It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fixing The Bull
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
He is the second best player on that team.

I'm not going to get into the politics of rewarding players with more experience and a longer held "reputation" in the league.

Jimmy Butler was not highly touted coming out of college. He wasn't a great player from Day 1. He worked his ass off.

I could understand how the league takes awhile to adopt him as one of the current greats. It is unfair, but it is what it is.

I buy it with Carmelo. He isn't the same guy but not so much the other guys. Butler was slotted about where he should have played in the rotation.

The other issue which makes it difficult to place him in the top ten pertains to how he performs against top guys at his position. Kawhi Leonard thoroughly dominates him and he hasn't been able to do anything with the Greek Freak either. Last year Anthony outplayed him in 3 of 4 games too. If he is that "guy" then you should be able to hold your own better than he does when paired against other top players.

Giannis Antetokounmpo 6-11 Butler 6-7 I don' expect him to win that matchup

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Antetokounmpo is becoming a top player in the league. Kawhi is a top 5 player. Yes, it isn't unreasonable that they could one-up Jimmy Butler.

On December 30, 2006 Luol Deng outplayed Lebron James...going a very efficient 15 of 19 and helping cause Lebron to turn the ball over 5 times in a Bulls win.

Luol Deng is not better than Lebron James. Over their entire head to head career, LeBron James easily gets the best of that battle.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =antetgi01

As Jimmy Butler has gotten the best of Giannis Antetokounmpo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 pm 

I guess they should have kept Moore.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:47 pm 

IMU wrote:
Antetokounmpo is becoming a top player in the league. Kawhi is a top 5 player. Yes, it isn't unreasonable that they could one-up Jimmy Butler.

On December 30, 2006 Luol Deng outplayed Lebron James...going a very efficient 15 of 19 and helping cause Lebron to turn the ball over 5 times in a Bulls win.

Luol Deng is not better than Lebron James. Over their entire head to head career, LeBron James easily gets the best of that battle.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =antetgi01

As Jimmy Butler has gotten the best of Giannis Antetokounmpo.

You are placing Butler in the top five/ten based upon what though? Greek guy has gotten the better of him each time this season. His stats are also better and his team has Tony Snell, Delly, and Henson in the starting lineup and their record is the same as the Bulls.

When you get to his position you have to get to 5 before Butler even enters the conversation.

LeBron James

Durant

Leonard

Giannis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:53 pm 

I wouldn't put Antetokounmpo above Butler yet. Butler has been upper echelon for three seasons now...this is Antetokounmpo's first.

The other three are better than Butler. That doesn't mean Butler isn't better than DeMarcus Cousins or Kyrie Irving. He is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 pm 

IMU wrote:
I wouldn't put Antetokounmpo above Butler yet. Butler has been upper echelon for three seasons now...this is Antetokounmpo's first.

The other three are better than Butler. That doesn't mean Butler isn't better than DeMarcus Cousins or Kyrie Irving. He is.

No he isn't. I will just use Irving as an example. He dominated the league MVP from last year. He demonstrated what it takes to be that "guy". When Butler starts doing that against top tier guys then it becomes a conversation. That's old school lace em up and get after it basketball. When I consistently see him get locked up on D or outplayed on offense by top guys then it is difficult to put him in the conversation. Giannis is better and people had Butler top 10 last season too. He'd only played at a high level for one season and people here placed him in the top 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:10 pm 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

No he isn't. I will just use Irving as an example. He dominated the league MVP from last year. He demonstrated what it takes to be that "guy". When Butler starts doing that against top tier guys then it becomes a conversation. That's old school lace em up and get after it basketball. When I consistently see him get locked up on D or outplayed on offense by top guys then it is difficult to put him in the conversation. Giannis is better and people had Butler top 10 last season too. He'd only played at a high level for one season and people here placed him in the top 10

You talk like Irving was the reason the Cavs won the championship :roll:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Did you even watch the games? If so then there'd be no need to explain his impact.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:21 pm 

Butler looked pretty good against Lebron in the 2015 playoffs. He scored, rebounded and didn't turn the ball over. He also held Lebron to under 40% shooting for the series. 4.5 turnovers per game for Lebron.

He also one-upped the Antetokounmpo led Bucks in the first round.

And he has only gotten better in the two seasons since.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:27 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Did you even watch the games? If so then there'd be no need to explain his impact.

The main impact was Lebron's will and Greens' suspension ....and yes I watched the games did you?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:28 pm 

IMU wrote:
Butler looked pretty good against Lebron in the 2015 playoffs. He scored, rebounded and didn't turn the ball over. He also held Lebron to under 40% shooting for the series. 4.5 turnovers per game for Lebron.

He does tend to play James tough on defense. Defensively Butler is solid. He was better before his offense came along but he is still good to very good defensively.

It is his offense that prevents him from being upper echelon in my opinion. Doesn't shoot or handle particularly well and ball stops alot. He is good at drawing fouls though. It takes him too many dribbles to get his shot off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

The main impact was Lebron's will and Greens' suspension ....and yes I watched the games did you?

