It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Yeah the Dark Side stuff is really good.

Now I'm caught up watching this.

This shit is fascinating. This Brody one.

Shows how insular and corrupt Puerto Rico really is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
There was steroids use for sure but there always seems to be a ton of guys who came out of there that had coke addictions too. More than probably any other federation that I can remember. Hard to think of it now in retrospect, but back then the Von Erichs were actually viewed as a family of "All American Boys".

If you have Hulu, the Dark Side of the Ring documentaries are on there. The Von Erich one was good. So was the Bruiser Brody one. The whole series is pretty great though.

I have Hulu. I will try and check that out. Thanks for the heads up

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:25 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
There was steroids use for sure but there always seems to be a ton of guys who came out of there that had coke addictions too. More than probably any other federation that I can remember. Hard to think of it now in retrospect, but back then the Von Erichs were actually viewed as a family of "All American Boys".

If you have Hulu, the Dark Side of the Ring documentaries are on there. The Von Erich one was good. So was the Bruiser Brody one. The whole series is pretty great though.

:thumleft:

3 seasons on there...season 4 is probably coming next year. As I mentioned to RFDC a few posts ago, there is another companion show about the territories that starts on Vice tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:31 am 

RFDC wrote:
Yeah the Dark Side stuff is really good.

Now I'm caught up watching this.

This shit is fascinating. This Brody one.

Yeah the whole Brody story is really interesting.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:40 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I'd never heard that story before.

Watched the Montreal Screwjob one too. I'd heard that story before a few times. Still was good though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
RFDC wrote:
Yeah the whole Brody story is really interesting.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:47 am 

Watched the Montreal Screwjob one too. I'd heard that story before a few times. Still was good though.

Keep up the good work Doc, you are going to be an old school wrestling fan yet. There are so many interesting stories from wrestling over the years. I can watch that stuff all the time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Im in the "100% Work" camp on the Screw Job

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:13 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

I just don't see it. If that was the case I think we would know it for sure by now.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:02 pm 

Nah...Bret was too into himself...didn't see the business as changing. Wanted everything to be Calgary in the late 70's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
RFDC wrote:

I just don't see it. If that was the case I think we would know it for sure by now.

i think they got together and knew the story would be huge for the industry, since the facade of kayfabe was starting to fade and they could capitalize on background shenanigans and just decided to keep it going for the sake of its own history to wrestling and Evil Corporate/Owners.

Werent there numerous cheap Bischoff/WCW imitations of that in the 90s and early 00s? fans eat that shit up

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:16 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
RFDC wrote:

Keep up the good work Doc, you are going to be an old school wrestling fan yet. There are so many interesting stories from wrestling over the years. I can watch that stuff all the time.

My wrestling podcast probably wasn't a good representation of my interest. But, I was huge into it in the 80s, just like every kid my age.

I just don't know much past about 1992. But, I always enjoyed reading the real-life drama stuff, even of this later stuff, so this show is right up my alley.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:18 pm 

I was in El Paso the day that Eddie Guerrero died. You would have thought the Pope died.

I assume there is an episode on that in this series somewhere. That was crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:

My wrestling podcast probably wasn't a good representation of my interest. But, I was huge into it in the 80s, just like every kid my age.

I just don't know much past about 1992. But, I always enjoyed reading the real-life drama stuff, even of this later stuff, so this show is right up my alley.

Nice.

Did you watch all the different areas during the 80s or were you just mainly into the WWF? NWA during the 80s was probably my favorite time ever in wrestling.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:41 pm 

I was in El Paso the day that Eddie Guerrero died. You would have thought the Pope died.

I assume there is an episode on that in this series somewhere. That was crazy.

They touch on that topic a bit during the Chris Benoit episode, but I don't think Eddie has ever gotten his own episode.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:06 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Did you watch all the different areas during the 80s or were you just mainly into the WWF? NWA during the 80s was probably my favorite time ever in wrestling.

I only watched WWF and some WCCW.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Did you give up wrestling before the golden age of the attitude era?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:11 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Oh man, you missed some great stuff.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 pm 

RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Oh man, you missed some great stuff.

