It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Otto Warmbier
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
I don't know why we have to choose a side.

Should we bomb North Korea to ashes? Yes.

Is this kid a fucking moron who was asking for it? Yes.

I don't find this offensive coming from you. In fact, I pretty much agree with the sentiment, though I'd say "asking for it" is a bit much. But I think it's fair to say the same thing about a woman who gets shitty at a frat party and gets raped. Saying she did something dumb doesn't absolve the rapist. However, such a thought is anathema to the social justice left which is why I find the take by many of them in this case to be so offensive.

It is not fair to say.

Why not?

North Korea will fuck you, a frat guy might fuck you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Bombing and killing citizens of foreign countries is never really a big deal. The outrage here is proof of that.

You just make things up don't you?

If this place were really outraged by it then I would be. Your response is illustrative of what I am referencing. Rather than focus on the topic at hand you choose to focus on me. I unlike you have the facts on my side. Its a bastard when that happens isn't it?

You said it is never a big deal. That's absolutely made up. I can prove at least one time it was a big deal. Do you think I cannot?

If you think it were a big deal then the United States would have stopped the practice years ago. THere hasn't been real outrage because if there were people wouldn't be accused of being apologists simply for looking at the opposite side of the issue. I never hear you calling for an end to the practice either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm 

I am against the killing of innocent civilians in other countries and in our own. Did you think I felt otherwise?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I am against the killing of innocent civilians in other countries and in our own. Did you think I felt otherwise?

I haven't heard a lot of angst from you about it. I will take your word for it. My point is that we need to look at the bombing of these countries whenever we rail against terrorism. There is a direct correlation. Antipathy towards the U.S. is based on policy not culture or religion. History supports this too.

Whenever people talk about "attacks against America" It's laughable and also insulting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I haven't heard a lot of angst from you about it. I will take your word for it. My point is that we need to look at the bombing of these countries whenever we rail against terrorism. There is a direct correlation. Antipathy towards the U.S. is based on policy not culture or religion. History supports this too.

Whenever people talk about "attacks against America" It's laughable and also insulting.

I hardly think anyone complaining in this thread gave 2 shits when we killed thousands of civilians via drone strikes. The Dems were silent because it was Obama doing it and the Republicans were silent because they supported the strikes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I hardly think anyone complaining in this thread gave 2 shits when we killed thousands of civilians via drone strikes. The Dems were silent because it was Obama doing it and the Republicans were silent because they supported the strikes.

Yep. The spin about Muslims wanting to kill Americans with every dying breath falls flat once you begin to tally the number of military deployments located inside Muslim countries. Yeah they really are on the attack aren't they?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I cant agree with that statement.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I would love to hear Ogie's thoughts on Israel, a country that has a lot in common with North Korea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
third party estimates put civilian deaths from drone strikes at about 500 over 6 years.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/05/do- ... asualties/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm 

America wrote:
I would love to hear Ogie's thoughts on Israel, a country that has a lot in common with North Korea.

:roll:

That's not even worthy of a response. Now go back to ripping off people via Uber.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:

That's not even worthy of a response. Now go back to ripping off people via Uber.

Right. Because if out-of-control human rights abuses are your thing Israel is the place to go.

honestly, the US and Europe could learn a thing or two from them about keeping the fucking Muslims out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yep. The spin about Muslims wanting to kill Americans with every dying breath falls flat once you begin to tally the number of military deployments located inside Muslim countries. Yeah they really are on the attack aren't they?

It's such a tired argument, and not even relevant to the thread at all. Why are the Muslims the only ones committing terrorist acts if intervention in their countries is the sole criteria to justify terrorism?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:47 pm 

America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:

Right. Because if out-of-control human rights abuses are your thing Israel is the place to go.

honestly, the US and Europe could learn a thing or two from them about keeping the fucking Muslims out.

I think you have the wrong ideas on Israel. It's a democracy with a free press and freedom of religion. You view on the human rights abuses is heavily distorted. Israel has problems, they are working on them though, but I can at least say Israel (unlike the US) faces a direct existential threat that can justify some of the unsavory things they do.

I can at least sleep well knowing Israel has made proper overtures for peace, and maybe one day the Palestinians will have their own Sadat so that peaces can occur. As of now, they've had nothing but thieves running the PA who rob the aid treasuries to enrich themselves. They reject every fair offer without so much as a counter-offer as they need to be stateless to keep their scam going to rob from UNRWA. Eventually the Palestinians will get fed up with the corruption of their leadership and a Sadat will step forward. On that day there will be peace.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
third party estimates put civilian deaths from drone strikes at about 500 over 6 years.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/05/do- ... asualties/

So at about 1/8 of just the people who died on 9/11.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:51 pm 

America wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
I didn't initially mention the kid's race, gender or political affiliation, just that he picked a dumb jump off point for this entire matter. I am/was irritated by those ginning up the outrage of others, be it for politics, profit or other cynical reasons.

Privilege is a dog whistle for those terms and everyone knows it. We get it, you're happy a white kid got tortured to death by North Korea.

Wrong on both counts, but it's not surprising given your posting history. Privilege means money until it doesn't in my book and I could give less than a damn about the race of any goofy kid killed by an asshole of any stripe.

Imo, you should think less about posting in your areas of extreme ignorance

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The problem is that most of the terrorist attacks these days aren't even attempted against us. It's now them vs. virtually everyone including some other Muslim groups.

If it is about America and our actions why are they destroying historical sites and artifacts in huge numbers?

