It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
The best from around the world converged on Moline IL. Hill United Chiefs from Canada walked away the winners behind Adam Folkard's dominating pitching. They defeated the Jarvis Twins, also from Canada. The New York Gremlins and Pennsylvania Power finished in 3rd and fourth respectively.

Last edited by City of Fools on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I honestly thought the Jarvis bros were locks! Oh well... I look forward to your recap next year. Perhaps you should remove the year from the title so you can reuse the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Remember the days of local bad TV sports ! You could see some 16 inch softball on TV.

Something relaxing about a broadcast that doesnt have sound effects, gimmicks, lights, sponsors for everything.

Not that i want to watch it nightly, but nice change of pace!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
Remember the days of local bad TV sports ! You could see some 16 inch softball on TV.

Something relaxing about a broadcast that doesnt have sound effects, gimmicks, lights, sponsors for everything.

Not that i want to watch it nightly, but nice change of pace!

What team did Joe Pepitone play for 12' for on the South Side?

And is he the same guy selling homes currently in Downers Grove?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Kramer: Well, you know, we were playing a game and, you know, I was pitching, and I was really throwing some smoke. And Joe Pepitone, he was up, and man that guy, you know, he was crowding the plate!

Jerry: Wow! Joe Pepitone!

Kramer: Yeah, well, Joe Pepitone or not, I own the inside of that plate, Jerry! So I throw one, you know, inside, you know, a little chin music, put him right on his pants. Cause I gotta intimidate when I'm on the mound. Well the next pitch, he's right back in the same place. So, I had to plunk him.

Jerry: You plunked him?

Kramer: Oh yeah. Well, he throws down his bat, he comes racing up to the mound. Next thing, both benches are cleared, you know? A brouhaha breaks out between the guys in the camp, you know, and the old Yankee players, and as I'm trying to get Moose Skowron off of one of my teammates, you know, somebody pulls me from behind, you know, and I turned around and I popped him. I looked down, and woah man, it's Mickey. I punched his lights out.

Jerry: Wow, this is incredible!

Elaine: Yeah, so?

Kramer: Then Hank Bauer, you know, he's screaming, "Mickey! Mickey! What have you done with Mickey? You killed Mickey!"

Elaine: So what'd you do?

Kramer: Well, I got the hell out of there.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I work with a guy who plays for Ohio Battery, they won the ISC Masters (50+) World championship. Their game was right before this Open championship game, and since the tourney was running late the whole crowd was there for the Open game already- made for quite an experience. After the win, he stuck around to watch the Open game, and celebrate, as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 pm 

K Effective wrote:
I work with a guy who plays for Ohio Battery, they won the ISC Masters (50+) World championship. Their game was right before this Open championship game, and since the tourney was running late the whole crowd was there for the Open game already- made for quite an experience. After the win, he stuck around to watch the Open game, and celebrate, as well.

really! That team had a lot of Bloomington Hearts players on it. Bobby Ginger, Pete Meredith, Brian Martie and Brett Stevenson at least...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:45 am 

Yes, I don't know any of those guys personally, just by reputation. Seems like the top players all find their way onto a few select teams. The guy I work with can still rake, even at 60. He plays for a couple local fast pitch teams and manages a team of young guys to keep the sport active locally. He played for Plangger's Furniture for years when they were a top regional team, and fits in tourney runs with some of the top national-level teams as time and life permit, plus the work co-ed slow pitch team...makes me feel like a loser for quitting much younger (that's not the only reason I'm a loser, but)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 am 

Men play fastpitch softball?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm 

K Effective wrote:
Yes, I don't know any of those guys personally, just by reputation. Seems like the top players all find their way onto a few select teams. The guy I work with can still rake, even at 60. He plays for a couple local fast pitch teams and manages a team of young guys to keep the sport active locally. He played for Plangger's Furniture for years when they were a top regional team, and fits in tourney runs with some of the top national-level teams as time and life permit, plus the work co-ed slow pitch team...makes me feel like a loser for quitting much younger (that's not the only reason I'm a loser, but)

yeah, I managed against a team from Benton Harbor! Mike Short was the captain of that team. Good team.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Men who desire a chance to prove they can play actual ball play fastpitch. Any fool can hit slowpitch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
City of Fools wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Men who desire a chance to prove they can play actual ball play fastpitch. Any fool can hit slowpitch.

Nah, men who desire a chance to prove they can play actual ball just play baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Nah, men who desire a chance to prove they can play actual ball just play baseball.

good luck finding a baseball league. They're even more rare than fastpitch softball.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:07 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

good luck finding a baseball league. They're even more rare than fastpitch softball.

Huh? I've played in at least 2 different 21+ leagues and one 28+ league. When a few of the other guys get older there's 35+ plus leagues. I've seen a ton of baseball leagues and literally zero fast pitch leagues in my area. I've been playing slow pitch for 20+ years and no one I've played with has ever played fastpitch, but a lot of us still play baseball.

http://www.chicagocentralmsbl.com/chicagocentralmsbl/
http://www.midwestsuburbanleague.com/league_info.php
http://www.msblnational.com/Find-a-Leag ... 000001&z=2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 pm 

I stand corrected!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:45 am 

Hoping fast pitch softball is a heck of a lot cheaper than baseball though, shit's expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:58 pm 

Back in my playing days, I played in two slow pitch, one fast pitch and one modified-fast-pitch (no windmill) league all in the same season. Never was close to playing for any of the traveling teams, but a couple of the pitchers in the league threw for some of the travel teams. IIRC there were 10 or 12 teams in the windmill league at one time. I never heard of any adult baseball teams over here, not that they weren't there, I just never heard of them.

I loved the fast pitch, base stealing, bunting- played the hot corner at about 45 feet from the batter! I know it couldn't really be a sport, though, because I smoked on the bench and we often celebrated with beer afterwards. :drunken:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:09 pm 

season costs around 400/team.

Fastpitch softball will eventually become a global sport and leave the states behind completely. It's way popular in Canada, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:42 pm 

Adam Folkerd yet again dominated the 2014 ISC tournament. Hill United defeated the Hallman Twins. Frankly I thought Pennsylvania Power would get there behind the fastest pitcher I have ever personally witnessed, Ramon Jones but it was not to be. The ISC comes to South Bend IN next year and it will be the only time I have ever willingly been in South Bend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:52 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I saw an adult men's baseball league playing along the lakefront this summer. It looked like fun and something I could get into. I mentioned it to my wife and she laughed at me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:56 pm 

There are adult mens baseball leagues all over the place up here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:06 pm 

There's plenty of men's baseball leagues in the suburbs. 18+, 28+, 35+, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

That is exactly what is all around here, I was amazed at how many there were.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

go on :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:41 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

45+, 54+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:48 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

45+, 54+

How dare you. I'm not that old.