It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:46 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Warren Newson wrote:
McCareins_Fan wrote:
Tackling Les Misérables, definitely one of the longest novels ever written. I barely made it through War and Peace. Thoughts and prayers for me.

This guy has hipped me to lesser known works but is such a jagoff.

https://twitter.com/_LarryJ_/status/1567506646091370497

I'm happy I read War and Peace, but I never want to do something like that again. I see why it's held out as a classic novel, but the opportunity cost of reading it is huge. Infinite Jest used to be on my list, but I've taken it off based on the War and Peace experience.

Those were on my list but after my recent experience with Jack London I am enjoying a light read from Star Wars. I’ve read a few from Dostoyevsky and while enjoyable you really have to be diligent with those Russian writers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:53 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I thought Anna Karenina was great and had a story that absolutely pulled you through the book. On the other hand, I tried to make it through Crime and Punishment in high school, but couldn't do it. T-Bone, what happened with Jack London?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:31 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
I thought Anna Karenina was great and had a story that absolutely pulled you through the book. On the other hand, I tried to make it through Crime and Punishment in high school, but couldn't do it. T-Bone, what happened with Jack London?

I loved Crime and Punishment but it’s tedious. We have a bunch of neighborhood little libraries near where I live and people put books in and others take them. It’s fun to see what is in there. Anyway I was looking for something to read and there was a London book called The Sea Wolf. I read the jacket cover, it wasn’t particularly long, so I figured sure. I loved Call of the Wild and White Fang. It wasn’t the worst thing I’ve read but for a275 page book it took forever to finish. Turn of the century seal hunting on a large schooner in the Pacific Ocean. The characters were well written especially the captain, but overall I just couldn’t get totally into it. I got halfway through and decided I was finishing this thing no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
T-Bone wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I loved Crime and Punishment but it’s tedious. We have a bunch of neighborhood little libraries near where I live and people put books in and others take them. It’s fun to see what is in there. Anyway I was looking for something to read and there was a London book called The Sea Wolf. I read the jacket cover, it wasn’t particularly long, so I figured sure. I loved Call of the Wild and White Fang. It wasn’t the worst thing I’ve read but for a275 page book it took forever to finish. Turn of the century seal hunting on a large schooner in the Pacific Ocean. The characters were well written especially the captain, but overall I just couldn’t get totally into it. I got halfway through and decided I was finishing this thing no matter what.

Dostoevsky is best read in the presence of an expert. I had a class on him and Dostoevsky was pretty much my favorite writer for ten years. But without the guidance and background--or knowing what ideas served as background to Dostoevsky--he would have been tedious indeed.

I mean, you can say that about a lot of writers, but when you go back to the C19, and read from translation from a profoundly different culture, that guidance is essential.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:12 pm 

I took two books with me on vacation to Mexico two years ago. The hardest books I own, but wanted to tackle them. I’d leave them on the beach chairs by the pool because I know no one in their right mind would ever steal them. One was The Inferno by Dante and the other was the full collected works of Edgar Allen Poe. There was a lady who sat by us one day and noticed the books. She asked if I was actually reading them. I told her I was sure trying my best. Turns out she was a professor at the University of Virginia where Poe went to school a while. She said she wouldn’t have attempted reading either of them :lol: Poe wasn’t horrible because his stories are relatively short. The Inferno is a book that you really need to take a class to digest. I couldn’t read more than a paragraph or two without having to reference the footnotes to know what was being talked about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Poe's not only easy but enjoyable. Strange that anyone would balk at reading Poe.

Always thought Mulholland Drive made more sense if viewed as Lynch's rough take on Dante relocated to Hollywood.

Dostoevsky was a degenerate gambler who wrote such long books to finance his gambling--when not otherwise occupied sucking the toes of his various wives to get them to part with rubles to cover his gambling losses.

(inspiration by Markson)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I've been frustrated quite a while now over the quality of writing coming out. I used to never give up on a book. Now I just kindle through the library and go through a half dozen before I can finally settle on something. I think it's been 6 or 7 years years since I ended a book thinking, "that was awesome".

I've been putting off Dostoevsky all my life but I guess it's time to pick up The Brothers Karamazov

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Nardi wrote:
I've been frustrated quite a while now over the quality of writing coming out. I used to never give up on a book. Now I just kindle through the library and go through a half dozen before I can finally settle on something. I think it's been 6 or 7 years years since I ended a book thinking, "that was awesome".

