It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If Illinois did such a thing, then Lake County Indiana would probably not play ball and would allow people around it. Heck, it would be great for Hammond.

Let's assume they did

:lol:

Ogie, we're making fun of BRick at the moment.
You may want to read up on Illinois Use Tax law before you get cocky that I'm the one looking foolish here. I mean, at least use google prior to being condescending. It can save you embarrassment.

Let's assume he already has

:lol: Nicely done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Bad laws should be broken. You would have to be a real fucking boyscout to buy pop in Indiana or another county and report it to Illinois. We all know that even if on the books, it is 100% unenforceable.
Oh well, maybe Don Tiny will apologize to me.

How do you enforce a use tax when it is 100% based upon self policing and Illinois Dept of Revenue has no clue what you purchased over state lines? As mentioned, I don't think a single board member here will say they have ever paid it.

At this point it might as well be that odd law on the books from the 19th century that no one has heard of except for when it is used as a trivial point to highlight archaic laws .
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are difficult to enforce and for small purchases it isn't worth enforcement. That is why they concentrate on the bigger guys.

It still doesn't change the fact that in person Use Taxes are accepted by the courts as legal.

I'll give you the online diamond industry as my example. Take for this example Blue Nile. They are located in Washington state is only located there and only collects tax there. In fact, many of the affiliate sites which drive traffic to them will point this fact out to encourage buyers from the other 49 states.

Do you think an Illinois buyer from Blue Nile is paying tax on their purchase, which could easily be in the 5 figures? Do you think the Illinois Dept of Revenue even know of the purchase? nope.
What is your point?

Many laws are tough to enforce. I'm not arguing otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Bad laws should be broken. You would have to be a real fucking boyscout to buy pop in Indiana or another county and report it to Illinois. We all know that even if on the books, it is 100% unenforceable.

How do you enforce a use tax when it is 100% based upon self policing and Illinois Dept of Revenue has no clue what you purchased over state lines? As mentioned, I don't think a single board member here will say they have ever paid it.

At this point it might as well be that odd law on the books from the 19th century that no one has heard of except for when it is used as a trivial point to highlight archaic laws .
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are difficult to enforce and for small purchases it isn't worth enforcement. That is why they concentrate on the bigger guys.

It still doesn't change the fact that in person Use Taxes are accepted by the courts as legal.

I'll give you the online diamond industry as my example. Take for this example Blue Nile. They are located in Washington state is only located there and only collects tax there. In fact, many of the affiliate sites which drive traffic to them will point this fact out to encourage buyers from the other 49 states.

Do you think an Illinois buyer from Blue Nile is paying tax on their purchase, which could easily be in the 5 figures? Do you think the Illinois Dept of Revenue even know of the purchase? nope.
What is your point?

Many laws are tough to enforce. I'm not arguing otherwise.

Your argument is that a use tax could stop people from dodging the soda tax by purchasing out of county. My counterpoint (backed by the fact no one actually pays use tax) is that use taxes are not enforced nor can they ever be effectively enforced so people will without issue get around this foolish Cook County tax and in the process Cook County will lose out on sales tax revenue from other items bought alongside the soda.

That's pretty simple.

Are we done here?

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

For retyping "Let's assume they did"? Not likely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

For retyping "Let's assume they did"? Not likely.
I expected as much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The use tax only applies to state sales tax, not the village/county ones. As long as you paid the state portion 6.25%, which you would in any Illinois County, then you are fine. Buy in Lake. Buy in McHenry. Buy in Kane.

http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/Ill ... se-Tax.htm

"Illinois Use Tax

Many Illinois taxpayers are unaware that a Use Tax exists in Illinois. Do you know about Use Tax?

In 1955, the General Assembly passed the Use Tax Act. Use Tax is a sales tax that you, as the purchaser, owe on items that you buy for use in Illinois. If the seller does not collect at least 6.25 percent sales tax, you must pay the difference to the Illinois Department of Revenue. The most common purchases on which the seller does not collect Illinois Use Tax are those made via the internet, from a mail order catalog, or made when traveling outside Illinois. You must keep your receipts when you make these types of purchases."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 pm 

denisdman wrote:
The use tax only applies to state sales tax, not the village/county ones. As long as you paid the state portion 6.25%, which you would in any Illinois County, then you are fine. Buy in Lake. Buy in McHenry. Buy in Kane.

"Illinois Use Tax

Many Illinois taxpayers are unaware that a Use Tax exists in Illinois. Do you know about Use Tax?

In 1955, the General Assembly passed the Use Tax Act. Use Tax is a sales tax that you, as the purchaser, owe on items that you buy for use in Illinois. If the seller does not collect at least 6.25 percent sales tax, you must pay the difference to the Illinois Department of Revenue. The most common purchases on which the seller does not collect Illinois Use Tax are those made via the internet, from a mail order catalog, or made when traveling outside Illinois. You must keep your receipts when you make these types of purchases."
You are correct but let me point out the discussion was that use taxes aren't allowed by the courts for in person purchases(which then quickly shifted to that it's hard to enforce).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Bagels wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

That is the exact pic my friend put up on FB. :lol:

how is that 2 items :scratch:

My guess is that it's difficult or impossible for most current registers to handle a new tax that is based on the number of ounces in the product, so the store probably created a separate SKU for each of the various soda container sizes and ring that up as a separate item.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:32 pm 

Anyways, as I said before, if you are driving farther away than you otherwise would to buy sugar water because of a tax on it then you need to reevaluate how important sugar water is to you. I used to enjoy a lot of sugar water too but I'm not going way out of my way to get it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:32 pm 

denisdman wrote:

"Illinois Use Tax

Given that you have likely bought things online and paid no tax, did you pay your use tax? I'm guessing no and I doubt anyone on this board will say they have filed to pay it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Anyways, as I said before, if you are driving farther away than you otherwise would to buy sugar water because of a tax on it then you need to reevaluate how important sugar water is to you. I used to enjoy a lot of sugar water too but I'm not going way out of my way to get it.

