It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Frank Coztansa wrote:
40-41 Saturday morning. Would have been a little better with greens that were quicker or had been cut. Can't complain much for early March golf wearing short sleeves.

The new clubs worked out really well. I had some "miss hits" that were better/straighter than good hits last season. I don't think I hit them quite as far, but I've also strengthened my grip and changed my stance slightly, so I think the distance will come with more rounds and practice. I very much enjoyed the day which is what it should be all about. I was looking forward to the season as it was, but now seeing what the new clubs do in real time has me even more optimistic for a season filled with more fun and better shots than years previous!

I wouldn't worry about the distance. I know it was a nice day but the ball doesn't compress like it does in the summer. It always flies shorter in the spring and fall.

Last edited by Franky T on Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Picked up the yearly pass yesterday and while it was more than I usually spend I think this season has the opportunity to be a very good one with the use of a cart. I have my tee times made for next Saturday and Sunday already, hopefully no frost delay. Temps look to be up near 50 Sunday so I think I will find a place to hit a bucket of balls just to pull a few golf muscles ahead of time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:39 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Picked up the yearly pass yesterday and while it was more than I usually spend I think this season has the opportunity to be a very good one with the use of a cart. I have my tee times made for next Saturday and Sunday already, hopefully no frost delay. Temps look to be up near 50 Sunday so I think I will find a place to hit a bucket of balls just to pull a few golf muscles ahead of time.

Using a cart this year? Don't you usually walk?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I do usually walk. But I really wore down last year and pretty much hung it up by Labor Day after 55 rounds. The guys I play with ride in carts and I am able to keep up with them pretty well but it usually means getting to my ball out of breath a lot of the time and it just became a workout rather than fun. I admit that I am not in the best shape but I am walking a 7000 yard course in 3 hours. I've done between 50-60 rounds a year since 2015 and at 45 years old I think I would rather just find some more enjoyment out of it. My goal is also to try to play 4x a week including a couple of times during the week before work and I would be way too hot and sweaty walking 18 before getting into the office. I am hoping this way I can play and then maybe use some Dude Wipes or something to freshen up and go into the office with a fresh shirt and some khaki pants on rather than going home to shower. It will end up being worth it if I can get the per round price under $20 a round which I think is definitely within reach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:51 am 

Well it is going to be wet, cold and sloppy tomorrow morning but I am still planning on showing up for my 8am tee time to kick the season off. I have the 8am on Sunday as well and looks a bit nicer. Really looking forward to getting started. I had to go to one of our DC's and build sets all day Wednesday and my back has been in quite a bit of pain since so I hope that works itself out a bit today.

Edit- my buddy called to cancel on me, looking like Sunday will be the start.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Played my first round of the season this past Wednesday and shot 78. Was in Marion IL for work and I played Kokopelli which was in ok shape, greens were rolling nice.

Had shoulder surgery mid-January so my swingspeed is down and I also have a wrist issue from a fall two weeks ago that only allowed me to hit cuts. Taped the wrist up and lathered some Aleve X on the shoulder and was pretty happy with how I hit the ball. Moved up to the white tees and will probably play up for the next month until I get some speed back.

Ended last season as a 1 HC, hoping for scratch this season as the shoulder issues should allow me to hit more balls throughout the week. Next round will be Sunday at my home course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:40 am 

Played on Thursday. I had 6 shots where I rolled the ball. Including one on a par 3 with a 7 iron. :shock:

Other than those six swings though I hit the ball pretty good. Couldn't make any putts. It was cart path only and on one hole I was on the right side of the fairway with the cart all the way on the other side. After proceeding to roll my second shot I didn't want to walk all the way over to get a different club. I hit a 5 iron from 90 yard to 10 feet. That was fun lol.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:57 am 

QuadCityDope wrote:
Played my first round of the season this past Wednesday and shot 78. Was in Marion IL for work and I played Kokopelli which was in ok shape, greens were rolling nice.

Had shoulder surgery mid-January so my swingspeed is down and I also have a wrist issue from a fall two weeks ago that only allowed me to hit cuts. Taped the wrist up and lathered some Aleve X on the shoulder and was pretty happy with how I hit the ball. Moved up to the white tees and will probably play up for the next month until I get some speed back.

