It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Torture Video
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what if one race views themselves as morally superior?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[]

A lot of people use "racism" and "prejudice" and "bigotry" interchangeably. Racism is a larger concept than simply dislike or hatred of a person due to his or her immutable qualities. It's not that black people are incapable of being racist given the opportunity. It's that such opportunity doesn't exist in larger American society.

That's one point of view.[/quote]

Yeah, one based on the definition of racism as "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

I don't really see how a black person in the United States could possibly believe that his race was the superior one. .[/quote]

You are only referencing superiority in the current, local power structure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:
billypootons wrote:
Have photos of all involved been posted yet? Would prefer a graduation photo or at least dress shirt be used in the media per typical practice

I am sure outside of this instance they are all good kids.

Quote:
10:30 a.m.

The grandmother of a young woman associated with a live video on Facebook of a beating says her granddaughter "had her ups and downs," but is "a good person."

Priscilla Covington of Chicago says she raised the young woman "since she was a baby." She says her granddaughter no longer lives at the family home but still lives in Chicago.

The grandmother says the video doesn't reflect the young woman she raised.

She says she's worried because her family, including the woman's younger sisters, have been threatened since the video was posted online.

She says she saw and talked to her granddaughter about four days ago, and "she was OK."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
what if one race views themselves as morally superior?

I think a natural consequence of hundreds of years of subjugation and secondary status is going to necessarily cause the subjugated to view themselves as morally superior. And a good argument could be made that they are correct. Although I don't subscribe to such a viewpoint. I believe that people are people and human nature isn't determined by arbitrary characteristics such as skin color.

I always use the NBA as an example of a micro-society wherein in it is entirely possible for black people to be racist. Obviously, there is an idea that blacks are inherently superior physically. I've seen such an idea promoted in this very forum, as well as on a certain radio show that many of us listen to.

When put in a situation where a minority is faced with racism, that minority cannot become racist in the opposite way. In fact, the minority absorbs and embraces the prevailing racist ideology. This is illustrated in the NBA example by Larry Bird believing that an opposing coach assigning a white player to guard him is an insult.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
pittmike wrote:
billypootons wrote:
Have photos of all involved been posted yet? Would prefer a graduation photo or at least dress shirt be used in the media per typical practice

Quote:

The grandmother of a young woman associated with a live video on Facebook of a beating says her granddaughter "had her ups and downs," but is "a good person."

Priscilla Covington of Chicago says she raised the young woman "since she was a baby." She says her granddaughter no longer lives at the family home but still lives in Chicago.

She says she's worried because her family, including the woman's younger sisters, have been threatened since the video was posted online.

She says she saw and talked to her granddaughter about four day ago, and "she was OK."

You can count on these comments like you can count on the sun coming up. First comes the minimizing "her ups and downs" and then the immediate posturing as the TRUE VICTIMS, like stupid online threats by angry pollocks in the comment sections of WGN articles are really actionable.

Zero accountability from the community that tolerates all this violence.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am 

I believe all people are equally horrible regardless of skin color.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:

I often hate people myself, but if I reflect on it logically, I have to come to the conclusion that people are basically good and circumstances/what they are taught causes them to do bad things. Otherwise, I think the world would be even more fucked up than it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 pm 

are dolphins inherently good (bad example)...octopi, dogs, orangutans?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
pittmike wrote:
billypootons wrote:

Quote:

She says she saw and talked to her granddaughter about four days ago, and "she was OK."

I never understood why people had issues with this. If I were Hitler's father I would talk about a picture he painted for me and how misunderstood he was.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:20 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
are dolphins inherently good ?

They are inherently handsome, silver tongued gentlemen. The rest is learned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
are dolphins inherently good (bad example)...octopi, dogs, orangutans?

Am I really going to have this conversation with a Christian? :lol:

Maybe "good" isn't the right term. It suggests the existence of something like a soul. (I'm sure when Seacrest reads what I'm saying here he'll gotcha me.) Let's just say I don't believe people are born with an instinct to do harm to other people. Similarly to other animals. Dogs don't attack just for kicks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
are dolphins inherently good ?

They are inherently handsome, silver tongued gentlemen. The rest is learned

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:
billypootons wrote:

Quote:

I never understood why people had issues with this. If I were Hitler's father I would talk about a picture he painted for me and how misunderstood he was.

