It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Morrison
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
While the kid has an exceptional talent and will undoubtedly be more than just minimally effective in the NBA, I still can't really find a good reason to draft a guy early on who has the medical issues that Morrison has. I see him going late in the first round, but maybe even a mid-second round pick.

So, what team ends up taking the risky Morrison?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

He'll be a lottery pick.

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

With the exception of the Bulls, 3 of the first 4 teams will be considering him. He won’t get by Portland at #4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dallas Winston wrote:
He'll be a lottery pick.

You think so ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Interesting article from the Oregonian.....

The Big Workout: Gay shines
By looking through the blinds in the media room Thursday, I got a chance to see a large chunk of the Blazers workout featuring Adam Morrison, Rudy Gay, Brandon Roy and Hassan Adams.

My opinion, and granted, I'm just a beat reporter and not a talent evaluator: Rudy Gay outplayed Morrison.

The most striking facet of the workout was Gay's ability to drive past Morrison. Twice this resulted in thunderous dunks by Gay. Morrison also had his shot blocked multiple times by Gay.

All of this was witnessed by owner Paul Allen, who sat courtside between team president Steve Patterson and director of player personnel Kevin Pritchard.

Everybody knows that Morrison's defense will be a concern, and I think today's workout confirmed those questions. Morrison always appeared a step slow. That being said, I thought Morrison - and everyone for that matter - competed at a very high level. It wasn't like any one of the four was scoring at will. In fact, there was a time when Morrison cut off Gay's baseline drive, after which Gay hit the side of the backboard with his shot.

Afterward, Morrison said he did not perform as well as he did in his first workout in Charlotte.

"I didn't shoot or play as well as I would have liked,'' Morrison said. "But I felt good about how I worked out.''

Regarding his head-to-head play against Gay, Morrison said "I did all right against him", while complimenting Gay's length and athletic ability.

"He's got tremendous ability,'' Morrison said of Gay.

Gay meanwhile said he felt he "did pretty good'' and made a point to take Morrison off the dribble and take it to the basket.

"That's something that a lot of people think I can't do,'' Gay said. "In these workouts I think it's a great time to show things you didn't do in the season.''

After the large media horde - the largest I can ever remember for a workout - was let into the gym, the quartet did shooting drills. When it came time for Morrison to shoot from three point range, Blazers coach Nate McMillan made a point to stop the drill and had the players and coaches on the floor clear to the side.

"Let these guys see this,'' McMillan said playfully.

Morrison then proceeded to shoot okay, hitting about 4 of 10 shots, after which he clapped his hands together in disappointment. Still, what a pretty shot. Former Blazers center Chris Dudley was on hand, and remarked that Morrison's game will translate well to the NBA because of his high release point.

Brandon Roy in these drills showed great accuracy from 15 feet, hitting about 8 of 10 shots. Again, very pretty shot. During the competitive portion of the workout, I noticed that Roy had trouble finishing at the rim, but he also had some nice passes to Morrison after penetrating.

Afterward, McMillan refused to talk about individual players. saying that it was "pretty much what we expected. They did what they could, and the guys who were scorers and shooters ... what I saw on tape, I saw here.''

In summary: I thought Gay outplayed Morrison, and that Roy was as advertised - not great at anything, but solid at everything.

I'm not sure how much this workout will go in determining the Blazers draft decision. I think they are high on Morrison, but I think they are unsure if he will be there at No. 4. I know this, however: Gay had to improve his standing on the Blazers' draft board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

BD wrote:
Dallas Winston wrote:
He'll be a lottery pick.

You think so ?

:lol: I know that's being Captain Obvious on my part, but I was responding to Ugueth thinking he'd fall to late 1st/2nd round.

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dallas Winston wrote:
BD wrote:
Dallas Winston wrote:
He'll be a lottery pick.

You think so ?

:lol: I know that's being Captain Obvious on my part, but I was responding to Ugueth thinking he'd fall to late 1st/2nd round.

Yeah, I figured you were being sarcastic to the original post....

It will be interesting at pick #3 to see what Charlotte does....I don't think Toronto will take Morrison unless they trade down, and, although they aren't calling Michael Jordan anything but an owner, how much say will he have on the draft ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Perhaps the thought of a team like the Bulls who actually have some sort of policy in screening the overall health history of their players (Eddie Curry for example) and making decisions based on that past. True, Morrison has played with diabetes his entire life, but how many of these teams are willing to draft a player who probably (IMO) only has a maximum of 5 years at the top of his game in this league before his health catches up with him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Ugueth Will Cut You wrote:
Perhaps the thought of a team like the Bulls who actually have some sort of policy in screening the overall health history of their players (Eddie Curry for example) and making decisions based on that past. True, Morrison has played with diabetes his entire life, but how many of these teams are willing to draft a player who probably (IMO) only has a maximum of 5 years at the top of his game in this league before his health catches up with him?

How do we know that Morrison will only have a maximum of 5 years at the top of his game ? I think the team who drafts him will disagree with that.