It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 1539  Next
 Post subject: Re: Julie DiCaro!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't know. But like I said earlier, we're gonna need more police.

Your point is not lost on me; there has.to be some level of discretion. For example, if you made a funny dig at me on here and I responded with an LOL emoticon and said "I'm gonna find where you live and kick your ass", I'm obviously saying it in a joking way even though a non-board member could interpret it literally. So I agree that there is some level of common sense and context that has to be used.

But in her situation here, it's someone she doesn't know who is making a very specific threat without any indication that it is harmless banter. He may be full of shit, but he might not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Is there anyone here who doesn't agree that the guy- and plenty of other guys who interact with Julie on Twitter- is a disgusting scumbag? There is no justification for the shit he was tweeting at her. But pretending that it is likely he is going to come to Chicago and rape her in order to illustrate how disgusted we are is kind of silly.
We should only take threats seriously when there is a 100% chance that the violent act is going to happen.

No, Rick. We should use common sense. There are all kinds of threats made everyday in all types of social media. Is there some epidemic of people acted upon those threats. You're acting like a guy tweeting, "I'm coming to kill you" is equivalent to getting a carefully prepared death threat in your mailbox with letters cut and pasted from various magazines. It's not. People say stupid shit on the Internet because they're anonymous and it's easy. I'm gonna find out where you live and come to your house tonight if you don't stop disagreeing with me. See how easy that is? It's not a real threat.
Why can't you threaten someone on the internet? That seems to be your argument here.

What he said would be a threat in pretty much any other medium. Somehow, because it is the internet, it is not?

I think you can threaten someone on the Internet, but the question is, how much credence do we want to give such "threats"? I see the entire thing as an impetus for more regulation of the Internet, a time when each person will have to be registered and have an ID to express a thought on any digital platform. Maybe you think that's great. I'm sure some people do. DiCaro herself has suggested some type of hierarchical system where she belongs to a higher Twitter class due to her "Verified" status. The question I would then ask is, do the benefits of such a system outweigh the costs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:56 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
But in her situation here, it's someone she doesn't know who is making a very specific threat without any indication that it is harmless banter. He may be full of shit, but he might not.

Well, I guess I'm also taking into consideration the fact that from the few tweets he made that I saw posted here, he seemed like a guy who might have trouble finding his cock with both hands, let alone tracking someone down in another state.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think you can threaten someone on the Internet, but the question is, how much credence do we want to give such "threats"? I see the entire thing as an impetus for more regulation of the Internet, a time when each person will have to be registered and have an ID to express a thought on any digital platform. Maybe you think that's great. I'm sure some people do. DiCaro herself has suggested some type of hierarchical system where she belongs to a higher Twitter class due to her "Verified" status. The question I would then ask is, do the benefits of such a system outweigh the costs?
I think it is really simple.

If something is a threat when said in person, or over the phone, then it is a threat when said on the internet. That seems simple and concise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If something is a threat when said in person, or over the phone, then it is a threat when said on the internet. That seems simple and concise.

you must have a ownership stake in the security firm bernstein hires to protect him when he gets e-threats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I don't think Jules was in yesterday. Is she in today, or is she in the Panic Room at her house?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's simple, although not true. If I'm standing a foot away with a sword in my hand when I threaten to chop your fucking head off it's a much more credible threat than if I post that I'm going to ass rape a guy named Gloopan Kuratz in the comments section of Deadspin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm going to kill leash one day

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Man, the more you quibble over what constitutes harassment on the internet the more it sounds like you're defending or excusing this dude's actions.

But you know I'm not, right, I'm merely skeptical of the ever-widening definition of things like "harassment", "abuse", "assault", etc. The fact that any skepticism with some backbone to it is thought of as a defense of the morally corrupt (Tim Baffoe calling people rape apologists for questioning the "1 in 5" statistic) is a pretty big problem in modern discourse, brought on in large part by those who have made it their job to be outraged at things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:48 am 

Quote:
Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 12m12 minutes ago
Julie DiCaro Retweeted Jessica Valenti
Co-sign on being completely exhausted.Julie DiCaro added,
Jessica Valenti @JessicaValenti
I wrote about being the most harassed writer at the @guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... harassment

She's loving absolutely every single second of this. All she has to do is RT some man and people come running to console her. For being such an ardent feminist, she seems to enjoy the role of damsel in distress.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Quote:
Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 12m12 minutes ago
Julie DiCaro Retweeted Jessica Valenti
Co-sign on being completely exhausted.Julie DiCaro added,
I wrote about being the most harassed writer at the @guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... harassment

She's loving absolutely every single second of this. All she has to do is RT some man and people come running to console her. For being such an ardent feminist, she seems to enjoy the role of damsel in distress.

