PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Keeping Score wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Grateful Dead (Parking Lot Only) (3X)

Is there anything better Qbo? Where'd you see them at?

Soldier '93 + '94 and Rosemont one of those years.

I used to be a near-world class hackey-sacker, so I always relished the opportunity to do it for like 6-8 hours straight.

The Quad at Kiwane-ville fulfilled that and then some.

Did you buy anything out in the lots?

I've seen the Dead three times. Once at the Uptown, I think in 1980 and then at Alpine Valley and the last time was at Poplar Creek in the early 80s.

At the Poplar Creek show it was lightly raining. We pulled into the lot and immediately a guy approached selling "doses". I was attempting the purchase when security grabbed the guy. They didn't fuck with me. On our way in we found a guy selling tabs of blotter he called "Dove". They were pink with a picture of a blue bird on them. We dropped that shit and went in and sat on the lawn. Hippies were sliding down the hill in the mud. About halfway through the show, right around when those goofs were playing "Space" that shit kicked in. It wasn't like any acid I had ever had. In fact, it was like straight up speed. I was wired out of my fucking mind. Apparently my buddy Steve was too. We were getting a little antsy with the flaccid music. Steve yelled at me, "WHY THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE TWO DRUMMERS WHEN ONE WITH A BROKEN ARM WOULD DO?" We got loud and obnoxious and started mocking the Dead and its fans. Deadheads began flicking cigarettes at us. I heard one chick say, "If they don't like the Dead, they ought not come."

Finally and mercifully it was over. We went out to the parking lot and walked in circles for what seemed like hours looking for my car to no avail. Of course, nobody was leaving as they all sat around selling patchouli, tie-dyed crap, and vegetarian sandwiches. One broad asked me if I wanted a bumper sticker. I lied and told her I had no money. She said, "I'm going to give it to you anyway, but if you do have money, it's bad karma." Uh oh. Eventually we realized we were in the wrong lot and the car was actually on the other side of the pavilion.

We got in the car and I turned on the Loop. Thank God the Who was on. We cranked "Who Are You" as I pulled out onto 72. Steve was banging on the fucking dashboard. We rolled back into Evanston and I was so cranked up I could hardly sit still. We went to the Burger King across from NU. At the time they didn't sell food to go. You had to bag that shit yourself. We just said, "Fuck it" and sat down at a table. A guy I kind of knew named Brian Rabin sat down next to us and started talking a mile a minute. He seemed like he was speeding more than we were. I had to get the fuck out of there. My old buddy, you're moving much too slow. :lol: I dropped Steve off at his house in East Rogers Park and went home.

I couldn't sleep at all. I started to get worried. I think I was hallucinating just from being so damn tired. I got so scared I woke up my stepfather and told him what I had taken. He told me not to worry that he had been in the same shape before when he popped pills to stay on a gambling binge. He said he's stay up with me and watch TV. "Just don't tell your mother."

The next day I had to work at 4:00 p.m. I still hadn't slept. I made it through my shift and still didn't get to sleep that night 'til the morning came around. That was my last experience with the Dead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I've seen the Dead three times. Once at the Uptown, I think in 1980 and then at Alpine Valley and the last time was at Poplar Creek in the early 80s.

At the Poplar Creek show it was lightly raining. We pulled into the lot and immediately a guy approached selling "doses". I was attempting the purchase when security grabbed the guy. They didn't fuck with me. On our way in we found a guy selling tabs of blotter he called "Dove". They were pink with a picture of a blue bird on them. We dropped that shit and went in and sat on the lawn. Hippies were sliding down the hill in the mud. About halfway through the show, right around when those goofs were playing "Space" that shit kicked in. It wasn't like any acid I had ever had. In fact, it was like straight up speed. I was wired out of my fucking mind. Apparently my buddy Steve was too. We were getting a little antsy with the flaccid music. Steve yelled at me, "WHY THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE TWO DRUMMERS WHEN ONE WITH A BROKEN ARM WOULD DO?" We got loud and obnoxious and started mocking the Dead and its fans. Deadheads began flicking cigarettes at us. I heard one chick say, "If they don't like the Dead, they ought not come."

Finally and mercifully it was over. We went out to the parking lot and walked in circles for what seemed like hours looking for my car to no avail. Of course, nobody was leaving as they all sat around selling patchouli, tie-dyed crap, and vegetarian sandwiches. One broad asked me if I wanted a bumper sticker. I lied and told her I had no money. She said, "I'm going to give it to you anyway, but if you do have money, it's bad karma." Uh oh. Eventually we realized we were in the wrong lot and the car was actually on the other side of the pavilion.

We got in the car and I turned on the Loop. Thank God the Who was on. We cranked "Who Are You" as I pulled out onto 72. Steve was banging on the fucking dashboard. We rolled back into Evanston and I was so cranked up I could hardly sit still. We went to the Burger King across from NU. At the time they didn't sell food to go. You had to bag that shit yourself. We just said, "Fuck it" and sat down at a table. A guy I kind of knew named Brian Rabin sat down next to us and started talking a mile a minute. He seemed like he was speeding more than we were. I had to get the fuck out of there. My old buddy, you're moving much too slow. :lol: I dropped Steve off at his house in East Rogers Park and went home.

I couldn't sleep at all. I started to get worried. I think I was hallucinating just from being so damn tired. I got so scared I woke up my stepfather and told him what I had taken. He told me not to worry that he had been in the same shape before when he popped pills to stay on a gambling binge. He said he's stay up with me and watch TV. "Just don't tell your mother."

The next day I had to work at 4:00 p.m. I still hadn't slept. I made it through my shift and still didn't get to sleep that night 'til the morning came around. That was my last experience with the Dead.

I see what you did there.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
You are My President, Joe!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm 

spanky wrote:
I'm thinking of making a new thread:

which event have you been outside of but never actually attended (twice or more).

Grateful Dead 3X :alien:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
spanky wrote:
I'm thinking of making a new thread:

which event have you been outside of but never actually attended (twice or more).

Outside Busch and nearby bars for a 2011 World Series game
Watched Mission Impossible 2 from a nearby armory parking lot, rather than go into the drive-in
Drove past Kauffman Stadium during a 2003 Royals game