It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: History Channel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
They finally tried to run a real history program on a new theory regarding Amelia Earhart... and the evidence behind it got debunked before it even aired. Perhaps they should've employed a real historian or two.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/amelia-ear ... azy-theory

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... hart-photo

Damn I miss the days when they showed real history. Sure it may have been all WWII, but at least that was real, factual history.

I'm pretty much left with nothing other than PBS episodes of American Experience for real history now.

Post subject: Re: History Channel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Can you Jews let us have anything?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
It's terrible. Used to be one of my favorite kill time channels. Yeah it wasn't perfect but what it's become is abysmal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
It's terrible. Used to be one of my favorite kill time channels. Yeah it wasn't perfect but what it's become is abysmal.

It rally was great in its day. Now it's all reality shows with no historical value and straight up bullshit like Ancient Aliens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm 

i also feel that way about Discovery, which is now just non stop ugly naked people and trawler shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 pm 

W_Z wrote:
i also feel that way about Discovery, which is now just non stop ugly naked people and trawler shows.

This is also true. I also miss when it's sister channel TLC (which was The Learning Channel) was almost all NASA and space documentaries.

They destroy all of these channels and wonder why we are all canceling cable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Yep. Fucking reality tv. There was another channel that was okay, military channel or something but that changed names and got bizzare too. Sometimes I just need some black and white footage and a narrator to kill an hour or so while I'm procrastinating doing real work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
On the surface this seems like a good thread and I'm inclined to agree, but I want to be sure. Let me just call my guy down here who is an expert on threads and we can go from there.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
On the surface this seems like a good thread and I'm inclined to agree, but I want to be sure. Let me just call my guy down here who is an expert on threads and we can go from there.

Make sure he has read a lot of recent threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I just enjoyed a Mayberry RFD marathon on the Decades channel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:

Do your thing.

Just call them racists or bitch about the cops and be done with it.

I mean if you can't take the word of an NBA loving white suburbanite on racism and oppression then who's word are we supposed to take?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Do your thing.

I mean if you can't take the word of an NBA loving white suburbanite on racism and oppression then who's word are we supposed to take?

Or, you could just spill a few more drinks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 am 

Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Do your thing.

You should probably drop this bizarre bit where you think people should act a certain way because of the color of their skin. It's a bad look.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Do your thing.

You should probably drop this bizarre bit where you think people should act a certain way because of the color of their skin. It's a bad look.

:lol:

Yeah, from a guy who thinks he knows more about the oppressed then they do. And then arrogantly takes it upon himself to be their defender because they are unable to do it for themselves.

Not a good look for you pasty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 am 

FavreFan wrote:

My expert says that it's in poor condition, best I can do is 5 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Wow. Seacrest exposing FF.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Used to be a great channel with solid programming.. Now it's garbage, reality TV, ghost hunters or Bigfoot on the lousy channels now.. Discovery and Nat geo were solid once too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
312player wrote:
Used to be a great channel with solid programming.. Now it's garbage, reality TV, ghost hunters or Bigfoot on the lousy channels now.. Discovery and Nat geo were solid once too.

Amen, brotha. They used to even have a History 2 channel with cool shows about Hannibal and Agrippa and Genghis Khan. How many Bigfoot shows can you have? Wouldn't they have found him already?

Naked and Afraid has its moments, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am 

well, the word "reality" shouldn't be given to those shows. they're the opposite of reality. they're scripted lifestyle shows. but because it's cheap programming, it's taken over a lot of the cable channels.

except ID! best channel cable has to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
This channel has gone so far downhill it's not funny. I did enjoy American Ripper last night...HH Holmes' grandson and some FBI chick are trying to link him to Jack the Ripper.

There was a show on Sunday afternoon that was about the Alcatraz escape....really well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Circa 10/+ years ago I'd semi-proudly call myself a "history channel junkie" cuz I used to love latching on to occasional programming blocks, especially when they'd have nazi days where they focused on Hitler & the occult and other experimental shit (like the gun designed to fire around corners) -- not to mention all the other various historical topics that they'd occasionally program a day with.

But then came ice road truckers, and once they got a taste of [relatively?] Low-overhead "original programming" via reality shows they were hooked, and the channel steadily declined to total unwatchable shit by the time they fancied themselves a poor man's HBO with their wannabe GOT (Vikings) and their wannabe homeland (Seal Team Six)

Now they're literally reality TV 75%+ of the time (and that's being generous as my gut says 90%+) and after Ice Road Truckers and Ax-Men it seems like the faces of the network became PawnStars (look! People are pawning off historical stuff to get more $$$ in Vegas!) And American Pickers (look at all this history that our garbage picking friends are encountering!)

So yeah, a HISTORY channel is literally centered around pawn shops and garbage pickers... So they're literally saying that history is something to be discarded (one way or another) which if you think about it is exactly what they were doing with their HISTORY channel at the time. Then to exacerbate things H2 (their 2nd channel) would always run a lot of ancient aliens and monsterquest [DSV?] so if you tried getting actual history channel stuff on their backup channel you ended up getting the kind of trash that action Bronson + his [rapper] friends would get all stoned and half-riff-on-top-of over on the viceland tv channel.

All in all, it's a sad state of affairs for a channel that first showed up replacing sci-fi [now "Syfy" or "siffy"] on my basic cable... Which I ended up calling "a lateral move at worst" when my occasional sliders/DS9/etc mini-marathons were replaced with the history channel. There's just nothing of value left on the history channel anymore, especially since they seemingly consider themselves an unholy hybrid of poor-man's-HBO and TruTV nowadays....

I guess "History Channel" is just a brand name nowadays, eh? Like it's there to cash out the old channel's cred for their reality/Action stuff like it's better than its source material cuz it's REAL HISTORY GUISE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
leashyourkids wrote:
Can you Jews let us have anything?

They won't even let us keep the change.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:07 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Do your thing.

Yeah, from a guy who thinks he knows more about the oppressed then they do. And then arrogantly takes it upon himself to be their defender because they are unable to do it for themselves.

Except none of that happened. You just can't help lying can you? It's pathetic.

And are you denying that you keep making judgments based on stereotypes of skin color? Because you've done it several times now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Do your thing.

Except none of that happened. You just can't help lying can you? It's pathetic.

And are you denying that you keep making judgments based on stereotypes of skin color? Because you've done it several times now.

No, you see that's what you did to the cop. You judged him a racist, without cause or reason.

Your opinion as a white suburbanite hardly gives you the experience or reason to classify racism against anyone. Except yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:13 pm 

No see the difference is I was judging his actions after the fact. You're judging made up hypotheticals. And you don't know a fucking thing about my experience so again, stop with the lying and stick with what you know. There's a reason Nas keeps mocking you for defending shithead cops. You could use some mirror time.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:20 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Seacrest - what the fuck does your upper-crust ass know about oppression or racism? If God doesn't shield you from one thing or another, money would. GTFO out of here. FavreFan would know twice as much as you about the 'trenches' of every day people, color be damned.

Using suburbanite as an attempted slight when it comes to knowing the flaws of society. Amusing stuff. Not too far from "you're ginger so you don't have a soul."

Last edited by IMU on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
IMU wrote:
Seacrest - what the fuck does your upper-crust ass know about oppression or racism? If God doesn't shield you from one thing or another, money would. GTFO out of here. FavreFan would know twice as much as you about the 'trenches' of every day people, color be damned.

Using suburbanite as an attempted slight when it comes to knowing the flaws of society. Amusing stuff. Not too far from "your ginger so you don't have a soul."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
DAMN seacrests got knocked the fuck out in this thread.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.