I've been putting off Dostoevsky all my life but I guess it's time to pick up The Brothers Karamazov

HS aged SS was a bigfan of that novel. Wonder how it holds up to a re-read.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:47 am 

Hussra wrote:
Poe's not only easy but enjoyable. Strange that anyone would balk at reading Poe.

Always thought Mulholland Drive made more sense if viewed as Lynch's rough take on Dante relocated to Hollywood.

Dostoevsky was a degenerate gambler who wrote such long books to finance his gambling--when not otherwise occupied sucking the toes of his various wives to get them to part with rubles to cover his gambling losses.

(inspiration by Markson)

Poe(and weed) got me reading. I followed up Tell Tale Heart with "The Stand". Quite the indoctrination to the art of "movie in my head".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:48 pm 

@Nardi: Same thing here. I was getting a lot of horror and history non-fiction recommendations off Reddit, and they all sucked. Maybe 7 out of the last 9 books I put down.

@T-Bone: Try John Ciardi's translation. Really clearly written and has footnotes and a little synopsis at the beginning of each canto. You'd be surprised how much of Dante's depiction of hell had in common with what nuns in the late 70s and early 80s taught us. Apart from the dizzying number of allusions, little in his imagination was new to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
My go to for fiction has always been mysteries or detective fiction. But, it seems like many of the writers that I have liked feel they have to weave woke narratives into their work these days. Or they create some fictional version of Trump or maga as their villains. I've started reading a lot of British mysteries from the 1930s as a result. The British Library Crime Classics series has 112 books in it and will keep me busy for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Augie wrote:
My go to for fiction has always been mysteries or detective fiction. But, it seems like many of the writers that I have liked feel they have to weave woke narratives into their work these days. Or they create some fictional version of Trump or maga as their villains. I've started reading a lot of British mysteries from the 1930s as a result. The British Library Crime Classics series has 112 books in it and will keep me busy for a while.

Have you tried the early American hardboiled detective writers?

Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest is one of my all-time favorites. I'm a big fan of The Big Sleep and most of Chandler's other work as well. I read The Big Sleep as a transitional work in which he rejects the conventions of the classic British detective novel and the narrative goal of mystery-solving in favor of a modern conception of "policing" where the only goal is to keep the "criminal element" under surveillance (which often results in compelling storytelling but deliberately incoherent plots). In any event, I also very much like the work of the second-generation hardboiled writer Jim Thompson. A lot of his books are great, but many consider The Killer Inside Me to be his masterpiece as its psychopathic anti-hero serves as an implicit critique of the emerging hardboiled tradition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:30 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Augie wrote:

Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest is one of my all-time favorites. I'm a big fan of The Big Sleep and most of Chandler's other work as well. I read The Big Sleep as a transitional work in which he rejects the conventions of the classic British detective novel and the narrative goal of mystery-solving in favor of a modern conception of "policing" where the only goal is to keep the "criminal element" under surveillance (which often results in compelling storytelling but deliberately incoherent plots). In any event, I also very much like the work of the second-generation hardboiled writer Jim Thompson. A lot of his books are great, but many consider The Killer Inside Me to be his masterpiece as its psychopathic anti-hero serves as an implicit critique of the emerging hardboiled tradition.

Great suggestions, thank you. I've read some and agree that Red Harvest is a great book. I haven't read as much of Hammett, Thompson or Chandler as I should.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Augie wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Augie wrote:

Great suggestions, thank you. I've read some and agree that Red Harvest is a great book. I haven't read as much of Hammett, Thompson or Chandler as I should.

Cool, I also really like early hardboiled/noir novels like The Big Clock, They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and Double Indemnity (which I think is even more interesting than the terrific movie adapted from the book).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:58 pm 

I tried Philip Marlowe. Doesn't age well, was my take. It's not Chandler's fault obviously. Years pass, and Marlowe ends up being a stereotypical private dick, you know? I'll give The Killer Inside Me a try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:07 pm 

I've read Raymond Chandler and Mickey Spillane, neither of them do it for me. James Ellroy used to really light my candle but, despite the fact that you can often find his work filed under "Mystery," his books really don't work as mysteries and he's also favored style over substance over his last handful of books.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
I've read The Big Sleep, The Long Goodbye and Farewell, My Lovely. There were all easy to read, but the themes all run together, so his ouevre just melds into one big gloop of noir. Also, I always get him confused with Raymond Carver, whose short stories I enjoy much more.