I mean, given that I believe you don't even think Israel has a right to exist I'm pretty sure that you aren't exactly the most neutral observer to this either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The problem is that most of the terrorist attacks these days aren't even attempted against us. It's now them vs. virtually everyone including some other Muslim groups.

If it is about America and our actions why are they destroying historical sites and artifacts in huge numbers?

I mean, given that I believe you don't even think Israel has a right to exist I'm pretty sure that you aren't exactly the most neutral observer to this either.

I would argue that most of the terrorism (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc.) is all geopolitics with the terrorist groups using the religion as a recruiting tool.

As it stands, the Gulf states are propping up Sunni terror groups (Nusra) to fight Shiites and the Iranians are propping up Shiite terror groups (Hezbollah) to fight Sunnis.

Religion just recruits the foot soldiers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I think you have the wrong ideas on Israel. It's a democracy with a free press and freedom of religion. You view on the human rights abuses is heavily distorted. Israel has problems, they are working on them though, but I can at least say Israel (unlike the US) faces a direct existential threat that can justify some of the unsavory things they do.

I can at least sleep well knowing Israel has made proper overtures for peace, and maybe one day the Palestinians will have their own Sadat so that peaces can occur. As of now, they've had nothing but thieves running the PA who rob the aid treasuries to enrich themselves. They reject every fair offer without so much as a counter-offer as they need to be stateless to keep their scam going to rob from UNRWA. Eventually the Palestinians will get fed up with the corruption of their leadership and a Sadat will step forward. On that day there will be peace.

:lol: You really cannot keep your shit straight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I would argue that most of the terrorism (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc.) is all geopolitics

It would be difficult for a religion that demands the establishment of a worldwide Caliphate to ignore geopolitics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 pm 

America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I think this conflict and the factors/history are well above your level of understanding. I'd suggest traveling to the MidEast if you ever get a chance. You might learn a thing or two.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I would argue that most of the terrorism (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc.) is all geopolitics

It would be difficult for a religion that demands the establishment of a worldwide Caliphate to ignore geopolitics.

I would argue that the terror groups themselves aren't the real players here, but their state sponsors are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

If you believe you have been granted the ultimate truth, and that this life if a practice run, how can you separate that from your decision making here? It's absurd to say, the religious beliefs are secondary.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I would argue that the terror groups themselves aren't the real players here, but their state sponsors are.

Who was the state sponsor of Al Queda?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I think this conflict and the factors/history are well above your level of understanding. I'd suggest traveling to the MidEast if you ever get a chance. You might learn a thing or two.

I'm sure you'll get the unvarnished truth living in a country that literally put up a massive wall around itself. I dont need to live in Israel to know how they operate, enough has been written on that already.

You hate the police, but seem to love police-states.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:12 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Saudi Arabia.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:22 pm 

America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm sure you'll get the unvarnished truth living in a country that literally put up a massive wall around itself. I dont need to live in Israel to know how they operate, enough has been written on that already.

You realize Israel doesn't have a wall around itself, right? Border with Egypt has no barrier (except around Eilat and that was due to Eritrean and Sudanese migrants crossing from Egypt rather than security threats). Jordanian border is wide open in the Arava Valley. They have a security barrier in built up areas, but that concrete fence you see on the news only exists in very built up areas. Most areas of the West Bank have no security fence, but once again you don't know any of that because you're completely ignorant and unprepared to discuss this topic.

Israel is hardly a police state and if you spent just 24 hours there you would see that. Your ignorance is showing through here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:23 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's such a tired argument, and not even relevant to the thread at all. Why are the Muslims the only ones committing terrorist acts if intervention in their countries is the sole criteria to justify terrorism?

They aren't. When we bomb countries without provocation we are just as guilty of committing acts of terrorism. It is not "breaking news" in the U.S when we commit such acts and it's a simple reason for it. It's wrong and News organizations are instructed not to report about it. Definitely not subjected to wall to wall coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:24 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Qatar, and Afghanistan (pre 2001 war) were state sponsors.

Even when some of those countries cut ties (Saudia Arabia for example), their ruling class doesn't and continues to funnel funds an material support for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Qatar, and Afghanistan (pre 2001 war) were state sponsors.

Even when some of those countries cut ties (Saudia Arabia for example), their ruling class doesn't and continues to funnel funds an material support for them.

Correct. It wasn't exactly an accident that Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan either.

U.S. hypocrisy with regards to state sponsors is another in a long list of bones of contentions too. There is all this vitriol regarding religion and terrorism. State sponsors of terrorism who happen to allied are provided with the proverbial free pass each and every time however.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:30 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You realize Israel doesn't have a wall around itself, right? Border with Egypt has no barrier (except around Eilat and that was due to Eritrean and Sudanese migrants crossing from Egypt rather than security threats). Jordanian border is wide open in the Arava Valley. They have a security barrier in built up areas, but that concrete fence you see on the news only exists in very built up areas. Most areas of the West Bank have no security fence, but once again you don't know any of that because you're completely ignorant and unprepared to discuss this topic.

Israel is hardly a police state and if you spent just 24 hours there you would see that. Your ignorance is showing through here.

Isreal doesn't have a wall, except for all these walls they have. You did a very good job explaining the few places along the Israeli border that aren't walled up though. You even let it slip that you know what its called (security fence), which kind of leads me to believe you know exactly what I'm talking about.

And why doesn't Israel do its part to accept refugees from Eritrea and Sudan...you said yourself that they aren't security threats.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next