It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Duck Dynasty
Really? Forcing a air Bnb user to take "Asian Studies" courses? Why isn't this provoking outrage across the internet? The owner of the home had every right to refuse service to anyone she likes including foreigners. And what's wrong with that anyway? Why can't you give preferential treatment to those who share your values and perspective? Now she's being forced to shove all this PC respect everyone culture down her throat. Totally outrageous. If anyone wants to start a Kickstarter campaign to pay legal costs for her to sue air Bnb then I am in. This PC stuff has to end.

Article starts here:

Airbnb host fined $5,000 for canceling a reservation with a racist comment
She’ll also have to take an Asian-American studies class

An Airbnb host has been fined $5,000 for racial discrimination and will have to take a course in Asian-American studies after canceling a woman’s reservation because of her ethnicity, reports The Guardian. It’s the first time an Airbnb host has been penalized after California regulators passed an agreement that allows officials to test Airbnb hosts for racial discrimination earlier this year.

In February, Dyne Suh, a 26-year-old law clerk, had booked a mountain cabin in Big Bear, California, for $250 a night from Tami Barker for a skiing weekend with friends. Suh had asked Barker if she could bring two friends and two dogs, and Barker agreed on the condition Suh pay an extra $50 per night.

But Barker reportedly texted Suh to cancel the reservation “minutes before they arrived,” writing, “I wouldn’t rent it to u if u were the last person on earth,” and “One word says it all. Asian.”

In a video posted on YouTube, Suh can be seen tearfully recounting her story.

“She [Barker] said ‘This is why we have Trump, we can’t have foreigners tell us what to do’ she said that to me. I’m an American citizen, this is my home, I’ve been here since I was three years old,” Suh said.

“Racism is very much alive. It exists. It can happen to anyone. There’s no balance to racism no matter what class you are, no matter what your education level, no matter if you’re an American citizen, what they see is that I’m Asian, what they see is my race, and this is how we get treated.”

Suh complained to both Airbnb and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). Airbnb has banned Barker from using its services, while the department investigated and helped with mediation talks between both parties.

Barker’s lawyer Edward Lee said his client was “regretful for her impetuous actions.”

It’s not the first time Airbnb was involved with allegations of racism. Last November, the platform successfully blocked a proposed class action alleging systemic discrimination by Airbnb hosts, enabled by various design choices made by the company. The lawsuit alleged Airbnb’s commercial design disproportionately impacts African-Americans seeking accommodation.

Airbnb implemented a non-discrimination policy in October 2016 and hosts now have to agree to its community commitment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Airbnb is an illegal hotel and Uber is an illegal jitney cab. Why we allow this just because these illegalities are attached to apps is beyond me. "No, no, man, I'm not running an illegal car service. It's an app!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Airbnb is an illegal hotel and Uber is an illegal jitney cab. Why we allow this just because these illegalities are attached to apps is beyond me. "No, no, man, I'm not running an illegal car service. It's an app!"

JORR sticking up for the man, big taxi, and big hotel.

Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Is the boards biggest Trumpkin now calling for more government regulation?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
This is a bad mult, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
This is a bad mult, right?

Yup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Duck Dynasty
So no one is upset over this? How is this supposed to happen in a free society? Forcing an American to read up on the history of some other culture and pay 5k is just facist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm 

Open Bordars Suck wrote:
So no one is upset over this? How is this supposed to happen in a free society? Forcing an American to read up on the history of some other culture and pay 5k is just facist.
Are you for segregation?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

well there's a reason Libertarians are not Republicans (despite every Democrat claiming we are). Republicans are ultimately pro regulation if that regulation protects big business from competition.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 pm 

I honestly believe in free association and voluntaryism so if this woman doesn't want to rent based upon idiotic prejudice fine. I'm sure AirBnB has their own internal way of dealing with this (I know for a fact they do). They ban her from the platform and she doesn't get to rent to anyone so long as she does this. AirBnB as a private firm can choose to do this and no government input is needed her to solve it. In fact, the private market's answer of banning her has a greater impact than any government action ever could.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I honestly believe in free association and voluntaryism so if this woman doesn't want to rent based upon idiotic prejudice fine. I'm sure AirBnB has their own internal way of dealing with this (I know for a fact they do). They ban her from the platform and she doesn't get to rent to anyone so long as she does this. AirBnB as a private firm can choose to do this and no government input is needed her to solve it. In fact, the private market's answer of banning her has a greater impact than any government action ever could.