Ended last season as a 1 HC, hoping for scratch this season as the shoulder issues should allow me to hit more balls throughout the week. Next round will be Sunday at my home course.

Nice start! Hope you heal up fast. About 5 years ago I cracked by thumb in a fall and had to finish the year with a bit of an amended grip. Good luck with your goal. I’m hoping to reach a similar milestone but don’t think I practice enough to make it a reality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:14 am 

Kind of a rough first round. Pretty soggy and I hit half a dozen shots very fat. I scratched out an 84 but only because I was able finish the last 4 holes at even. The frost delay pushed our tee times back 75 minutes. By the time we made the turn the clubhouse had let a number of groups off the back nine which slowed us down quite a bit as there were just two of us. Next weekend looking chilly in the morning so I am probably going to cancel those and hit the driving range which I think I would get a lot more out of. I am ok with fine tuning things and practicing until the weather breaks a bit more for an earlier tee time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Indeed this weekend does look shitty. The last few Saturdays have not been golf weather really at all. I'm not asking for 75 right now, but the average high temp is 53 and we won't come close to that this weekend. Average temps with no rain and little wind is all I need right now, and we haven't gotten much of that.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:00 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Indeed this weekend does look shitty. The last few Saturdays have not been golf weather really at all. I'm not asking for 75 right now, but the average high temp is 53 and we won't come close to that this weekend. Average temps with no rain and little wind is all I need right now, and we haven't gotten much of that.

The cold sucks but doesn't bother me nearly as much as frost delays do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

I'll throw a thermal shirt on and go. I don't really care about playing when its in the 40s.

When its drizzly and damp and windy and in the 40s? No thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

you ever play golf with Tbone? He doesn't walk, he actually jogs and pushes his push cart at the same time. At least he did that several years ago when we played. Hurt my back just watching him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I'm going to wait for much better conditions before I make my attempt at a comeback after missing all of last year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:23 pm 

shakes wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

you ever play golf with Tbone? He doesn't walk, he actually jogs and pushes his push cart at the same time. At least he did that several years ago when we played. Hurt my back just watching him.

:lol: Hence my retirement from walking full time. I did push the cart last weekend over the wet ground and hills since it was cart path only, and I paid for it the next day. Good luck with your comeback this year shakes. I know how much you enjoy getting out there when physically able.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Seems like another shitfuck weekend on tap weather wise. I know there are plenty of good weather days ahead, but it really sucks to have one 'nice' day a week fall on a Tuesday or Wednesday while the weekends are still frozen and snowy :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:41 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Seems like another shitfuck weekend on tap weather wise. I know there are plenty of good weather days ahead, but it really sucks to have one 'nice' day a week fall on a Tuesday or Wednesday while the weekends are still frozen and snowy :evil:

Tell me about it. It's been great that we have no snow all month but I'm just not willing to play when it's in the 30s. Maybe April will be a bit better. I was tempted to hit balls at the range on Saturday but I just couldn't convince myself to do it. I am tempted today, but I have to actually get some yard work done because it is going to rain starting tomorrow night and I'm going to a concert tomorrow after work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Fricking snowing here and cold all this past weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:54 am 
100000 CLUB

Burning a day on Friday and giving it a go at Coyote Run. Might be a little soggy but mid-upper 40s and sunshine is doable for this time of year. The weekend really looks shit weather again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

Went out Friday and it was a mixed bag. Shot 94 (48-46) at Coyote Run. It was chilly, but not awful and that course must drain really well because overall it was dry. Low spots were mushy and muddy, but the greens rolled true and there was not a single bunker that had standing water. With 2" of rain from Weds into Thurs last week I expected a giant puddle and that simply was not the case. I was pleasantly surprised.

Short game was really pretty decent. New clubs are a work in progress. I'm definitely not hitting them as high or as far, but temps (at best) were in the mid 40s and I only really felt like I hit really good shots only a few times. Was in a lot of trouble off the tee, but stuck a few wedges really close from 80-100 yards to minimize the damage.