Sure, but it's often used as an excuse or as a way to soften public opinion of someone who has done something monstrous. I doubt there were many post-Holocaust articles on Hitler that dedicated a paragraph to his painting skills.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[ Dogs don't attack just for kicks.

they do if they want to fuck that bitch over there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm 

Hate crime charges filed:

Quote:
Hate crime charges have been filed against four people shown in a Facebook video attacking a mentally disabled man, cutting his scalp with a knife and punching him while yelling obscenities about Donald Trump and "white people."

Jordan Hill, 18, of Carpentersville, Tesfaye Cooper, 18, of Chicago, Brittany Covington, 18, of Chicago, and Tanishia Covington, 24, of Chicago were charged with aggravated kidnapping, hate crime, aggravated unlawful restraint and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

Hill also was charged with robbery, possession of a stolen motor vehicle and residential burglary, while Cooper and Brittany Covington were charged with residential burglary.

Sources said Hill attended the same school in the suburbs as the victim.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Quote:
The attackers on the video appear to be black and the man appears to be white, though police declined at a news conference Wednesday evening to give the race of the attackers or the victim. The attack appears to have taken place on the West Side.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said investigators believe the man was targeted because he had special needs, not because he was white.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
One pauses to wonder if the Trump-led DoJ will inject itself into this case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

I often hate people myself, but if I reflect on it logically, I have to come to the conclusion that people are basically good and circumstances/what they are taught causes them to do bad things. Otherwise, I think the world would be even more fucked up than it is.

You ever watch young kids interact? Some people are assholes and have to be taught not to be assholes or at the very least, there are consequences to your asshole behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

You ever watch young kids interact? Some people are assholes and have to be taught not to be assholes or at the very least, there are consequences to your asshole behavior.

Yeah, but I don't think they're inherently evil. They just need to be socialized. I think parents are too far up their kids' asses and jump into situations too quickly these days. Eventually the kids have to figure out how to work shit out for themselves. Of course, I'm not talking about a 100 lb. eight year old bullying a toddler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm 

Not all people are inherently good either. They should be taught right and wrong. Then then need to have consequences and be responsible for their behavior. I feel for the grandmother that made the statement but I don't agree with all of it and it's lacking a few things that I'd consider key points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
Not all people are inherently good either. They should be taught right and wrong. Then then need to have consequences and be responsible for their behavior. I feel for the grandmother that made the statement but I don't agree with all of it and it's lacking a few things that I'd consider key points.

I amended my statement above. I just mean that I don't think most people are naturally out to hurt others. Like most animals, I think the first instinct is to avoid conflicts rather than create them. I may have to think about this some more though, because in that case I'm not sure how to explain this board.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm 

I'd disagree. Some people are selfish, greedy, predatory, crazy, adrenaline junkies, create conflict and a whole list of other things. Not everybody has good motivations or intentions. Look at this situation and explain it to me thru your lens, because I don't see it.

Last edited by Spaulding on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
I'd disagree. Some people are selfish, greedy, predatory, crazy, adrenaline junkies, create conflict and a whole list of other things. Not everybody has good motivations or intentions.

I don't think they were born that way, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

You would be a Democrat based on today's article in the NYT today. The author opines that in general, Democrats believe people are born inherently good (and outside influences turn them bad) whereas Republicans view them as born evil and requiring enlightenment or being saved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/opini ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Police said never a question this was a hate crime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jbi11s wrote:

Not because of race . Because he's special needs. And the idiot spokesman last night sure as hell made it sound like there was doubt.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm 

EDIT: wrong thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
badrogue17 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Not because of race . Because he's special needs. And the idiot spokesman last night sure as hell made it sound like there was doubt.

Who cares, there are garbage. They should get life. For doing this to a person with reduced capacity and the fact that they targeted him for that reason. His race is secondary but based on the evidence should be taken into consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Turns out it was a hate crime after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I'd disagree. Some people are selfish, greedy, predatory, crazy, adrenaline junkies, create conflict and a whole list of other things. Not everybody has good motivations or intentions.

I don't think they were born that way, though.

So it's mostly nurture vs nature?

Jaw Breaker wrote:

You would be a Democrat based on today's article in the NYT today. The author opines that in general, Democrats believe people are born inherently good (and outside influences turn them bad) whereas Republicans view them as born evil and requiring enlightenment or being saved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/opini ... .html?_r=0

I don't care for that way of looking at things. It's so dumb how political things are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
The AG better not let these scum plea down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next