It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lonzo: Year 1
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Lonzo's rebounding numbers will tail off as the season progresses also.

Maybe a little but probably not much. He's good at that. Against the Wizards down 2 with 30 seconds left he hopped over Gortat and Randle for the board.

Also, like I mentioned above, if we're going that route we also have to agree his percentages are going to rise at least somewhat. Pretty sure he's not gonna finish with the worst TS% in NBA history.

His ability to hit standstill jump shots will improve. That can get better with practice. Other aspects of his game won't. He doesn't really have much of an "off the bounce" game at all. No handle and he has to play in space to be effective. He never gets by his man unless it's a ball screen. Not good when his shot is challenged either.

His ability to hit wide open shots will get better with practice but he may never be a good shooter. Might be respectable at some point.

He will never be good defensively. He'd have to be a terror offensively to offset his terrible defense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Lonzo's rebounding numbers will tail off as the season progresses also.

Maybe a little but probably not much. He's good at that. Against the Wizards down 2 with 30 seconds left he hopped over Gortat and Randle for the board.

Also, like I mentioned above, if we're going that route we also have to agree his percentages are going to rise at least somewhat. Pretty sure he's not gonna finish with the worst TS% in NBA history.

His ability to hit standstill jump shots will improve. That can get better with practice. Other aspects of his game won't. He doesn't really have much of an "off the bounce" game at all. No handle and he has to play in space to be effective. He never gets by his man unless it's a ball screen. Not good when his shot is challenged either.

His ability to hit wide open shots will get better with practice but he may never be a good shooter. Might be respectable at some point.

He will never be good defensively. He'd have to be a terror offensively to offset his terrible defense.

Because of his size and lack of top end athleticism he'll always struggle a bit with smaller, quicker guards but he's already pretty good defensively.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
You gotta be shittin me FF, " pretty good defensively" absolutely not.

Good passer..yes
Good rebounder..yes

Awful shooter with no defense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 pm 

312player wrote:

Good passer..yes
Good rebounder..yes

I think he's been fine defensively so far. Not great but he's definitely not awful. He should be guarding opposing 2's/3's though, not PGs, imo.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:

Good passer..yes
Good rebounder..yes

I think he's been fine defensively so far. