It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Network Extra
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or the NFL seciton, but if you have been watching the NFL Network this weekend, they are advertising a channel called the NFL Redzone, where it takes you to the games when there's a touchdown or a key moment.

My question, is this sounds like just another channel you would get, but if your Directv, aren't you mad about this. I mean, Directv triesto get you to purchase their Superfan package for about 100 bucks, and don't forget about the Sunday ticket. Directv pays a lot of money for this, and the NFL network basically may give it away for free. It could be like the MLB network, with there nightly shows when they don't show a game, but gives highlights when they happen, basically you don't need the baseball package.

I mean if people pay attention to the channel week one, and it shows every touchdown and big play, could see a lot of cancellations of the Sunday ticket, may have to wait untill September 13 to see though.

Post subject: Re: NFL Network Extra
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I noticed something for NFL RedZone, channel surfing earlier today as NFLN started airing preseason games, both live & on tape delay. The channel is supposed to take you around the league to bring you key moments from EVERY GAME as it happens, including the Bears, complete in HD. You'd also get instant fantasy stats, along with extended highlights and more. On the NFL.com Website, there's a full page ad for the new RedZone Channel. If you want to learn more, here's a link with all the details.
http://redzonetv.nfl.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 am 

Shark, I am looking at this from Directv's side, does this new channel mean that you don't need the Sunday ticket, and definetely not their superfan package.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:56 pm 

reents wrote:
Shark, I am looking at this from Directv's side, does this new channel mean that you don't need the Sunday ticket, and definetely not their superfan package.

I tend to think that you'd still need to order the "NFL Sunday Ticket" package, Reents, to get this new channel. My dad & I this year ordered the "MLB Extra Innings" package, because we're both big baseball fans. One of the channels you get with the MLB package is a "Mix" channel where you can watch up to 8 games at one time, even if the White Sox or Cubs are playing. I know DIRECTV has "Mix" channels for both sports in general and news, where you get up to 8 different sports & news channels 24/7 on one screen. They now have an instant Scoreguide on the ESPN family of networks, along with Comcast SportsNet, NFL Network, MLB Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, Golf Channel, Big Ten Network, CBS College Sports and other regional sports networks where sports are playing. If you ever wanted to get an instant score, it's as simple as hitting the red button on your remote.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:29 pm 

Yea, I have seen what you are talking about, and I am still getting the Sunday Ticket, it just seems to me like people may think to save the money and just watch this channel. Like week 1, with the Bears playing at night, usually Directv gives week 1 free, to get people intrested, they could see this and be like I don't need the Sunday ticket.

I do have question Shark, on the MLB package, I don't know how much you watch MLB network during the week at night, but do you feel you get more out of the package, or do you get the same if you watched the MLB network. On their weekly shows, they show highlights, go to games if a team may score, and if it's close will take you their live. I have seen if there is 1 out in the ninth, you won't get to see the end of the game, because I don't know how long they can stay, so I guess you do get to see the end of the game.

Sometimes the thoughts aren't as clear. Basically, do you feel you still need the package, with all the stuff MLB network shows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:28 pm 

I think part of the appeal of "MLB Extra Innings", reents, is hearing the different local calls from around the league as it happens. From the likes of Don Orsillo, Dennis Eckersley & Frank Viola describing the Red Sox on NESN to the legendary Vin Scully calling the Dodgers on FOX Sports' Prime Ticket, there are different voices describing the action. For the first time, you can actually alternate which crew you want to hear calling the games. For example, if you want to see the Twins/Rangers' game tonight, you can get the Minnesota angle from FOX Sports North's Dick Bremer & Bert Blyleven or you can get the Texas perspective from Josh Lewin and I believe Tom Grieve on FOX Sports Southwest if you have the "Extra Innings" package. I know for a fact that MLBN now airs day games, similar to what ESPN & ESPN2 had aired in recent years, in addition to a "Thursday/Saturday Night Baseball" game live. While MLBN dispatches its own crew for the Thursday night game, they use home team crews on Saturday night. Games are subject to blackout in local markets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 pm 

That does sound like it would make the baseball package have a good appeal is hearing some of the announcers, like you mentioned Vin Scully. With the season winding down, you can watch all the teams in the pennant races too.