It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
This isn't a complaint because I don't give a shit what he said in his inauguration speech, but there's so much irony in all that he says, and yesterday was no different...

The juxtaposition of his democratic message that the power is coming "back to the people" with his monarchic message that he "will never, ever let you down" could, in the correct context and with the right person delivering the message, inspire a message of unity with Trump simply leading the way. But with Trump, it just comes off as contradictory and narcissistic, in my subjective interpretation. I'm sure any potential irony would be lost on him.

Again, it's not a complaint, and I wouldn't care, anyway. Just an observation.

#MAGA

That's kind of my point. MANY are simply predisposed to consider Trump the wrong guy. And he may be. But the way he is being covered and the way MANY are responding to his election seem irrational.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
This isn't a complaint because I don't give a shit what he said in his inauguration speech, but there's so much irony in all that he says, and yesterday was no different...

The juxtaposition of his democratic message that the power is coming "back to the people" with his monarchic message that he "will never, ever let you down" could, in the correct context and with the right person delivering the message, inspire a message of unity with Trump simply leading the way. But with Trump, it just comes off as contradictory and narcissistic, in my subjective interpretation. I'm sure any potential irony would be lost on him.

#MAGA

That's kind of my point. MANY are simply predisposed to consider Trump the wrong guy. And he may be. But the way he is being covered and the way MANY are responding to his election seem irrational.

And you don't think he played any role in that himself?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

#MAGA

Of course not. Everyonr is being unfair to him and he's done nothing wrong. We should just believe chas is a great guy that believes in unity. It's in his heart.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:07 pm 

JORR is the only non-biased one. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

Honestly, do you think Trump could say or do anything that you wouldn't criticize?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
they all seem to reinforce the point MANY are circling around but just can't find the balls to admit: stories are only "fake news" if they make Trump/conservatives look bad.

I think you meant Hillary/Democrats look bad.

Even when it's not fake news, the spin is obvious. Trump's inauguration is "clogging" the capitol. Obama's made it "pulse with history". This shit is unconscionable.

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/01/1 ... gurations/

I find it interesting that everybody who wants to criticize Trump in this thread completely ignored this.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If we keep saying Trump is "unprecedented" maybe it will become true. Granted, his speech had a somewhat negative tone and he talked about stuff he believes needs fixing rather than the standard upbeat "shining city on a hill" stuff that is de rigueur, but when Obama talked about "hope and change" wasn't that a criticism of what had come before? It's pretty much a suggestion that before him we were hopeless and a lot of bad shit needs to change. That's exactly the same thing Trump said albeit in a less polished way.

And attacking a news organization? Also "unprecedented!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-23W4BR-8

Trump and Obama's speeches were not comparable. Trump's was disrespectful and completely negative. Obama's was not. Your AP example was a really good one showing media bias. This is a very poor example.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Honestly, do you think Trump could say or do anything that you wouldn't criticize?

Absolutely. My thoughts on this message board are not all-encompassing. I just tend to fall against him in most conversations on this board because I generally dislike him and I generally disagree with those who defend him. I could probably list dozens of things that if Trump delivered on, I would be happy about and would give him credit for. Don't mistake me for a liberal who doesn't like the big, bad Conservative. I don't align like that, and that should be fairly obvious. I just don't like the guy or much of what he stands for.

That said, I'm not the one who ever said I wasn't biased. Do you think there's anything the media could criticize him for that you wouldn't say was biased?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:57 pm 

Jorr and leash are both hopelessly biased. It'll be a cold day in hell before leash gives Trump sincere credit for anything or before jorr agrees with a criticism of Trump without adding a "But, ....." the following paragraph.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Jorr and leash are both hopelessly biased. It'll be a cold day in hell before leash gives Trump sincere credit for anything or before jorr agrees with a criticism of Trump without adding a "But, ....." the following paragraph.

All of us are biased about everything by definition.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:04 pm 

leash in October in reference to CNN wrote:
All that said, I can't condone what they're doing. They've become a 24-hour, nonstop Trump bashing machine. All they do is interview his accusers and play that video over and over. I despise Trump and do think he is a true threat to our Democracy, but I can't condone any media outlet becoming so one-sided (not that CNN is the first, but they used to be the one of the "big 3" that was in the middle).

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102723&hilit=CNN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
they all seem to reinforce the point MANY are circling around but just can't find the balls to admit: stories are only "fake news" if they make Trump/conservatives look bad.

Even when it's not fake news, the spin is obvious. Trump's inauguration is "clogging" the capitol. Obama's made it "pulse with history". This shit is unconscionable.

I find it interesting that everybody who wants to criticize Trump in this thread completely ignored this.

See, I agree this is biased. There's no argument otherwise. But that doesn't mean everything is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

See, I agree this is biased. There's no argument otherwise. But that doesn't mean everything is.

I'm not sure JORR is saying everything is. But if the AP is then it's clear the problem is a big one.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:13 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

All of us are biased about everything by definition.

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So everyone and everything is biased, or no?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm not sure JORR is saying everything is. But if the AP is then it's clear the problem is a big one.

There are tons of legitimate criticisms of Trump. He lies like a motherfucker all the time. But the reader/viewer should be mindful of how the general dislike for Trump by the media is influencing coverage.

But take the King bust thing for example. The guy from Time found it easy to believe. He wanted to believe it. So he hastily tweeted fake news. Sure, he apologized, after a bunch of other "reporters" spread the lie. And now there are MANY people who believe Trump had King's bust removed. And others who say, "Well, It doesn't matter that he didn't. I'm sure he wants to."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:22 pm 

I agree.

To be fair, I think part of the problem is Trump is such an outlandish person that it becomes pretty easy to spread fake news about him. I mean, if I saw the headline "Trump vows to send ground troops into China within six months" I would think it was fake, but I'd still feel obligated to make sure.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:22 pm 

@FF

Yes, everyone is biased about everything, unless you feel that we all experience an identical perception of reality. And even then, we've all led different lives that skew our perceptions.

My point in agreeing with the bias of the AP is that it is egregious bias that wasn't even attempting to limit itself.

Are you really telling me you couldn't have made that inference on your own? You're smarter than that.

Are

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There are tons of legitimate criticisms of Trump. He lies like a motherfucker all the time. But the reader/viewer should be mindful of how the general dislike for Trump by the media is influencing coverage.

But take the King bust thing for example. The guy from Time found it easy to believe. He wanted to believe it. So he hastily tweeted fake news. Sure, he apologized, after a bunch of other "reporters" spread the lie. And now there are MANY people who believe Trump had King's bust removed. And others who say, "Well, It doesn't matter that he didn't. I'm sure he wants to."

Just admit you love him and we can move on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:27 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
@FF

Yes, everyone is biased about everything, unless you feel that we all experience an identical perception of reality. And even then, we've all led different lives that skew our perceptions.

My point in agreeing with the bias of the AP is that it is egregious bias that wasn't even attempting to limit itself.

Are you really telling me you couldn't have made that inference on your own? You're smarter than that.

Are

It's the same inference you should have made originally when responding that everyone is biased.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
@FF

Are

It's the same inference you should have made originally when responding that everyone is biased.

That's a good point, actually. You got me. Everybody gets lucky now and then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:34 pm 

Apology accepted.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If we keep saying Trump is "unprecedented" maybe it will become true. Granted, his speech had a somewhat negative tone and he talked about stuff he believes needs fixing rather than the standard upbeat "shining city on a hill" stuff that is de rigueur, but when Obama talked about "hope and change" wasn't that a criticism of what had come before? It's pretty much a suggestion that before him we were hopeless and a lot of bad shit needs to change. That's exactly the same thing Trump said albeit in a less polished way.

Trump and Obama's speeches were not comparable. Trump's was disrespectful and completely negative. Obama's was not. Your AP example was a really good one showing media bias. This is a very poor example.

Why do you think it was any more disrespectful than Obama insisting we need hope and change? It's just a different way of saying Bush sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:53 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Why do you think it was any more disrespectful than Obama insisting we need hope and change? It's just a different way of saying Bush sucks.

