It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If Illinois did such a thing, then Lake County Indiana would probably not play ball and would allow people around it. Heck, it would be great for Hammond.

Let's assume they did

Why would they? They would not benefit as they would pretty much be collecting taxes for another county at their own expense. There is no win-win here. They would be retarding the growth of their own retail.

Let's assume they did benefit

How would they though? They benefit greatly from cross-state commerce an this would end the incentive Illinois buyers have for going over there.

This entire concept is absurd when we deconstruct it.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
They don't stand up in cases where the goods were sold in person.
Tell the state of Illinois that then.
http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Individuals/FAQs-Use-Tax.htm
Quote:
What are the Illinois Use Tax rates?
Illinois Use Tax rates are 6.25 percent of the purchase price of general merchandise and 1.00 percent of the purchase price of qualifying food, drugs, and medical appliances.
The 1.00 percent rate applies to
food that has not been prepared for immediate consumption (such as most food sold in grocery stores, excluding hot foods, alcoholic beverages, candy, and soft drinks),
prescription medicines and nonprescription items that claim to have medicinal value (such as aspirin and cough medicine, excluding nonprescription grooming and hygiene products), and
medical appliances that replace a malfunctioning part of the human body (such as wheel chairs and hearing aids).

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
:lol:

Poor Ogie.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
We're going to look at sugar in 30 years like we do tobacco today.

Then don't use it. Just don't police the actions of others.

This country overthrew a fucking empire over a tax on tea. Perhaps the people of Cook County can do the same to their wretched county government

BRICK is the fat kid that Ron Paul took to school on the Morton Downy show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM

I love that man. His son just isn't living up to the family name.

BRICK, who bashes Bernie Sanders every chance he gets, is promoting Government oversight over our consumption habits along with excess taxation. #Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If Illinois did such a thing, then Lake County Indiana would probably not play ball and would allow people around it. Heck, it would be great for Hammond.

Let's assume they did

Ogie, we're making fun of BRick at the moment.
You may want to read up on Illinois Use Tax law before you get cocky that I'm the one looking foolish here. I mean, at least use google prior to being condescending. It can save you embarrassment.

pizza_Place: giordanos
Don Tiny wrote:

That is the exact pic my friend put up on FB. :lol:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they did

You may want to read up on Illinois Use Tax law before you get cocky that I'm the one looking foolish here. I mean, at least use google prior to being condescending. It can save you embarrassment.

Let's assume he already has

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they did

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Quote:
Illinois Use Tax rates are 6.25 percent of the purchase price of general merchandise and 1.00 percent of the purchase price of qualifying food, drugs, and medical appliances.
food that has not been prepared for immediate consumption (such as most food sold in grocery stores, excluding hot foods, alcoholic beverages, candy, and soft drinks),
prescription medicines and nonprescription items that claim to have medicinal value (such as aspirin and cough medicine, excluding nonprescription grooming and hygiene products), and
medical appliances that replace a malfunctioning part of the human body (such as wheel chairs and hearing aids).

Use taxes are hardly ever enforced. The state will never know what you purchased over state lines nor do they ever ask for proof on consumer goods. Have you ever filed to pay use tax? I doubt it.

I have never paid a use tax and I doubt most members of the board have ever paid it. Paying such a tax requires you to police yourself and report it yourself. When you don't report it, no one cares or notices.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Brick backed into a corner. Coming out swinging.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Let's assume they did

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:54 pm 

Even this site acknowledges a significant portion of Illinois residents don't know it exists and thus don't pay it.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Individu ... se-Tax.htm

Quick question here, but how many of you Illinois residents keep the receipts and pay your use tax on everyday purchases made across state lines?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:55 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Even this site acknowledges a significant portion of Illinois residents don't know it exists and thus don't pay it.

Way to ruin all of our plausible deniability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Way to ruin all of our plausible deniability

You never saw this thread, I have no clue what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Don Tiny wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you were to charge soda tax based upon county of residence, the court would throw out the tax. There is no circumstance where such a tax would hold up in court. Colorado for example can't even check residency at a dispensary. So imagine how that would be done on every grocery trip. Courts would not allow it.
Let's assume you could. The tax is ok then since it isn't costing Chicago tax dollars? I know your answer already and the whole point is to show the mention of "people will smuggle it in" is just an excuse because people don't like the tax.