All in all it was nice to be out, but this extended winter-ish weather is really getting to be a drag.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:25 pm 

My every other Sunday league starts on the 10th and my new every Monday the 11th. This should be the commitment I need to golf more than I have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:51 am 
100000 CLUB

Another weekend here with 40 degree temps. Absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:32 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Another weekend here with 40 degree temps. Absolutely awful.

Yeah it's been bad. I went out Saturday and there was a frost delay until after 9am. I played 9 holes and bagged it. I have tee times for Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week and the weekend
again looks like it could be frosty. I am hitting a local driving range that is under new ownership this afternoon so hoping that irons out a few issues and start hitting the ball closer to the middle of the club again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:36 am 

A frustrating spring became a bit more so after I went to the range last night and realized my 5 iron was bent. I honestly don't remember this happening. I did hit a poor shot or two with it last weekend and did hit it on the ground but it wasn't over the top. I suppose with the half frozen ground that may have been enough to do it. I'm trying to reach out to a local guy to see if he can help. I do have a Dick's in town but I am not sure they do shafts, thought they were more of a regripping factory. I'll have to call. If I have to take to to the PGA Superstore I will, it's just not very convenient for me to drop off and pick up. I also won't be able to put the same shaft in it as they are all on backorder but in the end that shouldn't be a huge deal. The range under new ownership near me should be a nice place to escape to this season. My short irons weren't too bad but the further I went into the bag, the worse results. Hopefully playing 3 days in a row coming up will be helpful in dialing in that muscle memory and also working on my temper apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:46 am 

We got washed out Monday. Getting 18 in on this Friday for a nice relaxing day then back to the league Monday weather permitting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:47 am 

Found the shaft I needed on Amazon of all places and also a local guy that will install it and put a new grip on for $20. Glad I could keep the set matching in the end. I really should learn how to do this work on my own. I have taught myself how to do the grips in the basement which is pretty easy overall, but installing shafts and other tinkering like bending wedges is way beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
T-Bone wrote:
Found the shaft I needed on Amazon of all places and also a local guy that will install it and put a new grip on for $20. Glad I could keep the set matching in the end. I really should learn how to do this work on my own. I have taught myself how to do the grips in the basement which is pretty easy overall, but installing shafts and other tinkering like bending wedges is way beyond me.

That's good news. With the supply chain issues, you never know these days. Which shafts are you using in your irons?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:08 am 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

That's good news. With the supply chain issues, you never know these days. Which shafts are you using in your irons?

I was fit into the KBS C-Taper Stiff 120s five years ago. I really like them and for me it has helped keep the ball down a bit. They were all sold out and on backorder on the KBS site.
Have you been out much this spring Augie?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I was fit into the KBS C-Taper Stiff 120s five years ago. I really like them and for me it has helped keep the ball down a bit. They were all sold out and on backorder on the KBS site.

It's good to stay with what works. Have you ever ordered from Golfworks?

I've hit balls a couple times, but only got out once...this past Monday at Nettle Creek. It's the first week they've allowed carts out. I've got arthritis in my feet, so I need to ride. The course was in good shape, a few mudballs, but not too bad. Never waited which was nice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:53 am 

Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

It's good to stay with what works. Have you ever ordered from Golfworks?

I've hit balls a couple times, but only got out once...this past Monday at Nettle Creek. It's the first week they've allowed carts out. I've got arthritis in my feet, so I need to ride. The course was in good shape, a few mudballs, but not too bad. Never waited which was nice.

I believe I ordered a regripping set from GolfWorks that came with a cutting tool, some grip solution and a dozen double sided tapes. I just looked them up and they still have a big selection of equipment. I'll keep them in mind if I need things like grips. Hoping this is the last shaft I have to order for a while. It also appears they are owned by Dicks Sporting Goods now. I do need to replenish some of my grip supplies so I will likely go that route again with them.

Always nice when you don't have to wait. That is what I'm looking forward to most once the frost disappears. My game is rustier than usual but I know if I keep working at it things will start falling into place again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next