It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Hockey is back!

Chicago Blackhawks 2013-14 Pre-Season Games On Television

Details
Published on Monday, 16 September 2013 18:04

The NHL Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks are back to defend their championship starting this week. The team will play six pre-season games, four of which will be televised.

Out of the six pre-season games the Chicago Blackhawks have scheduled, the following four will be televised on either Comcast SportsNet (CSN) locally or the NHL Network (NHLN) nationally:
Thursday, September 19 - vs. Pittsburgh Penguins - 7:00pm - CSN
Friday, September 20 - at Washington Capitals - 6:00pm - CSN and NHLN
Sunday, September 22 - at Detroit Red Wings - 4:00pm - NHLN
Saturday, September 28 - vs. Washington Capitals - 7:00pm - CSN+*

*Note: Due to a conflict with another sporting event, the September 28th pre-season game will be moved to CSN+. For viewers with Comcast/Xfinity Cable or RCN, the CSN+ channel is most often found on CLTV (Comcast Cable on channel 285 and RCN on channel 616 -- both in HD). Other ways to see CSN+ will be on AT&T U-Verse channel 1741 or 1742-HD, W.O.W. channel 14/15, DirecTV channel 666 or 666-HD, and Dish Network channel 440 or 9575-HD. Consult the guide in CSNChicago.com or your cable/satellite system's channel guide the day of the broadcast to be certain.

Once again, the announcers for the televised Blackhawks games on CSN Chicago and CSN+ will be the highly popular team of Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk.

The following two pre-season games will not be shown on live television, either locally or nationally:
Tuesday, September 17 - vs. Detroit Red Wings - 7:00pm
Monday, September 23 - at Pittsburgh Penguins - 6:00pm

While not on regular radio, all six of the pre-season games will be streamed live on WGNRadio.com. Also once again, the skillful announcers for the radio broadcasts will be John Wiedeman and Troy Murray.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I am jacked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Preseason hockey is a colossal waste of time and shouldn't even be televised, lest some unwitting channel-surfer get the wrong idea.

My biggest hope for September is that Q comes to his senses on Saad and keeps him at left wing. Like I said earlier this summer, if you're going to move a wing to center, it has to be Patrick Sharp, who has proven he can play the position and would allow the Hawks to go with a Bickell-Toews-Kane line and a Saad-Sharp-Hossa line, which replicates the #1 line from the Finals and puts Saad back with Hossa, with whom he flourished in the regular season. Alas, it'll probably be a rotation of Saad, Kane, Pirri, Shaw, and a wheel of Gouda cheese.

I'd like to see Shaw moved back to wing now that we have a glut of bottom-six centers in Kruger, Pirri, Handzus, and maybe LeBlanc. With all those guys to choose from, there's no reason not to strip Shaw's game back down a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I don't usually pay attention to the preseason but I have this year. What is with the misconducts? Someone from Detroit already got one tonight and then that whole LA/Phoenix thing Sunday was crazy. Is this where you audition to be the next enforcer shithead?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am 

Noted dumbfuck Krys Barch got into three fights with some minor-leaguer from the Isles' system. Three fights in one game is a game misconduct. They should make it two.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:56 pm 

Sounds like Saad is done at center, by the way, but it also sounds like Brandon Pirri and Drew LeBlanc have shat up the joint. This could be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 am 

With another big round of cuts (Raanta, Danault, the other Broadhurst, et al), the 23-man roster is just about set. We're set at defense: the same seven from last year + Stanton as the #8. Set at goal. At forward, we can safely say that Toews, Kane, Sharp, Saad, Hossa, Bickell, Shaw, Kruger, Handzus, and (ugh, sigh) Bollig all made the team.

So that's 20 out of 23, with 18 of those being the guys expected to dress on a regular basis. That leaves two everyday forwards and a 13th (or three and Bollig as the 13th, in a just world), to be culled from Hayes, Pirri, Morin, Smith, and this Swedish gentleman named Joakim Nordstrom.

I would say that Ben Smith should probably make the cut. Low-ceiling guy, but he has a high hockey IQ and can do what's asked of him. Sounds tailor-made for a fourth-line wing. Morin has the highest upside of the five, and has always looked good in his callups, nose for the net and all that jazz. Hayes has had a good camp, and a big-body wing (we've abandoned that center delusion, I hope) is always a good thing to have, but he still strikes me as something of a project, and we all know he has a penchant for falling on his ass.

Pirri is another guy with a high upside, but Quenneville just doesn't seem to like the kid, and he had a bad camp, what with being injured and all. The problem with Pirri, as best I can tell, is that he has the scoring and playmaking for the top six, but lacks the all-around hockey sense needed for a team whose system is built on getting takeaways and subsequently controlling time of possession (hey, sounds like Lovie Smith's Bears). That takes you to the old catch-22 of NHL fourth-line minutes vs. AHL first-line minutes, and so far, the organization has elected for the latter with him, which has allowed him to flourish as a scorer at the expense of proving that he's ready for an assignment as big as centering Sharp and Hossa, which the organization doesn't seem to see as a learn-on-the-job position. There's also the fact that Teravainen is waiting in the wings and will almost certainly be here next year and for years to come, and that he has the #fasttrack to top-six minutes. Doesn't sound like there's much of a future for a 22-year-old going into his fourth year in the organization. I would guess that Pirri stays in the AHL to be showcased further and ultimately traded. It's probably for the best for him.