Let's take it a step further and say that it becomes a nationwide law. Is it bad? Sugar water smuggling would be much harder as I'm not driving to Windsor, Canada for my sugar water.

it's a pointless exercise as we both know it would not hold up in court.

second, this tax is not good. When you have the county with the highest taxes in the country and still can't balance your budget, it is clear that more taxation is not your solution, but rather a decrease on the spending side of your budget is. More taxation is just ignoring the problem and pushing the fiscal time bomb onto the next county president.
Use taxes have been able to stand up in court and have only gotten stronger in the age of the internet. The specifics on how it would be done are for people much more versed in the law than us.

Let's assume they could. etc.

pizza_Place: Milano's
pittmike wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

That is the exact pic my friend put up on FB. :lol:

how is that 2 items :scratch:

FAKE NEWS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:00 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Quote:

Use taxes are hardly ever enforced. The state will never know what you purchased over state lines nor do they ever ask for proof on consumer goods. Have you ever filed to pay use tax? I doubt it.

I have never paid a use tax and I doubt most members of the board have ever paid it. Paying such a tax requires you to police yourself and report it yourself. When you don't report it, no one cares or notices.

I'm sorry, the correct response was "I'm sorry, Use Tax laws when the goods are sold in person do actually stand up in court".

You are correct that you can pretty much get away with not paying it but getting away with breaking a law doesn't mean the law doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:00 pm 

i love how there's a county beverage tax AND a soft drink tax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm 

Bagels wrote:
i love how there's a county beverage tax AND a soft drink tax

Last guy I heard say soft drink was Bill Romanowski

He was deriding arm chair quarterbacks who criticize athletes and how these fat losers sitting around drinking soft drinks make him sick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, the correct response was "I'm sorry, Use Tax laws when the goods are sold in person do actually stand up in court".

You are correct that you can pretty much get away with not paying it but getting away with breaking a law doesn't mean the law doesn't exist.

Bad laws should be broken. You would have to be a real fucking boyscout to buy pop in Indiana or another county and report it to Illinois. We all know that even if on the books, it is 100% unenforceable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Bad laws should be broken. You would have to be a real fucking boyscout to buy pop in Indiana or another county and report it to Illinois. We all know that even if on the books, it is 100% unenforceable.
Oh well, maybe Don Tiny will apologize to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How do you enforce a use tax when it is 100% based upon self policing and Illinois Dept of Revenue has no clue what you purchased over state lines? As mentioned, I don't think a single board member here will say they have ever paid it.

At this point it might as well be that odd law on the books from the 19th century that no one has heard of except for when it is used as a trivial point to highlight archaic laws .

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Let's assume he has.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

How do you enforce a use tax when it is 100% based upon self policing and Illinois Dept of Revenue has no clue what you purchased over state lines? As mentioned, I don't think a single board member here will say they have ever paid it.

i'm sure Rick paid taxes on all his Amazon purchases before they started adding it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

i'm sure Rick paid taxes on all his Amazon purchases before they started adding it

unless he was one of the poor souls living in a state with a fulfillment center and thus was already paying it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

also worth noting I do marketing for online retailers. I can safely say that there are purchases there in the thousands on one of those sites and since they only have a location in CA, tax is only collected on orders shipping there. They ship a lot to Illinois and I'll bet none of those customers has paid a use tax.

When I see follow-up surveys the "tax free" shopping is a major point in why the customers made the choice to buy where they did so clearly they aren't reporting and paying their use tax.

In fact this is proving the point further that taxes influence shopping behavior and if someone wants to make a purchase anyways, they find the place where they avoid the tax or pay the lower tax.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

At this point it might as well be that odd law on the books from the 19th century that no one has heard of except for when it is used as a trivial point to highlight archaic laws .
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are difficult to enforce and for small purchases it isn't worth enforcement. That is why they concentrate on the bigger guys.

It still doesn't change the fact that in person Use Taxes are accepted by the courts as legal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

unless he was one of the poor souls living in a state with a fulfillment center and thus was already paying it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are difficult to enforce and for small purchases it isn't worth enforcement. That is why they concentrate on the bigger guys.

It still doesn't change the fact that in person Use Taxes are accepted by the courts as legal.

I'll give you the online diamond industry as my example. Take for this example Blue Nile. They are located in Washington state is only located there and only collects tax there. In fact, many of the affiliate sites which drive traffic to them will point this fact out to encourage buyers from the other 49 states.

Do you think an Illinois buyer from Blue Nile is paying tax on their purchase, which could easily be in the 5 figures? Do you think the Illinois Dept of Revenue even knows of the purchase? nope.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next