Because I watched both speeches and that's the unbiased way of viewing it. Words have meanings. I would think you, more than most, would appreciate that. Obama's speech called for change but it never went negative and he never disrespected Bush. Trump directly disrespected Obama and the job he did. There was a noticeable difference. If you can't see that you may not be the unbiased observer you believe yourself to be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

#MAGA

Of course. But here's the thing- and either the media will come to terms with it or they won't- Trump talks the way you and I are talking here. Sometimes we say dumb stuff and later try to clarify or admit that it was dumb. Trump tends to just gaslight and pretend he never said it. John McWhorter said that what is so jarring about Trump is that we are used to presidents "Speaking", meaning their words are measured and carry a certain weight, whereas Trump "talks", meaning he just says what he's thinking at the time like FavreFan and LTG discussing hoops.

From things you've written I get the impression you believe that president shouldn't "talk" in that way. Maybe you're right and the office demands a certain dignity that cannot be achieved by talking like a regular guy. But McWhorter also points out that there has been a gradual casualness to the behavior of president over a long period of time. Remember when Bill Clinton played his saxophone on Arsenio? That would have been unheard of for Eisenhower. But even the relatively buttoned down Nixon said, "Sock it to me!" on Laugh In. It's similar to the increasing casualness we find acceptable in air travel. I'm on a small island with my sport coat. That didn't happen overnight. Does anyone "dress for dinner" anymore? On those days when I wear a suit and tie, I'm almost certainly the only guy on my El car dressed that way. With Trump it seems we have reached an apex of casualness and off the cuff tweeting and talking by the president.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Because I watched both speeches and that's the unbiased way of viewing it. Words have meanings. I would think you, more than most, would appreciate that. Obama's speech called for change but it never went negative and he never disrespected Bush. Trump directly disrespected Obama and the job he did. There was a noticeable difference. If you can't see that you may not be the unbiased observer you believe yourself to be.

Words do have meanings. I said that Trump's speech hit more negative notes than a "normal" inaugural address, but the meaning is the same. Every candidate pretty much runs on changing something. I think running on "hope and change" is just as "disrespectful" of Bush as Trump was of Obama. But I wouldn't really use the word "disrespectful". It's politics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I think we've had this conversation before a couple times and actually agree for the most part. Then some story gets published and we end up regurgitating the same arguments :lol:

To what's been said above I'd add that there are objective metrics out there to demonstrate the degree of Trump's mendacity. So since stories have to correct the record at times that whole process creates the impression of "negative coverage" when in fact a great deal of stories that are critical of Trump are critical because they are simply correcting the record. That does not mean stories dont arbitrarily take shots at Trump as jorr demonstrated, though I think it's more egregious when CNN or the the WaPo does it than someone like...Jezebel or HuffPo.

I agree with FF's take on the speech and I think you can objectively prove it was negative. I wouldn't say it singled out Obama but rather singled out every single politician on that stage, including the presidents. That's basically in line with the anti establishment tenor of the campaign. That Trump has populated his cabinet with establishment individuals is another story, but the rhetoric is consistent with the gloom and doom type feeling of his campaign.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

Last edited by veganfan21 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Words do have meanings. I said that Trump's speech hit more negative notes than a "normal" inaugural address, but the meaning is the same. Every candidate pretty much runs on changing something. I think running on "hope and change" is just as "disrespectful" of Bush as Trump was of Obama. But I wouldn't really use the word "disrespectful". It's politics.

I simply don't see how you can't see the differences between the two speeches. That's that bias thing coming into play.

If you and I have a business and you tell an employee "try to be a little more detailed the next time you type a report" and I say "that report was one of the most pathetic things I've ever read you moron. Stop being such a loser and do a better job." We didn't really say the same thing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I simply don't see how you can't see the differences between the two speeches. That's that bias thing coming into play.

If you and I have a business and you tell an employee "try to be a little more detailed the next time you type a report" and I say "that report was one of the most pathetic things I've ever read you moron. Stop being such a loser and do a better job." We didn't really say the same thing.

They're different in tone, but not in content. The content in just about every one boils down to, "These other fucks were doing it wrong. I'm gonna do it right. Thank you for voting for me."

I would have considered it disrespectful if Trump had stood up there in front of Obama and discussed how he was going to dismantle Obamacare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next