It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
18 hour smoke on the two pork butts. The one rested for 2 hours and the other 4. Damn things wouldn’t
Shred. So disappointing. They looked and tasted great but they wouldn’t shred up so That is the third time I’ve tried this and none have shredded. :|

Do you do bone-in?

I’ve had best results by tracking temps slowly like you did but once you get 190 or higher just wait until it slides out and that’s usually perfect shredding.

That's what she said.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
T-Bone wrote:
18 hour smoke on the two pork butts. The one rested for 2 hours and the other 4. Damn things wouldn’t
Shred. So disappointing. They looked and tasted great but they wouldn’t shred up so That is the third time I’ve tried this and none have shredded. :|

Do you do bone-in?

I’ve had best results by tracking temps slowly like you did but once you get 190 or higher just wait until it slides out and that’s usually perfect shredding.

Agree with the good Dr. I did a 8 pound butt this past Saturday. Pulled it at 195F (was already wrapped in foil at 160F), wrapped it in a couple of towels, then into a cooler until it was dinner time. Rested probably about 90 minutes, I'd guess. Bone slide right out, perfect shredding. My wife made a sauce that was outstanding that we used instead of normal barbeque sauce. It's going to be the standard going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

18 hours seems really long.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Brick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

It does but it sounded like he started at very low temps on the smoker.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:14 am 

Brick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

That could be the problem though. I've done a lot of pulled pork and it takes about 10 hours to get to temperature and it's always shredded virtually on it's own and that is with it wrapped in foil the last 2 hours.

I use this one every time.
https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/pulled-pork-sandwiches/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:57 am 

that is some dedication

I'm pissed when it takes me 10 minutes a side to cook a hamburger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

That could be the problem though. I've done a lot of pulled pork and it takes about 10 hours to get to temperature and it's always shredded virtually on it's own and that is with it wrapped in foil the last 2 hours.

I had the smoker set at 165 and then I went to bed. It was consistiently sitting at 170 to 175 so I thought I was ok. It kind of stalled out around 145 internal so I started bumping the temp up
so I could wrap it up. I wrapped both in butcher paper for the first time rather than foil. Again it kind of stalled out in the 180s so I kept bumping the temp up so I could pull the meat by 3pm and
let it rest for a few hours. It would appear it was too low and too slow. I don't know the science behind it but maybe I need to start up closer to 180 or 190. My concern was that my phone would
go off at 2am and I would have to tend to the smoker and not be able to go back to sleep. Maybe going too low and slow didn't allow the connective tissue to break down. I'll try again some
other time. At least it still tastes good, just frustrating after putting all the time and effort into it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
T-Bone wrote:
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I had the smoker set at 165 and then I went to bed. It was consistiently sitting at 170 to 175 so I thought I was ok. It kind of stalled out around 145 internal so I started bumping the temp up
so I could wrap it up. I wrapped both in butcher paper for the first time rather than foil. Again it kind of stalled out in the 180s so I kept bumping the temp up so I could pull the meat by 3pm and
let it rest for a few hours. It would appear it was too low and too slow. I don't know the science behind it but maybe I need to start up closer to 180 or 190. My concern was that my phone would
go off at 2am and I would have to tend to the smoker and not be able to go back to sleep. Maybe going too low and slow didn't allow the connective tissue to break down. I'll try again some
other time. At least it still tastes good, just frustrating after putting all the time and effort into it.

Wouldn't you want to be closer to 225 degrees as cooking temp?
I only used butcher paper twice....I found aluminum foil a slightly better option for wrapping. Juicier results.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
BigW72 wrote:
I only used butcher paper twice....I found aluminum foil a slightly better option for wrapping. Juicier results.

225 degrees is what a buddy of mine said. Again, my concern was that putting it on at 9pm and setting it at that temp I thought I would be getting up at 2 or 3am which is what I was
trying to avoid. The article I was following did it at 180 and said it turned out great. It's a mystery to me. Again the food I made was quite tasty I am just going to have to keep
trying until I figure it out. I liked the butcher paper overall, much easier to use but you could be right about keeping the juices in there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Dr. Ken Jr. II is graduating HS tonight so I thought I'd make him and the boys a post-graduation snack.

They also have Malnati's coming but this is better.

I'll be watching to see which of his friends have more refined tastes.

What's the going rate for graduation gifts? I don't want to appear cheap but I ain't rich either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Spaulding wrote:
Dr. Ken Jr. II is graduating HS tonight so I thought I'd make him and the boys a post-graduation snack.

What's the going rate for graduation gifts? I don't want to appear cheap but I ain't rich either.

Good question....last year friend's kid got $100. If that's cheap, I don't care cause I'm pretty sure they gave my kid $50 the year prior :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Spaulding wrote:

$75-$100 is about normal for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:09 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
T-Bone wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

225 degrees is what a buddy of mine said. Again, my concern was that putting it on at 9pm and setting it at that temp I thought I would be getting up at 2 or 3am which is what I was
trying to avoid. The article I was following did it at 180 and said it turned out great. It's a mystery to me. Again the food I made was quite tasty I am just going to have to keep
trying until I figure it out. I liked the butcher paper overall, much easier to use but you could be right about keeping the juices in there.

I have used this recipe several times, most recently a couple weeks ago. And we too get our pork from Costco and it too is often in two hunks. The wife ties each one up with butcher string. It does take longer than the recipe says; I think the last one took 16 hours. Aside from that it turns out perfectly. I just resign myself to getting up a couple times at night to check it. But I am old so I get up anyway :lol:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/ ... pe/#recipe

So maybe yours was not hot enough? As for the stall I don't rush it by wrapping it or anything else. I just shoot for air temp of 237 and let it stay on until the meat hits 203.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Not sure I'll do an all night smoke ever again. You can get plenty of bark and smoke after the sous vide, with a couple hours on the smoker @ 225-250...adding a little sear on a hot grill if you want.

Especially if you want to be awake and present for company when you're finished cooking.

Dry brine for up to 24 hours. I usually only go an hour or so. I salt the pork and then go about getting the sous vide stuff ready.

36 hours @ 155 in the sous vide.

50/50 ice and water bath for 30-60Minutes to stop the cook and firm up the meat. You can refrigerate now for a few days if need be.

When you're ready, fire up the smoker. I end up only needing one charcoal chimney of charcoal to get the temp needed for up to a couple hours. I use about 4 oz of apple and Hickory every 30 minutes...so I only add wood twice.

Temp can range from 200-300 in the smoker, it doesn't really matter. You're just looking for a crust and to warm the meat up to 130 or so.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:25 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I dated a girl named Susan Vee one time.

Marathon sessions. Lots of hydration needed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:33 am 

I dated a girl named Susan Vee one time.

Marathon sessions. Lots of hydration needed.

Heard she was only luke warm in the sack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:35 am 

Luke Warm - least effective superhero I've seen.

Mild sunburn rarely stopped the villains.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:11 pm 

Going to fire up a 7lb pork tenderloin at halftime.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:16 pm 

Have a brisket, a corned beef for pastrami and 3 racks of ribs on ice. Firing up the smoker when I get home in an hour. Will post pics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:48 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
That looks great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:33 am 

Salted then 36 hrs in the sous vide @ 150

Ice bath for a few hours.

Rub and into the smoker @ 250 for about 2.5 hours until internal temp was around 130.

I think I should have gone 155 in the sous vide for 36.

Big Bad Beef Rub:
3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Damn that looks good

Anyone done beef ribs before ? I bought a slab, looked awesome. These things are like Flinstone size

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:40 pm 

I sliced it, refrigerated, then brought it out to my inlaws. Warmed it @ 250 for about an hour. That loosened up the connective tissue a bit more. It was fantastic. Didn't even need sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:07 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

Rub and into the smoker @ 250 for about 2.5 hours until internal temp was around 130.

Big Bad Beef Rub:

You may have said 30 pages ago, but what kind of smoker do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:22 pm 

The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Big Bad Beef Rub:

I have a "Good One" Marshall. It's a variation on the offset smoker. It's commercial grade and can handle a lot of meat at a time.

https://thegood-one.com/the-marshall/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:43 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Big Bad Beef Rub:

I have a "Good One" Marshall. It's a variation on the offset smoker. It's commercial grade and can handle a lot of meat at a time.

https://thegood-one.com/the-marshall/

Nice! How difficult is it to regulate the temp? Offsets need to be watched fairly closely.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:54 pm 

It is incredible how well it holds temp. Having the fire chamber across the entire width of the smoke chamber ensures even temps. There's a damper lever on the side...once you reach your cook temp, it hardly needs to be tweaked.

I have learned that I can get close to three hours out of a single chimney of charcoal and a few chunks of wood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:17 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
It is incredible how well it holds temp. Having the fire chamber across the entire width of the smoke chamber ensures even temps. There's a damper lever on the side...once you reach your cook temp, it hardly needs to be tweaked.

I have learned that I can get close to three hours out of a single chimney of charcoal and a few chunks of wood.

Ok, that was my next question about fuel. I assume you could use all wood?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 am 

The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Ok, that was my next question about fuel. I assume you could use all wood?

Absolutely. I have used briquettes, hardwood charcoal and split oak logs at different times. It's a very versatile, heavy duty tool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next