It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
redskingreg wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
You better believe that most Score hosts will be reading this board tonight & a couple of them will chime in.

No one will say anything.

Well there are a suspicious amount of new posters here...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Great American
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The most hilarious part of this is that they didn't even have Spiegel call in. :lol:

That was kind of amazing. I know the guy is on vacation but some jobs don't get hassle-free vacations.

I've taken an entire week off maybe 3 times in my life and each one of those required at least a few calls to deal with issues that arose.

And my job is not nearly to the level of responsibility of sports radio host.

I know it's probably been a while since you've listened to the midday show, since I assume you have both ears and taste, but I think you're greatly over-estimating the responsibility of a Score radio host.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:

Spot on. When does Bernstein even have to deal with Mcneil other than 10 minutes a day during cross talk? And he should probably take a look at his partner, who doesn't even watch sports and calls in for his own show. Bernstein is lucky. Very lucky. And many of his criticisms of others are nauseating solely because of how oblivious he is to the luck he has.
Good point leash. He sits across from a rotting cadaver on the days when said cadaver deigns to make it into the studio. Management has made its fair share of host friendliness to Boers too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Councilman Les Whinen wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The most hilarious part of this is that they didn't even have Spiegel call in. :lol:

That was kind of amazing. I know the guy is on vacation but some jobs don't get hassle-free vacations.

I've taken an entire week off maybe 3 times in my life and each one of those required at least a few calls to deal with issues that arose.

I know it's probably been a while since you've listened to the midday show, since I assume you have both ears and taste, but I think you're greatly over-estimating the responsibility of a Score radio host.

You're probably right.

I'm sure it's somewhere below "making sure your show is promoted & successful".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Why do you think he was talking about the addicition? Did he specifically mention it? I've been stuck in meetings all day and havent had a chance to flip it on. It sounds like he was annoyed by the amount of leniency Mac had with his bosses. Sure it's petty but do expect anything less out of BernStine?

It's none of Dan's fucking business to what extent Mitch stood by Mac. Yeah, Mac has struggled with depression and addiction and raising a son with significant challenges. Mac has also mastered the art of creating a genuine bond with the listener in the most intimate broadcast medium there is, and in doing so, has made money for his bosses -- the very thing Dan just said is always the most important thing to Score bosses. Perhaps all that adds up to a person worth standing by. When losing that person for significant periods of time causes the ratings to tailspin as they did last year and are right now, it's hard to call that loyalty "to a fault," but Dan went ahead and did it anyway. He should have welcomed Mannelly, wished him well, and shut his mouth before thinking to thank poor Rod Zimmerman for courageously getting rid of a co-worker. What a miserable prick.

He's a bad guy, there's no question about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Why do you think he was talking about the addicition? Did he specifically mention it? I've been stuck in meetings all day and havent had a chance to flip it on. It sounds like he was annoyed by the amount of leniency Mac had with his bosses. Sure it's petty but do expect anything less out of BernStine?

It's none of Dan's fucking business to what extent Mitch stood by Mac. Yeah, Mac has struggled with depression and addiction and raising a son with significant challenges. Mac has also mastered the art of creating a genuine bond with the listener in the most intimate broadcast medium there is, and in doing so, has made money for his bosses -- the very thing Dan just said is always the most important thing to Score bosses. Perhaps all that adds up to a person worth standing by. When losing that person for significant periods of time causes the ratings to tailspin as they did last year and are right now, it's hard to call that loyalty "to a fault," but Dan went ahead and did it anyway. He should have welcomed Mannelly, wished him well, and shut his mouth before thinking to thank poor Rod Zimmerman for courageously getting rid of a co-worker. What a miserable prick.

Devils Advocate here but.... it sort of is his business. He is the driver of the afternoon show on the station. He shows up for work just about everyday, even when it is half assed shortened White Sox shows. He feels like he is the top dog at the station and he sees a guy past his prime, not showing up and mailing it in (Same could be said for Terry of course, and for all we know Dan is furious about it behind the scenes...hell this could be a veiled attack against Terry too). He sees someone coasting along and is pissed about all the attention he gets.

