It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3/13 Transition
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I think a big part of what he does is some radio character and that there is a real person underneath that he hides really well. I gave B&G a legit shot. And having two of those characters was a disaster. The show had no direction, and it was sad because B&G are talented, local guys who love sports.

You may have missed this the first time I threw it out when Grote sat in, but I feel like Dan and Jason were both too irritable and high-strung to play off each other well. For all the posing Goff does as someone who's super-chill and never lets anything bother him, it's plain as day that everything bothers him. Neither one could reel the other in when the other gets upset, so there was always this feedback loop of neuroticism that was really offputting. If someone called one of them dumb on Twitter, it was like the end of the world. Terry always knew that at the end of the day, sports were stupid entertainment, and I think Jason and Dan both felt that they were a battlefield for serious issues of race, gender, sexuality, and the professional class. It just didn't work.

Well said.

I don't know how to feel about Goff, even still. He was an awkward choice to replace Terry, and improbably he outsnobbed Bernstein about a great many things. Every conversation that wasn't about hoops was somehow beneath him, and if there were any listeners stupid enough to still be fans of the Bears in particular, why should he waste his energy catering to them when they're all morons in the first place?

Couple that with the political climate bringing out a lot of confrontation, and Dan having no idea how to steer the show whatsoever, it all rang hollow from the outset.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Well said. For Goff to get worked about Twitter folks typing "thoughts and prayers" after a tragedy is evidence of your observation. Literally everything other people do bothers them.

Edit: Well said to CH. Dew beat me to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Bernstein's all discombobulated today. He asked the Phillies reporter if Freddy Galvis is going to hit this year. She politely told him Galvis was on the Padres.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Transition was GREAT today. An actual sports conversation that was fast-paced and interesting. Bernstein and Parkins should be the afternoon show if Speigel is getting launched.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 pm 

DAC wrote:
Transition was GREAT today. An actual sports conversation that was fast-paced and interesting. Bernstein and Parkins should be the afternoon show if Speigel is getting launched.

Weird to audibly hear the shaken sobriety of professional shell shock result in a pleasant, non-shouty sports discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Bernstein's all discombobulated today. He asked the Phillies reporter if Freddy Galvis is going to hit this year. She politely told him Galvis was on the Padres.

He can't focus without his soul moving

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Bernstein does sound shell shocked here and he has reportedly known since Friday. I guess it became real today for him.

https://670thescore.radio.com/media/aud ... on-3-13-18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
45 minutes into the Facebook broadcast of the show, when Bernstein was leading off his monologue obliquely addressing the changes, he goes: "You know me, you've known me for a long time...you're a Score Guy..or Score Person, I should say, to be gender neutral..." :lol:

EDIT: a minute later and he's on to "I look forward to the next chapter, and I'm thankful for...". Wow. He knows he's finished as the top guy in town, he's just going to hang on as long as he can. I'm guessing we're going to see a neutered Bernstein in his new time slot. Hopefully the doc only cut off the SJW bits, not the weird, wisecracking bits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I’m a BernStine fan. Always will be... I hope this is the move that sends him back to the old B&B mode. As fun as Terry was, Dan could be just as weird and funny. Maybe High Noon will make it’s glorious return.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I’m a BernStine fan. Always will be... I hope this is the move that sends him back to the old B&B mode. As fun as Terry was, Dan could be just as weird and funny. Maybe High Noon will make it’s glorious return.

Oohh yes, that would be pleasant. I irrationally mark out for Back to the Future III audio drops.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yup. About 15 minutes before Parkins said he can't "say anything" until tomorrow.

How ironic. I wonder if "Can't Do It!" will survive the shakeup.

I don't think one can top today's ultimate edition of "Can't Do It no mo'".