It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am 

Oh and Terry's tidbit about baseball:

All but 2 teams have a payroll over 90 million

Ok.

Thats one of the least interesting things Ive ever heard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
FavreFan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
You must pay closer attentinon, spany. The correct answer is there are not 10 players better than Anthony. Maybe 7 or 8, but not 10...

Yes there are.

LeBron
Durant
Rose
Paul
Howard
Kobe
Kevin Love
Rondo No
Wade
Westbrook No

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But if danny is going to tell us that he didn't have an agenda in pointing that out, he's full of shit. He hates the aggressive parts of hockey. He would like the game to become Disney on Ice. And you know what? If every team had twenty Wayne Gretzkys, I bet it would be a beautiful thing to watch. That just isn't reality.

I don't understand why/how Dan shelves his concern over chronic traumatic encephalopathy because watching steroid freaks crash into each other headfirst sates his bloodlust, but some white guy from the Toronto suburbs runs into some white guy from rural Manitoba and it's utterly disgusting bloodsport for utterly disgusting proles.

I'm a big believer in a finesse-oriented NHL that showcases its best players doing amazing things (and where this league is conversely heading is horrifying), but I realize the symbiotic relationship between finesse and physicality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But if danny is going to tell us that he didn't have an agenda in pointing that out, he's full of shit. He hates the aggressive parts of hockey. He would like the game to become Disney on Ice. And you know what? If every team had twenty Wayne Gretzkys, I bet it would be a beautiful thing to watch. That just isn't reality.

I don't understand why/how Dan shelves his concern over chronic traumatic encephalopathy because watching steroid freaks crash into each other headfirst sates his bloodlust, but some white guy from the Toronto suburbs runs into some white guy from rural Manitoba and it's utterly disgusting bloodsport for utterly disgusting proles.

I'm a big believer in a finesse-oriented NHL that showcases its best players doing amazing things (and where this league is conversely heading is horrifying), but I realize the symbiotic relationship between finesse and physicality.

It was half-assed spouting of stats at its worst. He read the stat and got immediately excited that it appeared to contradict the meatball fan of "old time hockey". He obviously didn't give it too much thought before he blurted it out on the radio. When calls began coming in pointing out just how obvious the stat was and how it didn't really mean anything at all, he was forced to reluctantly back up. They quickly got off the topic. He closed it out with some vague nonsense about how the numbers show it's better to build a puck possession team. As if the choice were between signing another Patrick Kane and extending Dan Carcillo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:24 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
You want to talk about some serious post hoc ergo propter hoc? How about the fact that referees have retardedly stopped calling obstruction fouls because more concussions have been diagnosed since the NZT was defanged in 2005. No, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that medical treatment has improved by leaps and bounds since the days of leaving Eric Lindros to die in a bathtub, it must be because there wasn't speed, and now there is, and now there are concussions, so speed causes concussions! Only the NHL would try to prevent brain injuries by making it okay to hook guys like failed vaudeville acts, or check guys without the puck. It's only better to build a puck possession team insofar as that skillset is rewarded. It no longer is, and now Bernstein-friendly players like Marcus Kruger and Duncan Keith are eating the dust of the knuckle-draggers in St. Louis and Nashville.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
You want to talk about some serious post hoc ergo propter hoc?

In harness racing the late, great writer (and I don't feel I'm doing him justice simply calling him a writer since he was so much more) Stan Bergstein used to call it the blue balloon theory, i.e., if a horse won the Hambletonian with a blue balloon tied to his tail, on Monday night you'd see horses across America going to the starting gate with blue balloons tied to their tails.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Krazy Ivan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
You must pay closer attentinon, spany. The correct answer is there are not 10 players better than Anthony. Maybe 7 or 8, but not 10...

Yes there are.

LeBron
Durant
Rose
Paul
Howard
Kobe
Kevin Love
Rondo No
Wade
Westbrook No

Why do you think Melo is better than Westbrook and Rondo?

To rock my soul