Not saying that this is the best outlook on life but I can understand where he might be coming from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:20 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Spot on. When does Bernstein even have to deal with Mcneil other than 10 minutes a day during cross talk? And he should probably take a look at his partner, who doesn't even watch sports and calls in for his own show. Bernstein is lucky. Very lucky. And many of his criticisms of others are nauseating solely because of how oblivious he is to the luck he has.
Good point leash. He sits across from a rotting cadaver on the days when said cadaver deigns to make it into the studio. Management has made its fair share of host friendliness to Boers too.

I think they've been pretty host friendly to Bernsie too, considering this is the guy who was, at least at one point, actively encouraging listeners to turn the dial if they didn't like his opinions.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
What are the odds that this is one of the shows that doesn't make it to the podcast section?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
SpiralStairs wrote:
What are the odds that this is one of the shows that doesn't make it to the podcast section?

Well hour one is up...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think they've been pretty host friendly to Bernsie too, considering this is the guy who was, at least at one point, actively encouraging listeners to turn the dial if they didn't like his opinions.

Don't forget "it's my show, I can talk about whatever I want!" when people got sick of NBA navel-gazing. That afternoon drive is thrown to the whims and indulgences of the host with no regard to public opinion sounds a lot like being host-friendly to a fault.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:24 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Devils Advocate here but.... it sort of is his business. He is the driver of the afternoon show on the station. He shows up for work just about everyday, even when it is half assed shortened White Sox shows. He feels like he is the top dog at the station and he sees a guy past his prime, not showing up and mailing it in (Same could be said for Terry of course, and for all we know Dan is furious about it behind the scenes...hell this could be a veiled attack against Terry too). He sees someone coasting along and is pissed about all the attention he gets.

Not saying that this is the best outlook on life but I can understand where he might be coming from.

The problem there is the lack of self-reflection Dan exhibits. Dan's been on-air in Chicago for 2 decades and a guy past his prime, not showing up, and mailing it in generates more interest than Bernstein. How is that the other guy's fault?

Its the same thing with all the guys who lost out to Mannelly on the midday show sweepstakes. Guys who've been at this as long as Rozner and Abbatacola can be pissed at the Score all they want but they should think first what it says about them that Pat Mannelly walked in off the streets and took the slot with a much smaller try-out than guys who've been on-air for years.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

In the past year I have taken client calls in line at The Haunted Mansion at Disneyworld and the bookstore at Annapolis. Fucking Meatpants. Why do you make it so hard to like you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
With the proliferation of podcasts, personal websites, videos and other forms of content I fail see how there aren't any good alternatives.

If anything it should be much easier.

@Hank,

The past-his-prime guy was vital in delivering him ratings. He was a bridge to 1PM and his exit from afternoon drive multiple ended years of ass kickings. His bitterness should be aimed at himself for becoming a schlocky shock jock.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:28 pm 

Why is anyone expecting bernstein to do anything less than pounce on those who aren't there? He's a two faced, political bastard - he high fives and laughs with North when he's there so he can be one of the boys ( if you went to early Score remotes when Berns was a reporter and fill in, you know what I mean), then makes fun and attacks when North goes; does the same thing to Murphy , dancing on the murphy's grave after he and Boers won; and now there's Mcneil. It's the same stuff each time - he thinks he's the king of the score; He never, ever says anything to anyone's face - he's the kid at dodgeball who hides so he can look like a winner at the end.

Well, he better watch the ratings, because one thing he did say today was very true - all the score/CBS cares about is money and ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
With the proliferation of podcasts, personal websites, videos and other forms of content I fail see how there aren't any good alternatives.

If anything it should be much easier.

@Hank,

The past-his-prime guy was vital in delivering him ratings. He was a bridge to 1PM and his exit from afternoon drive multiple ended years of ass kickings. His bitterness should be aimed at himself for becoming a schlocky shock jock.

and you can bet your behind he will use the lack of a lead in audience as an excuse for flagging ratings in 1Q and 2Q 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
It's just SO VANILLA. I don't dislike Mannely, but I don't like him. The Score is all the same. There is one personality at the Score, and he is insufferable. The rest are all just the same guy.