People already do it for gas so why would this be different? It's the concept of not rewarding local government for raising taxes to cover up their own incompetence. Cook County deserves the economic ramifications of lost tax revenue for trying to play the role of nanny state rather than trying to reign in their out of control spending.

Also, it isn't just sugar water as this applies to items without sugar as well. I'm not talking aspartame items either. Splenda has been proven to be a safe sugar substitute and items containing it are taxed as if they have sugar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not driving to Deerfield from Rogers Park to specifically buy pop, but you can bet I'll grab it when I'm up there, which I am every week.

Also, I buy all the supplies for my club at the Russians on Dundee and Milwaukee, but it's no big deal to roll north of Lake-Cook to avoid paying an extra $20 in pop tax. And when I'm there, I'm gonna buy all my booze and groceries too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'm not driving to Deerfield from Rogers Park to specifically buy pop, but you can bet I'll grab it when I'm up there, which I am every week.

Also, I buy all the supplies for my club at the Russians on Dundee and Milwaukee, but it's no big deal to roll north of Lake-Cook to avoid paying an extra $20 in pop tax. And when I'm there, I'm gonna buy all my booze and groceries too.

So by passing this soda tax, Cook County is losing out on what could be thousands of dollars into their retail economy and hundreds in collected sales tax from you alone. Would I be misreading that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Given that you have likely bought things online and paid no tax, did you pay your use tax? I'm guessing no and I doubt anyone on this board will say they have filed to pay it.

I've been paying my use tax for online purchases for several years now. In the last few, a lot easier since most major online retailers now charge sales tax.

I'm supporting your beta male ass by paying for the infrastructure and services you use daily. You're welcome.

Last edited by IMU on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:38 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
People already do it for gas so why would this be different? It's the concept of not rewarding local government for raising taxes to cover up their own incompetence. Cook County deserves the economic ramifications of lost tax revenue for trying to play the role of nanny state rather than trying to reign in their out of control spending.
People on the border of Cook County may do it for gas.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Also, it isn't just sugar water as this applies to items without sugar as well. I'm not talking aspartame items either. Splenda has been proven to be a safe sugar substitute and items containing it are taxed as if they have sugar.
I'm not so sure that Splenda has been "proven to be safe".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It was already cheaper there though given the sales tax difference.

Score another one for the suburbs I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
People on the border of Cook County may do it for gas.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'm not so sure that Splenda has been "proven to be safe".

Splenda has been proven time and time again to be safe. About the only detractors you will find are the Mercola types and I'd say he has no credibility when he is an anti-vaxer.

Aspartame is another story though, which is why many people seek out Splenda.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I'm going to avoid Splenda, but I've been cutting back on sugar in my diet heavily for the last month and a half anyway.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262475.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
I'm going to avoid Splenda, but I've been cutting back on sugar in my diet heavily for the last month and a half anyway.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262475.php

Most studies will say that Splenda is safe and it has not been linked to cancer as Aspartame has http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2017/05/ ... 494340228/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm 

One would presume this will be good for the Local Milk People

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm 

Snopes also debunked the "splenda is unsafe" myth.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/splenda.asp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:55 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You said "proven to be safe". There is a lot of information starting to come out that ALL artificial sweeteners meant to mimic sugar are bad for you. It doesn't mean you are going to raise your cancer risk or that you are going to have your stomach explode but it would be hard to call it "safe" if we don't consider sugar "safe".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

The snopes article was last updated a year before the article I posted, but the European study was posted a year after.

:compress:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You said "proven to be safe". There is a lot of information starting to come out that ALL artificial sweeteners meant to mimic sugar are bad for you. It doesn't mean you are going to raise your cancer risk or that you are going to have your stomach explode but it would be hard to call it "safe" if we don't consider sugar "safe".

as with most food products, sugar itself is safe. It comes down to being responsible and having reasonable amounts/portions of it.

Fat, cholesterol, sugar, etc. are all necessary components in your food. You cannot eliminate them entirely, but simply must be an adult and be responsible for what you intake.

We are adults and we alone should be responsible for what we eat. it is not up to the state to dictate what we can and can't do with our own bodies. Does the phrase "my body my choice" mean anything to you?

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:00 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
The snopes article was last updated a year before the article I posted, but the European study was posted a year after.

and my article referencing the new European study on Splenda was from 2-3 months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:01 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

and my article referencing the new European study on Splenda was from 2-3 months ago.

That's what I said Ogie!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Didn't they ban any food deemed to be unsafe in Demolition Man?

Is that what you want, Rick?

Assholes walking around in mu mus all the time telling you to fucking Be Well?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

That's what I said Ogie!!!

I think we are referring to 2 separate studies, this is the one I was referring to:

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2017/05/ ... 494340228/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
we are all going to die anyways, fyi.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 pm 

I think everyone agrees with you in principle Ogie.

If the tax leads to less people drinking diabetes fuel then that's not a bad thing either tho.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next