or something during his 25th year of broadcasting for the Hawks? That's got the miserable Bob Pulfords fingerprints all over it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I like Foley, he does a great job. and without reading the article yet, I could say this guy deserves more credit for the work he does, very smooth.

Heard Foley tell a great story about how he got started with the Hawks as well.

His family owned FOLEY BUICK in Wilmette and when Arthur Wirtz took his car in to be serviced, Foleys dad put the tape in the cassette player of Pat Foley doing Grand Rapids IHL games. So right away when Wirtz turned on the car, it was Pat foley giving you "Bannerman with the save" or whoever played in Grand Rapids? Maybe Ogey Oglethorpe?

Wirtiz heard the tape, called Pat Foley and hired him right away. Foley came down to work, signed his deal and got his $100, which was his salary for the first season. (OK, I made up the salary part)

The uplifting Oprah angle is not so bad once in awhile. It's like Gun's N Roses doing the one ballad, just don't make it a habit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Pat Foley is great, and I know I'm nitpicking, but he has lost some speed off his fastball. To me, it seems like he needs glasses or a better prescription for the ones he may already wear. There have been numerous occasions where he's mistakenly called a Hawks player by the wrong name, and it's not even when the action is necessarily fast and furious. I'm willing to look past it, but there have been some instances that I wanted to cite on this site, but I didn't want to sound like a jag because Foley is THE best announcer we've had in this city. And he's still great. I could do without the Mully & Hanley fake laughs, but he's still aces.

I grew up during the great teams of the 80s, and I will never forget the Bannerman call at the old Met. If I'm not mistaken, Darryl Sutter scored the game winner shortly after that infamous "Baaaaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrmannnnnnn!!!!!!!!" shriek. Good stuff.

For the record, Dino sucks...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 am 

Sawbucks

Hawks' vocal fans know Foley belongs

April 16, 2009
BY DAN MCNEIL
When the puck drops tonight in the Blackhawks' first playoff appearance in seven years, you might observe a bit more spring in the step of play-by-play man Pat Foley. It has been that way all season.

It's always easier to embrace something you love when you've had it taken away from you.

For many Hawks fans, Foley's return to the microphone after a two-year hiatus has been as rejuvenating as the team's 104-point season. His crisp descriptions of the fastest-moving game, sense of humor and enthusiasm for his hometown team have been an integral part of the local hockey culture.

One could argue that Foley was the Hawks' biggest star for the several years that followed the club's last postseason cameo in 2002. Even during the darkest hours in team history, Foley was providing spirited dialogue.

Despite the Hawks' woes and shrinking crowds, Foley demonstrated the same enthusiasm as when he was cutting his broadcast teeth as a student at Michigan State. While the other kids were in Daytona for spring break, Foley was in a dormitory basement, flapping his gums on WMSN with sidekick Mark Roth, his elbow-bending buddy and a self-anointed college hoops genius.

So where did the loyal soldier land after more than two decades as the voice of the Hawks?

On the beach. In May 2006, the Hawks mysteriously fired Foley. Nothing beats encoring a dreadful 65-point season than the whacking of a popular franchise frontman.

''I felt like I got kicked in the teeth and don't think I deserved it,'' Foley said. ''Sure, it hurt.''

There have been many hurts, many bruised egos and strained relationships in this often dysfunctional hockey family. Healing those fractures was at the top of John McDonough's to-do list when chairman Rocky Wirtz appointed him Big Chief Blackhawk in the fall of 2007.

McDonough knew Foley's dismissal was unpopular and says ''a lot of fans unplugged their allegiance to the Blackhawks'' as a result.

In 2005-06 and 2006-07, the Hawks were 29th in the NHL in attendance. I'm not suggesting Foley's departure was responsible, but it was yet another horrible gaffe for a team whose fans already had become contemptuous.

Foley spent two seasons calling games for the Hawks' Rosemont neighbor, the Wolves, an organization that has understood the value of customer relations since its birth in 1994.