I'll learn to live with disappointment.

I thought it was a lot of over the top stuff that I saw in that era.

I preferred the subtleness of a character like the Honky Tonk Man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:54 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

3 seasons on there...season 4 is probably coming next year. As I mentioned to RFDC a few posts ago, there is another companion show about the territories that starts on Vice tonight.

Watched the Brody and Von Erich documentaries. They were very good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Find the territory days interesting because of the business model they followed was fairly unique, buying cheap local TV time, hoping enough people will buy tickets to pay your bills, trying to survive during down business cycles.

Promoters running into guys at local gyms or bouncers at bars and talking them into trying wrestling, giving them some odd gimmick.

Kind of like local theater on steroids.

You can YouTube vids of Randy Poffo risking life and limb, bleeding all over, in a cage match in front of a few dozen people in Mt. Carmel, IL trying to keep his dad's promotion alive, certainly a unique family business.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:02 am 

Watching all of the footage from these 2 documentaries reminded me of how there used to be a ton of blood spilled (literally) in the matches of the 70's and 80's, then HIV/AIDS came along and quite magically all of the bleeding stopped.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:06 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Cool...Glad you enjoyed. The whole series is pretty good. The Benoit and Pillman episodes are worth your time, too. So are the Road Warriors and Dynamite Kid ones. There were a handful in season 3 that I could completely do without.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I just finished reading the Buddy Rogers biography and am re-reading the History of the NWA both by Tim Hornbaker. At this point, the only wrestling that I am interested in pre-dates Bruno beating Rogers in 1963. The history of the sport is pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:50 am 

Augie wrote:
I just finished reading the Buddy Rogers biography and am re-reading the History of the NWA both by Tim Hornbaker. At this point, the only wrestling that I am interested in pre-dates Bruno beating Rogers in 1963. The history of the sport is pretty amazing.

The old time guys were legit bad asses for the most part who could handle themselves.

Interesting to read how the outcomes were in doubt even sometimes during the match and the champions were constantly afraid guys would try to steal a win and the championship, so they would stretch guys and beat the hell out of them if they saw any sign of someone going into business for themself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:52 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
Watching all of the footage from these 2 documentaries reminded me of how there used to be a ton of blood spilled (literally) in the matches of the 70's and 80's, then HIV/AIDS came along and quite magically all of the bleeding stopped.

Think I read a few guys have accused Abdullah The Butcher of giving them Hep C.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:56 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Cool...Glad you enjoyed. The whole series is pretty good. The Benoit and Pillman episodes are worth your time, too. So are the Road Warriors and Dynamite Kid ones. There were a handful in season 3 that I could completely do without.

The Stuff on "Cousin Lance" brought back memories :lol: :lol: :lol:. No one bought that shit at the time. The Mike Von Erich stuff was spot on too. They kept trying to push the kid even when it was clear that he didn't have it.

I remember going to old Comiskey and watching one of those cross federation promotions and seeing Kerry Von Erich wrestle back in the day. Can't remember who it was but I believed that it happened to be Flair. It was actually a pretty good show. 13 matches and some of the heaviest hitters (At the time) in the game were there. First time that I recalled Road Warrior Manager Paul Ellering being "roided up" too.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:12 am 

Put this in the podcast section, but the AWA Unleashed pod has some interesting interviews.

Enjoyed the Nacho Berrera one, a good insight into the life of a jobber back in the day, and the Jerry Lynn one was not bad, the guys that do the show waste a lot of time talking about local MN indy stuff that nobody knows about, but there is some interesting content.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:39 pm 

I knew absolutely nothing about Brian Pillman.

I've never even heard his name before. I'm still on Part 1 and I'm amazed by this story already.

When I saw there was a 2 part episode on Brian Pillman, I thought who is he and why does he get a 2-part episode. Can't wait to see part 2.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:15 am 

I could have done without the Death Match episode.

It was basically a guy nobody heard of almost killing David Arquette in a futile attempt for both of them to get some publicity in a pretty boring story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next