Look at their competition. Who'd you want them to hire?

Every single fill in host was better than the Snapper, & it wasn't close. Grote, Rozner, Drinky, all better. I hope the 3 of them tell Mitch to fuck off.

Well, see, you've just disqualified yourself for having an opinion which should be considered. Drinky? Please. Rozner? How much meatball voice can you take? I exceeded my limit months ago. And Leary was one of the fill-ins. Just, bitch please.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

The problem there is the lack of self-reflection Dan exhibits. Dan's been on-air in Chicago for 2 decades and a guy past his prime, not showing up, and mailing it in generates more interest than Bernstein. How is that the other guy's fault?

Its the same thing with all the guys who lost out to Mannelly on the midday show sweepstakes. Guys who've been at this as long as Rozner and Abbatacola can be pissed at the Score all they want but they should think first what it says about them that Pat Mannelly walked in off the streets and took the slot with a much smaller try-out than guys who've been on-air for years.
Disagree. If this isn't the start of football season and Mannelly isn't a former Bear, no way he gets the gig.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I agree that Drinky would not have been a possible alternative. The rest I would pretty much put above Mannely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:33 pm 

didea wrote:
Why is anyone expecting bernstein to do anything less than pounce on those who aren't there? He's a two faced, political bastard - he high fives and laughs with North when he's there so he can be one of the boys ( if you went to early Score remotes when Berns was a reporter and fill in, you know what I mean), then makes fun and attacks when North goes

To be fair, he and Terry ripped North every day for the last two years that North was there. It was often one of the best parts of their show! I don't think North ever made fun of them, though. That's almost always been a one-way street.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Maybe a lame thought, but sh*tty they bring in a millionaire ex-nfler with no experience instead of giving the gig to one of the guys who has busted his tail for this station in the producer or update role making pennies for the past 5-10 years....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

I don't even think it was petty. After all the shit Mitch put up with, I'd argue Mac showed very little gratitude. I'd have shit on him too, and I'd have gone harder.

And I like Mac. You all are being whinier bitches than the Candyman.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Kap & Haugh must be salivating today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Well they should get plenty of Tommy John interviews.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:39 pm 

Godfella wrote:
Kap & Haugh must be salivating today.

They do that all the time. It's called "drooling."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:39 pm 

cluv8484 wrote:
Maybe a lame thought, but sh*tty they bring in a millionaire ex-nfler with no experience instead of giving the gig to one of the guys who has busted his tail for this station in the producer or update role making pennies for the past 5-10 years....

and not a single minority voice was heard to tryout

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I don't even think it was petty. After all the shit Mitch put up with, I'd argue Mac showed very little gratitude. I'd have shit on him too, and I'd have gone harder.

And I like Mac. You all are being whinier bitches than the Candyman.

but Mitch didn't say it and Bernstein is not management

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I find it pretty fucked up management's outlook is so short term they hired Mannelly to ensure they'll receive their year-end 2014 bonus.

670 is so conservative if this was a case study I'd confuse them for a Japanese firm with all the rigid structure, unhappy employees, passive aggressive sniping and entrenched senior employees.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:50 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
but Mitch didn't say it and Bernstein is not management

Yes, thank you. One of the big complaints here recently has been how Dan incessantly has to ingratiate himself with management -- whether it's his own bosses or, strangely, even just somebody else's bosses. Short of "can you imagine being [Derrick Rose]'s boss?", this is that ass-kissing at its worst.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
670 is so conservative if this was a case study I'd confuse them for a Japanese firm with all the rigid structure, unhappy employees, passive aggressive sniping and entrenched senior employees.

The knife goes in,
the guts come out,
That's what 670thescorepersonnelmanagement is all about!
uuuuguuuwwwwuuuhhhhh...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
I think we can now safely dispense with theories about Dan trolling or creating a persona or doing a bit and conclude once and for all that he's just a really shitty human being.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next