''On Day 1, we realized we were at odds with former players and a lot of people,'' McDonough said. ''We had to let everybody know we were out of the grudge business. That's why we reconnected with Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and Tony Esposito and guys like Pat. These are pillars of the franchise.''

Foley is one of the rare broadcasters who has earned that claim. When the Hawks arose from the rubble in the mid-'80s, Foley -- the youngest play-by-play man in the league at 26 -- was embarking on one of the greatest runs in Chicago sportscasting history.

He captured the imagination of his audience with his signature ''BAAAN-ER-MAAAN!'' when Hawks goaltender Murray Bannerman made a miraculous save. When the Hawks pushed a superior Edmonton team to six games in the 1985 Campbell Conference finals, Foley's star burned as brightly as the players he covered.

Foley is as synonomous with the team he describes as any current voice in town.

McDonough, the former Cubs marketing mogul who worked side-by-side with the legendary Harry Caray for more than 15 years, acknowledges as much.

''There is a tremendous amount of energy in that voice,'' McDonough said. ''It's the voice of a few generations now. This is his home. This is where he belongs.''

And Foley never has felt more at home than he has this season, one in which the Hawks' about-face on and off the ice is one of the nation's biggest sports business stories. Amid a depressed economy, they led the league in attendance, averaging 22,247. They were 19th last season.

Television ratings on Comcast SportsNet were up more than 100 percent. Sports apparel stores can't keep items with the Indian head logo on the shelves.

''It's been a magical season,'' Foley said. ''There is nobody anywhere that has made this dramatic of a turnaround on and off the ice.

''They're out of hibernation.''

So is Foley. That's as appropriate as postseason hockey in Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Very nice article! Pat does a great job,But I always have been partial to a Jim West.
Does anyone remember his catch phrase?

"Ohh,Oh....LOOK OUT HERE!"
A quick glance of Jim can be found in the Keith Magnuson video below.

http://www.erickson.com/EricksonNews/publicsite/pressreleases.aspx?PRID=1424
Magnuson video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFNifdvlzxg&feature=related

Last edited by jimmypasta on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Not bad. Needs more sawbucks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Count me as a fan. Well done, Mac.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Thought it was ok. Not a huge hockey fan. Get back on the air
soon. B&B have been ok but they are starting to wear on me. I
need me some DaMaNa back on the airwaves. Just be sure to
have the show available via podcast. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:11 am 
1000 CLUB

You tried to catch the spirit of the thing Mac. Old man Wirtz fied Foley because Pat asked to be paid during the lockout so Wirtz paid Pat his money and 10 minutes later fired him according to Mac's favorite Red Wing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:26 am 

Sheer genius. Great point. I never would have thought on my own that it was a good idea to bring Pat Foley back.

Very thought provoking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
"Sheer genius. Great point. I never would have thought on my own that it was a good idea to bring Pat Foley back.

Very thought provoking."
=-=-=
That's not the point of the article, douche...

''It's been a magical season,'' Foley said.

The "point" of the article is clear. Mac is using Foley, the ratings, the attendance, Hull/Esposito/Mikita and McDonough to show why:

"Hockey Never Left Chicago... But it's Definitely Back."

I love it. Great article for the start of the Playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 am 
1000 CLUB

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Sheer genius. Great point. I never would have thought on my own that it was a good idea to bring Pat Foley back.

Very thought provoking.

Dude, the act is running on empty. We get it, you're board and get off on Mac respoding to you're lame posts. I find you to be a bigger doucebag than anyone here and that's saying a lot .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:17 am 

THE WIND SOCK wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Very thought provoking.

Dude, the act is running on empty. We get it, you're board and get off on Mac respoding to you're lame posts. I find you to be a bigger doucebag than anyone here and that's saying a lot .

bored. Douche bag.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:38 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Slap Shot ED wrote:
Mac's favorite Red Wing.

You?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Good to see you're making the most of your time in Church.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.