It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I love this idea
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3214243

At parks and in driveways across the country, basketball is played outdoors under the lights.

So why not let the pros play an NBA game in the great outdoors, too?

The Phoenix Suns are planning to play the NBA's first outdoor game during next year's preseason at the Indian Wells (Calif.) Tennis Garden, Suns president and CEO Rick Welts said, according to the Arizona Republic.

The idea is far enough along that the Suns have laid out a basketball court at the outdoor tennis stadium, and team general manager Steve Kerr has visited the site, according to the report. While some details need to be ironed out, an official announcement could be made in a month, the newspaper reported.

According to the report, Suns part-owner Dick Heckmann, who lives in the Palm Springs, Calif., area, got the idea from a local parks manager and passed it along to Welts.

"It's a completely unique experience," Welts said, according to the Republic. "We like to do new and exciting things. I think it would be remarkably successful."

Indian Wells has a capacity of 16,100 and features loge seating and 44 suites, but no roof. The Suns would need to provide the playing floor, scoreboard and video boards for the event, according to the report.

"It's going to be incredibly cool," Welts predicted, according to the Republic.

And if this leads to Rafer Alston fucking up Kirk Hinrich in a regular season game at Rucker Park, it will be reason #5,467 why I love this game.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

How would this be affected by wind? The biggest problem I see is the fact even a small breeze could affect three point shooting enough to change the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I heard this too...the idea sounds good, but I recall too many times on the playground when there was a strong wind having it really affect people's games. For a game, at that level, that's always been played indoors it seems like the weather would have a HUGE affect on the game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 pm 

Yeah I understand the wind argument, but both teams would have to deal with it, and unless it was a very strong wind, I doubt it would affect the game to the point where the scores would dip below the 70's(Unless the Bulls were playing). Anyone who has played alot of hours on the playground already knows how to adjust a shot for wind. Obviously you will still shoot a bit worse, but it wouldnt be impossible to make baskets. It would be interesting to see if a team like the Suns would adjust their style of play to adapt to the environment.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 pm 

I agree. I just wonder how well you can adjust for the wind when shooting three pointers. I've never played an outdoor game with an NBA three point line.

I think it would be cool and both teams would have to deal with it. I would love to see how things changed and how much it was different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:54 pm 

Ben Wallace shooting FTs outdoors.... :shock:

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
The wind might push it back in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
They should make it a black top court and then play against And1. Forget about anything form more than 15 feet beyond if it is windy out.

I don't think it will have the same effect as it did for hockey. I tell you what, I watched the whole Buffalo/Pitt game and I never watch a hockey game on tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:01 pm 

Big Ern wrote:
I don't think it will have the same effect as it did for hockey. I tell you what, I watched the whole Buffalo/Pitt game and I never watch a hockey game on tv.

It won't be the same.
One of the draws of the hockey game was the fact that there were 70,000+ fans.
They should just throw down some hardwood at the Rose Bowl and have the all star game in front of 100,000 fans.
The NCAA already uses football domes for the final 4, so it can't be that tough to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 pm 

A couple of rule changes they should implement for the outdoor game:

blacktop court
call your own fouls/violations
but, no offensive fouls
taunting allowed
chain-link nets
double iron rims
make it- take it
score is kept by the players

The game should be sponsored by shoe company British Knights and Sprite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:11 pm 

Mustang Rob wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

It won't be the same.
One of the draws of the hockey game was the fact that there were 70,000+ fans. They should just throw down some hardwood at the Rose Bowl and have the all star game in front of 100,000 fans.
The NCAA already uses football domes for the final 4, so it can't be that tough to do.

You don't think that the Bulls would of drawn 70K back in the 90's if they played outdoors at Soldier's Field?
Domes don't coun't as outdoors.
The difference is that basketball can only be played in optimal weather conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm 

Big Ern wrote:

blacktop court
but, no offensive fouls
taunting allowed
chain-link nets
double iron rims
make it- take it

how can you make all those suggestions and omit the obvious No Blood, No Foul rule.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:25 pm 

Big Ern wrote:
Mustang Rob wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

It won't be the same.
One of the draws of the hockey game was the fact that there were 70,000+ fans. They should just throw down some hardwood at the Rose Bowl and have the all star game in front of 100,000 fans.

You don't think that the Bulls would of drawn 70K back in the 90's if they played outdoors at Soldier's Field?
The difference is that basketball can only be played in optimal weather conditions.

Apparently you have never shoveled half of a playground as a kid to play some hoops after the first snow of the season

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

blacktop court
but, no offensive fouls
taunting allowed
chain-link nets
double iron rims
make it- take it

It is funny you mentioned that, I initially wrote that down and then I changed it to call your own. Depends on which courts you play on. Southside courts is no blood no fould, north side and west suburbs cry fall on every attempted block shot and steal.
how can you make all those suggestions and omit the obvious No Blood, No Foul rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Big Ern wrote:
Mustang Rob wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

It won't be the same.

Apparently you have never shoveled half of a playground as a kid to play some hoops after the first snow of the season

Didn't need to. Always had a gym to play in. I like how you think that an official basketball game can be played in snow and rain You are comparing apples to oranges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Didn't the Tennessee women's college b-ball team play an outdoor game at the BOB down in Arizona a few years back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
This is a hell of an idea. I agree that a breeze can effect an outside shot but I've played outdoors with some guys who had a fucking automatic jumper despite how hard the wind was blowing. They're pros...they'll be fine.

Big Ern I wouldn't put NBA guys up against the And1 players. A team of NBA players would KILL those And1 guys because all they can do is dunk and do that Harlem Globetrotter bullshit. Apparently they don't call 'traveling' in the And1 league. They have zero discipline and zero fundamentals...that's why you rarely see those guys make it to the NBA.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 pm 

Kid Cairo- If you thought I was serious, I wasn't. But for entertainment value, if you combine the fans of streetball and the fans of the NBA, it might turn out to be a great event.

And of course the rules are not the same in the And1 league. Otherwise it would just be another league that would get lost behind the shadow of the NBA. Pefrect example is the CBA, XFL, USFL.

But good for Rafer Alston (Skip to my Lou) for making it. He gives the others hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Sorry Ern, I thought you were serious. My bad.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 pm 

:wink: