It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 pm 
I was browsing WSI, a nice little White Sox site. Fenway posts there and gives good nuggets, anyways, he is in Florida and wrote this after listening to a TB radio station:

Quote:
They're interviewing Chicago's Tom Shaer who says Hendry is under orders not to let Tejada go to the South Side and to do whatever it takes. Says Tribune is desperate for Cubs to win now to stop White Sox gaining market share in Chicago.

Interesting stuff, but my main question, is Tom Shaer even employed in Chicago anymore? I didn't like his little minute fact things in the morning, but didn't think he was that bad, was surprised by the hate here, as OG is clearly worse (OG, if you are reading, hit the little x in the upper right corner now, I don't want your stupid infested replies in this thread). Haven't heard him on the radio in a while, just wondering if he still has work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

He does media consultant work. For whom, I am not aware. I doubt he is on the air right now, since if he was, somebody would have posted it here by now.

Post subject: Hawaiian!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:37 am 
1000 CLUB

I did a google on Shaer, and was shocked to see what he's doing now:

http://www.awaretalkradio.org/shows/

Some of "Hawaiian's" topics include:

Interview by Tom Shaer with Monica Sweeney, whose book, “Condom Sense” talks about correct use of condoms to thwart STDs.

Interview by Tom Shaer with Anne Sheffield, author of Depression Fallout, about depression during the holidays and what symptoms we should look for in a loved one’s behavior if we suspect they may be suffering from depression.

Interview by Tom Shaer with author Daphne Rose Kingma about how to love yourself. (hey hey!)

Affiliate radio stations: http://www.awaretalkradio.org/affiliates.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

I will be the first person to admit, that a Tom Shaer SportsCenter update, at times, could be very frusterating to listen to. His time management was not good, as he was either rushing in the sponsors before the time ran out, or he would simply get cut off by the start of the network update.

After giving it some time, I believe that Shaer was better at the updates than either Jonathan Hood and Bryan Dolgin. While Shaer didn't have the smooth delivery or polish that Dave Juday or even Chris Boden have, Shaer had the ability, in my opinion, to at least make his updates interesting. Injecting an opinion or some commentary into an update, by no means, is the right thing to do, since "news" is suppose to be non-objective. Yet for me, individually, they made the updates interesting, which is what I don't think Hood or Dolgin do.

Despite my liking of his updates, I can understand why the station fired him. One morning the update started, and Shaer was in the middle of a bowl of cereal, had food in his mouth, and couldn't talk. What I don't understand is though, why they didn't replace him with someone who can do a better job. I don't think Hood or Dolgin are any better than Shaer. Hood seems like he doesn't want to be doing updates. Dolgin doesn't know how to open or close the updates, and often stutters because he doesn't know how to end it.

I think Hood works best as a solo host (though he hasn't impressed me at all, with the little I heard, while filling in on MJH this week). I enjoy listening to Bryan with Bruce on Saturday morning's baseball show.

That's just my opinion, I know I'm probably going to get killed since so many people here dislike Shaer, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 am 
1000 CLUB

Anonymous wrote:
I was browsing WSI, a nice little White Sox site. Fenway posts there and gives good nuggets, anyways, he is in Florida and wrote this after listening to a TB radio station:

Quote:
They're interviewing Chicago's Tom Shaer who says Hendry is under orders not to let Tejada go to the South Side and to do whatever it takes. Says Tribune is desperate for Cubs to win now to stop White Sox gaining market share in Chicago.

Interesting stuff, but my main question, is Tom Shaer even employed in Chicago anymore? I didn't like his little minute fact things in the morning, but didn't think he was that bad, was surprised by the hate here, as OG is clearly worse (OG, if you are reading, hit the little x in the upper right corner now, I don't want your stupid infested replies in this thread). Haven't heard him on the radio in a while, just wondering if he still has work

Interesting, but totally speculative. I don't think Shaer is a Cubs insider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:34 am 
OG is best update guy at the station, and will have a big role in 2006. So long Carmen and Silvy