I'm on page 1075 out of 1462 in Les Misérables. I wish I read this in a class with an expert, like mentioned above. I put this one off due to its length and seeing those annoying commercials for the musical when I was a kid. Never forget Harold Bloom's credo, "Stick to the classics. Screw contemporary fiction.".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:42 pm 

Richard Stark (Donald Westlake) and John D. McDonald were two of my favorite authors. Both have passed and I have read all off their work. Parker and Travis McGee are two of the best characters ever in fiction for my money.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:04 am 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
I tried Philip Marlowe. Doesn't age well, was my take. It's not Chandler's fault obviously. Years pass, and Marlowe ends up being a stereotypical private dick, you know? I'll give The Killer Inside Me a try.

If you don't like Chandler, you probably won't like The Killer Inside Me since it is a response to the hardboiled detective archetype established by Hammett and Chandler.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:10 am 
1000 CLUB

McCareins_Fan wrote:
I've read The Big Sleep, The Long Goodbye and Farewell, My Lovely. There were all easy to read, but the themes all run together, so his ouevre just melds into one big gloop of noir. Also, I always get him confused with Raymond Carver, whose short stories I enjoy much more.

I'm on page 1075 out of 1462 in Les Misérables. I wish I read this in a class with an expert, like mentioned above. I put this one off due to its length and seeing those annoying commercials for the musical when I was a kid. Never forget Harold Bloom's credo, "Stick to the classics. Screw contemporary fiction.".

I agree that all of Chandler's work kind of blends together like it is just one long novel. The Big Sleep introduces his major ideas, and the rest of his writing is more or less a reiteration of that book. Chandler and Hammett are very interesting to me vis a vis labor history and fears of white working class social decline. The noir tradition is established in the context of declining social expectations (brought about by the rise of monopoly capitalism, mass production, and scientific management), and noir itself can, I would argue, be best understood in terms of a newly discovered discomfort with the fluidity of class and racial boundaries.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:43 am 

Been really enjoying the first Thrawn novel. I bought the trilogy for myself as an Xmas gift but had to dig into it and truly has been fun. Anyone that might be interested in these after I am finished I would consider mailing them to you. If you are into Star Wars I think they'd be a good read.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:18 pm 

Did not regret The Grifters. Good, quick read.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Augie wrote:

Look up Blain L Pardoe. He is writing thillers for the right.

Do not know if I ever nammed these but if you want some light Fantasy look up the Guardians of the Flames series.Basic premise is a bunch of D&D players get ported to the world in their characters,physical is the character brain is them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:37 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Basic premise is a bunch of D&D players get ported to the world in their characters

That's the premise? I'd rather read interracial gay Muslim porn, without pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:48 pm 

A grad school friend of mine was in town and brought her extremely unpleasant and insanely feminist friend with her. Yes, she hated men, but mostly, she hated white people. (You know what race she is, of course.) Anyway, she was raging against Willa Cather and her "bitch white feminism," and it reminded me that I always wanted to re-read the Prairie Trilogy again. It's been three decades. Halfway through this one:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:17 pm 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
A grad school friend of mine was in town and brought her extremely unpleasant and insanely feminist friend with her. Yes, she hated men, but mostly, she hated white people. (You know what race she is, of course.) Anyway, she was raging against Willa Cather and her "bitch white feminism," and it reminded me that I always wanted to re-read the Prairie Trilogy again. It's been three decades. Halfway through this one:

Willa Cather has some of the most simple and elegant prose I've ever read. She's evocative without beating everything to death.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:45 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:

Willa Cather has some of the most simple and elegant prose I've ever read. She's evocative without beating everything to death.

That's a good way to put it. It's what I have been enjoying this past weekend. It's funny; I read a few books about the Dust Bowl and life in general on the plains, and I kind of have to laugh because Cather described everything first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Been a long time since I read those. Not sure I ever got to Song of the Lark (My Antonia was a school book and O Pioneers was on my parents' book shelf that I got sent to whenever I uttered the phrase "I'm bored".) My recollection of them is not great so I imagine it would go much like my rereads of other books I was assigned back then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:53 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:

That's a good way to put it. It's what I have been enjoying this past weekend. It's funny; I read a few books about the Dust Bowl and life in general on the plains, and I kind of have to laugh because Cather described everything first.

I've read My Antonia and Death Comes for the Archbishop. Both of them are just okay in terms of story, but I absolutely love the way Cather writes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:11 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Been really enjoying the first Thrawn novel. I bought the trilogy for myself as an Xmas gift but had to dig into it and truly has been fun. Anyone that might be interested in these after I am finished I would consider mailing them to you. If you are into Star Wars I think they'd be a good read.

Finished the first of trilogy and onto the second last night. Thrawn and Vader on a joint mission so that should be interesting. They don't really like each other much. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next