You'd think being the ardent feminist that she is she'd be outraged at people thinking she needed consoling and treating her like a fragile woman who can't take the heat like a man. Interesting.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's

What time is the pity party for Jessica Valenti? Are we supposed to bring gifts?

I'll bet guys like Skip Bayless have received a collection of nasty letters, voicemails, faxes, emails, and tweets over the years that would give Julie and Jessica the vapors.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Hockey Gay wrote:

The proper authorities have been alerted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's simple, although not true. If I'm standing a foot away with a sword in my hand when I threaten to chop your fucking head off it's a much more credible threat than if I post that I'm going to ass rape a guy named Gloopan Kuratz in the comments section of Deadspin.

Authorities alerted and a screen shot sent to @zerosafety

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hockey Gay wrote:

Is that a threat or a promise? Because we're all really rooting for 'promise' ... maybe do it at Lakemoor '16 what with the ready-made pyre.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
SpiralStairs wrote:
Man, the more you quibble over what constitutes harassment on the internet the more it sounds like you're defending or excusing this dude's actions.

But you know I'm not, right, I'm merely skeptical of the ever-widening definition of things like "harassment", "abuse", "assault", etc. The fact that any skepticism with some backbone to it is thought of as a defense of the morally corrupt (Tim Baffoe calling people rape apologists for questioning the "1 in 5" statistic) is a pretty big problem in modern discourse, brought on in large part by those who have made it their job to be outraged at things.

At this point I'm not sure what you are arguing about.

Julie tweeted stupid thoughts, Julie tweets lots and lots of stupid thoughts. Those stupid thoughts are then met with a real person telling her that they are going to rape her.

She didn't tweet her thoughts to the guy directly, he sought them out (or "just happened to see this in my feed by complete accident, I seriously wasn't actually looking for it you guys") and then responded to her. If that's not harassment then what is?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:05 pm 

I guess it's appropo of nothing but it's a more than a little telling that she hasn't taken the 1 step she can take to permanently end her harassment on Twitter. Lock your account .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:09 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I guess it's appropo of nothing but it's a more than a little telling that she hasn't taken the 1 step she can take to permanently end her harassment on Twitter. Lock your account .
...and then board up her windows, lock her doors, and never leave her house again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
Julie DiCaroVerified account
‏@JulieDiCaro
When you post a piece on women not feeling welcome in baseball and a bunch of dudes show up to call you names in the comments.

An online comments section is now "in baseball." And it can be assumed, not feeling welcome means not being lauded upon for their bravery.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Authorities alerted and a screen shot sent to @zerosafety

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
...and then board up her windows, lock her doors, and never leave her house again!

If she's so distraught about the terrible unending "harassment" ™ she feels she encounters everyday, yep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:37 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

What time is the pity party for Jessica Valenti? Are we supposed to bring gifts?

I'll bet guys like Skip Bayless have received a collection of nasty letters, voicemails, faxes, emails, and tweets over the years that would give Julie and Jessica the vapors.

An example of Ms Valentis work.

Jessica Valenti@Jessica Valenti
The guy next to me on the subway was checking Twitter. He followed almost all the same people I did but NO WOMEN. Passive sexism is for real

Creeping on randos checking who they follow?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

The guy next to me on the subway was checking Twitter. He followed almost all the same people I did but NO WOMEN. Passive sexism is for real

Maybe there is in fact a Twitter quota and all men must have a certain percentage of womyn they follow?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:54 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

If she's so distraught about the terrible unending "harassment" ™ she feels she encounters everyday, yep.

This thread is well on its way to eating its own tail. Something Julie wishes she could do if she could just reach that far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:10 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

What are the gender identities, ethnicity, and disability status of all of the people she follows? I'm sure she there is an unrepresented group in there that she is passively discriminating against!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm 

People with functioning brains.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:16 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
People with functioning brains.

:lol: :lol:

They top the list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:50 pm 

Quote:
Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 8m8 minutes ago
Plenty of women guilty of this, too.

Oh Jesus Christ. She makes it like you can't talk about Kobe's basketball career or bask in its greatness without reminding everyone every five seconds that he was accused of rape and settled with the accuser. It's rather insulting, honestly, as if men and sports fans in general lake the gray matter to compartmentalize thoughts and stances.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Quote:
Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 8m8 minutes ago
Plenty of women guilty of this, too.

Oh Jesus Christ. She makes it like you can't talk about Kobe's basketball career or bask in its greatness without reminding everyone every five seconds that he was accused of rape and settled with the accuser. It's rather insulting, honestly, as if men and sports fans in general lake the gray matter to compartmentalize thoughts and stances.

Well the template is set for when Kane hangs them up. If she is still relevant at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 1539  Next