It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Friend of mine posted on FB today. $2.88 tax on a $5.99 case of Sprite. That blows for those not able to go to the collars.

They should move, and I'm not even posting that as a joke.

Between this, the income tax increase, etc. I will laugh when Illinois breaks 50,000 people moving out of the state this year or next.

I don't buy cans or 2-liters of pop. But when I get a pop at Panera, Roti or something I usually get a coke zero. That stuff is poison. I'm glad Cook County is watching out for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Jbi11s wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
A great tax.

I will buy less pop because of this.

Thanks Cook County!

Now if they could tax chips then I'll be well on my way to clean eating.

^when you're such a child that you need the nanny state to step in because you have no self control.

Soda addiction is a real deal problem. It was hard for me to give up the sugary sweetness, but I'm glad I did like 6 years ago. Lost weight, and felt better immediately.

I gave up soda last year in favor of unsweetened ice tea (which is ironically taxed if I lived in Cook County). This isn't about soda as it taxes many drinks, including some with neither sugar nor artificial sweeteners.

I'd love to hear the health nazis tell me why unsweetened ice tea should be taxed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
A great tax.

Thanks Cook County!

^when you're such a child that you need the nanny state to step in because you have no self control.

Soda addiction is a real deal problem. It was hard for me to give up the sugary sweetness, but I'm glad I did like 6 years ago. Lost weight, and felt better immediately.

Yup, exactly Jbills. That sugar water shit is no bueno.

I have like 5-7 pops a week and I feel shame.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Business idea....open up a huge express stand to sell soda(like those old school Cigarette walkup stands) right on the other side of cook county, like Elmurst. People can drive right up, pay and get cases loaded in their car.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Friend of mine posted on FB today. $2.88 tax on a $5.99 case of Sprite. That blows for those not able to go to the collars.

They should move, and I'm not even posting that as a joke.

Between this, the income tax increase, etc. I will laugh when Illinois breaks 50,000 people moving out of the state this year or next.

I don't buy cans or 2-liters of pop. But when I get a pop at Panera, Roti or something I usually get a coke zero. That stuff is poison. I'm glad Cook County is watching out for me.

Yeah I'm sure they are looking out for you. That's why SNAP purchases are not taxed.

If you like giving money to your County government, more power to you.

Caller Bob wrote:
Business idea....open up a huge express stand to sell soda(like those old school Cigarette walkup stands) right on the other side of cook county, like Elmurst. People can drive right up, pay and get cases loaded in their car.

^this will probably happen and kudos to those opening such businesses.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
A great tax.

Thanks Cook County!

I gave up soda last year in favor of unsweetened ice tea (which is ironically taxed if I lived in Cook County). This isn't about soda as it taxes many drinks, including some with neither sugar nor artificial sweeteners.

I'd love to hear the health nazis tell me why unsweetened ice tea should be taxed.

Your unsweetened tea is not taxed. Stop being a drama queen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:23 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yeah, you would need just to lease a lot..and then maybe like an old used trailer. No brick and mortar setup. Minimal overhead. You can start banking right away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
A great tax.

Thanks Cook County!

Your unsweetened tea is not taxed. Stop being a drama queen.

Well *mine* isn't because I live out of county/state, but I have seen that the Arizona unsweetened ice tea I purchase by the gallon is on the list

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yeah, you would need just to lease a lot..and then maybe like an old used trailer. No brick and mortar setup. Minimal overhead. You can start banking right away.

You'd barely have to do any paid marketing either

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I am surprised they will not do what they did when Chicago raised sales tax and made car dealers charge you tax where you lived not where you bought.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Ok, let's keep going with this

The cigarette stand worked because you could have 1000 packs of cigarettes in a small stand. How many cases of pop can you have in a small place? The storage alone would make it the size of a gas station...which are already conveniently located....right on the county line.

Good job guys. You invented gas station mini marts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 am 

No offense, but those of you "praising" this because it's good for people should just go fucking kill yourself. It's called free will. Yes Soda is terrible. It's up you as an individual to limit consumption and take control of your own lifestyle. It's not the government's domain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 am 

pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I am surprised they will not do what they did when Chicago raised sales tax and made car dealers charge you tax where you lived not where you bought.

You can do that for cars as with a car purchase you pay the tax when you register your car (which requires proof of address often).

You can't feasibly do that for a soda purchase.

pizza_Place: Milano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

dangerous levels of caffeine

pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

holy shit, if they added proof of address to the lottery/cigarette/pop line in these places, i may actually murder someone

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Well *mine* isn't because I live out of county/state, but I have seen that the Arizona unsweetened ice tea I purchase by the gallon is on the list

No sweeteners = untaxed.

Either you misread or your tea has a sweetener.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The cigarette stand worked because you could have 1000 packs of cigarettes in a small stand. How many cases of pop can you have in a small place? The storage alone would make it the size of a gas station...which are already conveniently located....right on the county line.

Rather this would be a mini C-store. You require far less real estate than a gas station does as you don't have filling stations. You can do this on the cheap without a permanent structure. Kind of like the pop-up firework stands you see in Indiana in early summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

1) My stand, I guarantee you I could undercut whatever a gas station charges on a case of pop. Who buy cases of pop from a gas mini mart? Nobody, the prices are insane.

2) You won't have to get out of your car. Drive up line. Place your order, pay, loaded in your vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am 

Do Cigarette stands even exist anymore? I havent seen one in a long time. Gas stations suck up all this regional avoid the tax business

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No sweeteners = untaxed.

They consier the addition of Ginseng (100% natural and not a sweetener) to be a sweetener. no joke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

1) My stand, I guarantee you I could undercut whatever a gas station charges on a case of pop. Who buy cases of pop from a gas mini mart? Nobody, the prices are insane.

2) You won't have to get out of your car. Drive up line. Place your order, pay, loaded in your vehicle.

1) You think the gas stations wont take advantage of this tax and have constant "sales" on pop?

2) Where do you store the pop? You need quite a bit of room for that

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No sweeteners = untaxed.

They consier the addition of Ginseng (100% natural and not a sweetener) to be a sweetener. no joke

boy i hope whoever it was that had all that ginseng sold it before the tax went into affect, that's gonna eat up all the profits

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No sweeteners = untaxed.

Reents is going to make some big bucks now. I'm surprised he hasn't opened a sweet tea stand on the Cook Country border.

rogers park bryan wrote:

2) Where do you store the pop? You need quite a bit of room for that

I'm going to ask Leash if I can use his garage.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No sweeteners = untaxed.

I sing a song from Sing-Sing, sipping on ginseng
Righteous wax chaperon, rotating ring kings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I bought a 6 pack of Pure Leaf Unsweetened this morning in Glenview. No additional tax levied...I was looking for it, but even the tax listed on the receipt was the same $0.15 that was listed last week when I bought it, too. I was keeping an eye, too, considering the ingredient list is Brewed Tea and Citric Acid. Nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am 

You could just rent one of those mobile storage units, and store the soda in that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
rogers park bryan wrote:
Do Cigarette stands even exist anymore? I havent seen one in a long time. Gas stations suck up all this regional avoid the tax business

Yeah, there's one next to a Shell station in Gages Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 am 

I think the cigarette taxation had a strong effect and pushed a lot of people to quit.

Score one for the nanny state there I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next