It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Johnny Crash Mengelt
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I get pulled over in front of the the Park Hyatt as a 22 year old punk driving the rag top jeep, expired plates, no city sticker and maybe no insurance.

I am sitting in my car as the cops run my plates, then I see John Menglet coming down the stairs looking for a cab. I yell, "HEY CRASH"..and Mengelt comes over, asks me whats wrong, so i tell him. Mengelt says "Let me see what I can do"

The cops come back over and say "Seeing you are a personal friend of Mr. Mengelts, we will let you off with a warning this time."

Mengelt then signed a notebook of mine with a "Watch the Coppers" which I still have today.

*FYI for all the Kids out there

How we remember him: Nicknamed "Crash" for his all-out hustle and reckless abandon in diving for loose balls, 6-foot-2 guard John Mengelt was a fan favorite, electrifying the Pistons' crowd at Cobo Arena from 1972-76 with his aggressive play. The former Auburn All-America and 1971 SEC player of the year had his best season with Detroit in 1974-75, averaging 11 points per game.

After the Pistons: Sent to Chicago early in the 1976-77 campaign, Mengelt played four seasons in the Windy City. After being cut by the Bulls, he played one year in Italy before closing the door on his 10-year NBA career with Golden State. Mengelt was a play-by-play basketball color commentator for 20 years on WGN in Chicago, ABC and for the Pistons in the mid-'80s.

Today: Married 33 years, with a 24-year-old daughter. Mengelt, 56, is the owner of Breckenridge Partners, an executive search firm based in Northbrook, Ill., that he started in the early '80s.

On his nickname: "In a final scrimmage in my rookie year with Cincinnati, Norm Van Lier, who was nicknamed 'Crash,' and I both dove for a ball and we hit heads. Norm ended up with 13 stitches, and I didn't have any. After the game he said, 'You are now Crash.' "

On his most memorable "crashes": "In my very first NBA exhibition game, I have an angle on Earl Monroe and I'm going in to lay it up like I did in college. Gus Johnson came out of nowhere and hit me five rows into the bleachers, where I fall through the steel. He came over and said, 'Don't bring that stuff here anymore.' "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:55 am 

Talk about a gift from god. The story sounds fishy, but all brushes with fame stories do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Come on Dolphin. got the Autograph lamiated and saved it for my wall of fame. lol.