She just can't do what she did and especially with how she did it and what she said. She deserves everything she got here.

If you want to act like a hotel then you have to follow the rules. Segregation is wrong and illegal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

She just can't do what she did and especially with how she did it and what she said. She deserves everything she got here.

If you want to act like a hotel then you have to follow the rules. Segregation is wrong and illegal.

I'm not saying she didn't deserve it, I'm just saying that these app companies have measures in place to keep people like her off of them and she either 1: continues her ways and doesn't get to use them or 2: follows their rules and gets to use them.

She'll never be allowed on one of these apps again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
"Air Bnb and Political Correctnes" - How about Spelling Correctness?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
likemarsen wrote:

so it's a chas mult ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

Bagels wrote:
likemarsen wrote:

so it's a chas mult ?

He has been absent hasn't he

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

well there's a reason Libertarians are not Republicans (despite every Democrat claiming we are). Republicans are ultimately pro regulation if that regulation protects big business from competition.

Are you saying Uber isn't big business? :lol: The guy getting fucked is Taxicab Pete and his $200,000 medallion note.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Are you saying Uber isn't big business? :lol: The guy getting fucked is Taxicab Pete and his $200,000 medallion note.

as far as politicians (especially locally are concerned) the cab cartels are the big politically connected business. They are the ones who have the unions and are donating to the local re-election campaigns. How much do you think the medallion holders are giving to the Aldercreatures?

The drivers may not be doing well, but the cab companies are. The cab company owners are scum and I'll gladly give my money to Uber. I'm using them tomorrow for getting to and from an airport. Here's a great piece on how it works in Boston.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/specials/taxi

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:03 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Cabs were pretty poor with service. That's why uber and lyft succeeded so quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Cabs were pretty poor with service. That's why uber and lyft succeeded so quickly.

try to use a credit card in a cab....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

A great example. Luckily some cities made that mandatory.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The driver will lie and tell you the card reader isn't working, and it will smell like cigarettes when you get into the vehicle, which is just a salvaged police car with 300,000 miles on it.

My Uber ride is a newer model clean sedan with a polite and personable driver, unless I get stuck with America.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I feel about the cabbies similarly to how I feel about Trump. Just because they're getting a fuck job doesn't mean they aren't incompetent assbags themselves. Who wants to ride with Abdul jabbering in Arabic into his headset? But I will say the quality of Uber has declined. There used to be standards for cars but the other day I got picked up by a guy in a true hooptie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I feel about the cabbies similarly to how I feel about Trump. Just because they're getting a fuck job doesn't mean they aren't incompetent assbags themselves. Who wants to ride with Abdul jabbering in Arabic into his headset? But I will say the quality of Uber has declined. There used to be standards for cars but the other day I got picked up by a guy in a true hooptie.
That's where it falls on us the users to rate the experience. If the car is in poor shape, let that reflect on the rating you give. That impacts the number of rides said driver will be able to provide.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm not saying she didn't deserve it, I'm just saying that these app companies have measures in place to keep people like her off of them and she either 1: continues her ways and doesn't get to use them or 2: follows their rules and gets to use them.

She won't? That's naive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's where it falls on us the users to rate the experience. If the car is in poor shape, let that reflect on the rating you give. That impacts the number of rides said driver will be able to provide.

i have to think that's pretty rare...i've used Uber a million times and there's only 1 car I can recall that I felt wasn't in good condition

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:17 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

She won't? That's naive.

AirBnB is pretty strict in cases like this. If you pull what she did, you're gone and no appeal. They have to maintain a high user experience for the guests or else their app can't survive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

i have to think that's pretty rare...i've used Uber a million times and there's only 1 car I can recall that I felt wasn't in good condition

Yeah, I've never had it happen to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

She won't? That's naive.

AirBnB is pretty strict in cases like this. If you pull what she did, you're gone and no appeal. They have to maintain a high user experience for the guests or else their app can't survive.

She can just sign up with a different email address and they will probably never know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think they've had to loosen standards to keep up with driver turnover.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

She won't? That's naive.

She can just sign up with a different email address and they will probably never know.
When it comes to the properties, they keep track of the physical addresses. Others have tried to sign back with them after being booted.