Anyone watching that series would have placed James 1 and Irving 1A as far as impact and Irving made the shot that won game 7. You don't what the hell you're talking about with that. You could pull up the stats and you'd still look foolish.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

He does tend to play James tough on defense. Defensively Butler is solid. He was better before his offense came along but he is still good to very good defensively.

It is his offense that prevents him from being upper echelon in my opinion. Doesn't shoot or handle particularly well and ball stops alot. He is good at drawing fouls though. It takes him too many dribbles to get his shot off.

His offense has improved a lot but I agree.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

There is no one blueprint for greatness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:59 pm 

IMU wrote:
Get the ball to Carmelo and get out of his way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:

Blueprint for mediocrity: playing Etwaun Moore significant minutes. Already product tested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684 ... own-number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:51 pm 

Since LTG thinks Butler is just a guy....then Leonard is the quintessential "bumslayer"

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/san-antonio-spurs/players/kawhi-leonard/profile/17/27/401

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:

Blueprint for mediocrity: playing Etwaun Moore significant minutes. Already product tested.
I agree. I wouldn't want either leading my team.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:52 pm 

E'Twaun Moore is essentially a better, more versatile Doug McDermott that also doesn't get lost on defense and can play quality minutes at 3 positions.

I still can't believe the Bulls traded the 16th and 19th picks...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
This year has been so damn frustrating.

I've come around to the belief that Hoiberg is overmatched by the NBA game. I know he doesn't necessarily have the type of players he wants or needs to run his system, but damn, these rotations of his make me want to reach through the screen and Vinny Del Negro him which would be quite the feat considering Fred doesn't wear a tie.

If we're going to roll with him through his contract then we might as well go full D'Antoni with this thing for the remainder of Holberg's time here. I cringe at the prospect of signing Bosh this offseason and trying to rekindle the flame that burned in Miami. It's not going to happen so please don't try.

Here's hoping we slip out of playoff contention and somehow, someway secure a top 4 pick. Otherwise we're f**cked as Bull fans under this ownership.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Matches Malone wrote:

I've come around to the belief that Hoiberg is overmatched by the NBA game.

Here's hoping we slip out of playoff contention and somehow, someway secure a top 4 pick. Otherwise we're f**cked as Bull fans under this ownership.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hoiberg has to go. He can't coach at this level. Butler has to be right behind him. The Butler as franchise player thing is a disaster.

I don't know if they will eat the salary but if they are then he has to go. The Bulls aren't very talented but that doesnt explain everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Hoiberg has to go. He can't coach at this level.

You can thank me later.

long time guy wrote:
Butler has to be right behind him. The Butler as franchise player thing is a disaster.
I don't know if they will eat the salary but if they are then he has to go. The Bulls aren't very talented but that doesnt explain everything.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:49 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You can thank me later.

long time guy wrote:
Butler has to be right behind him. The Butler as franchise player thing is a disaster.

Unlike you I was willing to give him a chance. Butler has to be bounced too. He isn't a franchise player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You can thank me later.

long time guy wrote:

Unlike you I was willing to give him a chance. Butler has to be bounced too. He isn't a franchise player.

His ineptness was on full display only two months into last season. There was no doubt he was in over his head.

Butler not being a franchise player isn't a reason to dump him - it's a reason to find a Batman so he can be Robin.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You can thank me later.

long time guy wrote:

His ineptness was on full display only two months into last season. There was no doubt he was in over his head.

Butler not being a franchise player isn't a reason to dump him - it's a reason to find a Batman so he can be Robin.

My reason for whacking Hoiberg is different than yours and I still don't believe he is the biggest thing afflicting the Bulls. Talent is still the biggest issue. I just don't think once they get better players that he is the guy to get it out of them

As far as Butler he is a problem. He also has played shitty as hell for about a month now. He isn't exactly separating himself for a guy billed to be a superstar. I don't want him as a 2nd best player either. Now that he is established he isn't going to accept that. Move him on while he still has value.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:31 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
veganfan21 wrote:

The problem is Jimmy sees himself as Batman and there's nobody that's going to change his mind about taking a lesser role. And even if you find a way to team him up with someone who's a legit star in their prime, that someone better not need the ball because Butler is going to dominate it. He's also going to slow things down so he can get his offense in.

Unfortunately for him and for us as fans, he's player best suited to a different era of NBA basketball.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Matches Malone wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

The problem is Jimmy sees himself as Batman and there's nobody that's going to change his mind about taking a lesser role. And even if you find a way to team him up with someone who's a legit star in their prime, that someone better not need the ball because Butler is going to dominate it. He's also going to slow things down so he can get his offense in.

Unfortunately for him and for us as fans, he's player best suited to a different era of NBA basketball.

I don't really see how one can conclude he irrevocably needs the ball in his hands at all times or would simply never accept not being Batman when there's literally never been anyone worth deferring to on the Bulls since his ascent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:27 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't really see how one can conclude he irrevocably needs the ball in his hands at all times or would simply never accept not being Batman when there's literally never been anyone worth deferring to on the Bulls since his ascent.

This, plus a.decent coach would be able to figure out a solution to the problem MM brought up.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next