As for this Nordstrom fellow, I dunno, but he appears to be a natural center and the fact that he's even here this late in September has to be significant. Apparently, he was a third-round pick in the 2010 draft, and for him to make it to the show would be a nice feather in Stan's cap, as his 2010 draft is looking kinda...not good. In fairness, though, I checked hockey-reference's page, and it seems like almost everyone's 2010 draft was kinda not good. Florida had a big one (Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Howden), Minnesota got Granlund and Zucker (and traded for Coyle from the Sharks), Anaheim came away with Fowler, Etem, and Smith-Pelly, St. Louis got Schwartz and Tarasenko, but other than the Hall/Seguin sure-fires, that's really about it. Carolina got Jeff Skinner, who is really good, but they've done fuck-all with him there, so who cares?

An interesting dynamic here is that the Hawks could theoretically ice an all-rookie fourth line of Morin, Nordstrom, and Smith (if he's still considered a rookie), and while this sounds dicey, and probably is, it may also make more sense than going Handzus/Shaw/Kruger down the middle, with your #2 being old, your #3 being out of position, and your #4 being lower than a guy who's old and a guy who's out of position.

(EDIT: Nordstrom is 6'1''/160. 160! On a fourth line? Uh oh.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I can deal with Hayes, Smith and Morin rounding out the roster.

Shame about Pirri, but ya gotta have an odd man out; maybe he's this season's designated Rockford Express guy when he's healthy?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 am 

Sounding more and more like Nordstrom and Hayes made the team with Morin as the Rockford Express. I don't like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:48 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Sounding more and more like Nordstrom and Hayes made the team with Morin as the Rockford Express. I don't like that.

I hope not. Morin has shown he's ready to be an every day player. Have Hayes be Rockford Express.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 am 

Now it's sounding like Stanton is out and Mike Kostka is going to be an 8th D/14th F. Fourth line in practice had Nordstrom centering Kruger and Bollig. Quenneville's continued insistence on having Brandon Bollig on this team is really holding things back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm 

Last preseason game tonight. Raanta back up to get another look, but I'd expect him to go right back down. Pray for Morin to hat-trick.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:41 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Last preseason game tonight. Raanta back up to get another look, but I'd expect him to go right back down. Pray for Morin to hat-trick.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 3h

With no Handzus or Hossa, #Blackhawks lines are Bickell-Toews-Kane, Sharp-Kruger-Smith, Saad-Shaw-Hayes, Bollig-Pirri-Nordstrom. No Morin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:07 pm 

Hmph. Guess that's that. He'll get his chance eventually. I'm sure he'll be up when Hossa hits the DL, which maybe he ought to right now. Again, though, there's no reason to have Bollig on this team, but Q always needs his pet genius. Remember Matt Walker?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 pm 

Walker has nothing on John Scott. You see the brawl he instigated in Toronto last week?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:16 am 

Yeah, Phil Kessel is a semi-nutless bitch.

Morin and Pirri got cut, as expected. 24 players left on what needs to be a 23-man roster, so I guess it's down to Stanton or Kostka for the #8D spot. I don't really care either way and neither should you. Maybe both stay and Brookbank gets dealt, but who has the money to take him on this late? They should have tried to pawn him off on Carolina, which has the worst blue line in the league such that even Sheldon Brookbank would help make them almost acceptable.

I guess I get keeping Morin in the AHL if it's a matter of being better for him to play every day in the AHL than sit in the press box as a healthy scratch, but then you'd better call him up as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:33 pm 

Not certain yet, but it sounds like Kyle Beach is going to sign with a Swedish team, the enigmatically named "HV71." Because he's defecting and not being loaned, this would take his contract off the 50-man roster completely. He'd be out of the organization. And there goes a #11 draft pick. You're the best, Tallon.

The upside is that it opens a contract slot for Maxim Shalunov, who apparently had a great training camp but was only on a tryout and is now only on an AHL tryout. That he chose to give Rockford a shot rather than scurry back to Russia augurs well for his ambition and work ethic, which is really saying something considering the goddamn Russians are so lazy and self-interested that I'm not sure it's not a genetic trait. He was another pick from that great 2011 draft, but I think the signing window had closed on him. Now would be a good time to sign him and make sure he's in the organization.

EDIT: Stanton to waivers, Kostka is the eighth defenseman, and it sounds like they might actually loan Beach after all. Welp. In Stan We Trust, I guess/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:23 pm 

Stanton didn't clear waivers. He is now a Vancouver Canuck! I bet Canucks fans are all "haha take THAT" about it.

Apparently Beach did clear waivers and has indeed been loaned to HV71.