It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
I see ... so activity = accomplishment then. Sounds great.
What does that mean? Chicago/Cook County is in a dire financial situation as many point out. Taxes need to be raised. Where would you raise them?

Quote:
Chicago/Cook County is in a dire financial situation as many point out.

Agreed

Quote:
Taxes need to be raised.

No, more cuts are needed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denisdman wrote:
My recollection on IL car purchases is that the state passed a specific law to avoid people buying outside their home county to lower their sales tax bill. Even when we buy in Cook, we still pay the Kane rate. Cars are the only purchase where that occurs.

It's like that in most jurisdictions. It generally has to deal with the title issuing county and the title is issued in the county in which you reside. I bought a car earlier this year and the tax was paid to the county clerk when registering the car.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 pm 

denisdman wrote:
My recollection on IL car purchases is that the state passed a specific law to avoid people buying outside their home county to lower their sales tax bill. Even when we buy in Cook, we still pay the Kane rate. Cars are the only purchase where that occurs.

Yep. Got nailed last year on a car purchase. Almost took the sales tax deductible because of that vs income. It was close!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
What does that mean? Chicago/Cook County is in a dire financial situation as many point out. Taxes need to be raised. Where would you raise them?

2% tax on income. Raise the general sales tax by 5 percentage points. Increase the County property tax levy by 10% each year for the next 5. Just keep taking until there's nothing left. It's all the government's money anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yep. Got nailed last year on a car purchase. Almost took the sales tax deductible because of that vs income. It was close!

Well that just means you're not at AMT level$ of income. They take away those deductions......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
a bunch of people in orland township just had their assessments hiked by crazy amounts too just this week... really going to be a shitstorm of anger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:21 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
You would assume wrong in this case. The tax you pay for most goods is the tax at the point of sale. The only reason car sales are different is that your car registration often is dependent upon your county as the county clerk usually handles the title.
So the simple answer here seems to make it also a "use tax" and then it's ok? It seems strange that they wouldn't have put that in there at the start though. It would only be illegal to resell it otherwise.

Good luck getting that one to stand in court. The law as is barely survived court challenges.
If it passed the court though, you'd have to think that was good right? You cited the fact that people will go in droves to get their sugar water in neighboring counties. This would limit that.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

or perhaps you can look at the other side of the balance sheet and cut spending to fix the fiscal hell hole. I know Democrats have trouble with that concept.
There is no possible way that you can make enough cuts to get out of the financial mess without raising taxes. It's just not possible. Of course some things need to be cut with a tax hike but that is the only solution.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Well that just means you're not at AMT level$ of income. They take away those deductions......

I'm not going to claim to know as much as you on this subject, but my main problem was, I didn't have the necessary receipts/documented if I ever got audited. Now, I'm syncing my bank records with Mint every month. If I had to produce the report I could. But it was like 3 grand in pure tax i paid on a car purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
You would assume wrong in this case. The tax you pay for most goods is the tax at the point of sale. The only reason car sales are different is that your car registration often is dependent upon your county as the county clerk usually handles the title.
So the simple answer here seems to make it also a "use tax" and then it's ok? It seems strange that they wouldn't have put that in there at the start though. It would only be illegal to resell it otherwise.

Good luck getting that one to stand in court. The law as is barely survived court challenges.
If it passed the court though, you'd have to think that was good right? You cited the fact that people will go in droves to get their sugar water in neighboring counties. This would limit that.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

or perhaps you can look at the other side of the balance sheet and cut spending to fix the fiscal hell hole. I know Democrats have trouble with that concept.
There is no possible way that you can make enough cuts to get out of the financial mess without raising taxes. It's just not possible. Of course some things need to be cut with a tax hike but that is the only solution.

If you were to charge soda tax based upon county of residence, the court would throw out the tax. There is no circumstance where such a tax would hold up in court. Colorado for example can't even check residency at a dispensary (they can only card for age as they would with cigs or alcohol). So imagine how that would be done on every grocery trip. Courts would not allow it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:25 pm 

denisdman wrote:

That sounds like a Puff Daddy lyric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:26 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you were to charge soda tax based upon county of residence, the court would throw out the tax. There is no circumstance where such a tax would hold up in court. Colorado for example can't even check residency at a dispensary. So imagine how that would be done on every grocery trip. Courts would not allow it.
Let's assume you could. The tax is ok then since it isn't costing Chicago tax dollars? I know your answer already and the whole point is to show the mention of "people will smuggle it in" is just an excuse because people don't like the tax.

Let's take it a step further and say that it becomes a nationwide law. Is it bad? Sugar water smuggling would be much harder as I'm not driving to Windsor, Canada for my sugar water.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The pods thing would not work. What is happening is this. The distributors (Coke, Pepsi, AC Barr (GO BEARS RC DIET RITE!) are charging the shops and restaurants the tax on their delivered product. The businesses are then charging the customers the tax to reimburse themselves for the tax they already paid. It would all be done be address, and even if you bought the stuff somewheres else, the Gubment would catch up to you at some point, and thus charge your tax.

As shitty as it is for the consumers, the restaurants and stores got fucked even worse. Whenever the tax went into place, they were charged tax on the beverages they already had in stock! This includes BIBs as well as cans, bottles, gallons, etc.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you were to charge soda tax based upon county of residence, the court would throw out the tax. There is no circumstance where such a tax would hold up in court. Colorado for example can't even check residency at a dispensary. So imagine how that would be done on every grocery trip. Courts would not allow it.
Let's assume you could. The tax is ok then since it isn't costing Chicago tax dollars? I know your answer already and the whole point is to show the mention of "people will smuggle it in" is just an excuse because people don't like the tax.

Let's take it a step further and say that it becomes a nationwide law. Is it bad? Sugar water smuggling would be much harder as I'm not driving to Windsor, Canada for my sugar water.

it's a pointless exercise as we both know it would not hold up in court.

second, this tax is not good. When you have the county with the highest taxes in the country and still can't balance your budget, it is clear that more taxation is not your solution, but rather a decrease on the spending side of your budget is. More taxation is just ignoring the problem and pushing the fiscal time bomb onto the next county president.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:30 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The pods thing would not work. What is happening is this. The distributors (Coke, Pepsi, AC Barr (GO BEARS RC DIET RITE!) are charging the shops and restaurants the tax on their delivered product. The businesses are then charging the customers the tax to reimburse themselves for the tax they already paid. It would all be done be address, and even if you bought the stuff somewheres else, the Gubment would catch up to you at some point, and thus charge your tax.

As shitty as it is for the consumers, the restaurants and stores got fucked even worse. Whenever the tax went into place, they were charged tax on the beverages they already had in stock! This includes BIBs as well as cans, bottles, gallons, etc.

IF you're doing the pods on the north or west side of the county line and your address is DuPage, Lake, etc. you can do it. You aren't charged the tax on delivery then. The idea is you position yourself just outside of Cook County and do business/sell from there to people willing to drive a few extra minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

second, this tax is not good. When you have the county with the highest taxes in the country and still can't balance your budget, it is clear that more taxation is not your solution, but rather a decrease on the spending side of your budget is. More taxation is just ignoring the problem and pushing the fiscal time bomb onto the next county president.
Use taxes have been able to stand up in court and have only gotten stronger in the age of the internet. The specifics on how it would be done are for people much more versed in the law than us.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I haven't said it yet but have been meaning to- I'm glad you're around again. Hope your job is going well.

As for lyrics, I don't anything about music.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:37 pm 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I haven't said it yet but have been meaning to- I'm glad you're around again. Hope your job is going well.

As for lyrics, I don't anything about music.

Thank you. Job is going well. Still here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
All this over some damn HFCS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm 

We're going to look at sugar in 30 years like we do tobacco today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The pods thing would not work.

Yeah, you overload your inventory and you blow your margins on gasoline. Trust me, it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Use taxes have been able to stand up in court and have only gotten stronger in the age of the internet. The specifics on how it would be done are for people much more versed in the law than us.

They don't stand up in cases where the goods were sold in person.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Then don't use it. Just don't police the actions of others.

This country overthrew a fucking empire over a tax on tea. Perhaps the people of Cook County can do the same to their wretched county government

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they could. etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This country overthrew a fucking empire over a tax on tea. Perhaps the people of Cook County can do the same to their wretched county government

BRICK is the fat kid that Ron Paul took to school on the Morton Downy show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi1nxu-Sy-w

Last edited by Caller Bob on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they could. etc.

If Illinois did such a thing, then Lake County Indiana would probably not play ball and would allow people around it. Heck, it would be great for Hammond.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:46 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

BRICK is the fat kid that Ron Paul took to school on the Morton Downy show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM

I love that man. His son just isn't living up to the family name.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:46 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If Illinois did such a thing, then Lake County Indiana would probably not play ball and would allow people around it. Heck, it would be great for Hammond.

Let's assume they did

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they did

Why would they? They would not benefit as they would pretty much be collecting taxes for another county at their own expense. There is no win-win here. They would be retarding the growth of their own retail as it would take away incentive to shop there.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they did

:lol:

Ogie, we're making fun of BRick at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:48 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they did

Why would they? They would not benefit as they would pretty much be collecting taxes for another county at their own expense. There is no win-win here. They would be retarding the growth of their own retail.

Let's assume they did benefit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next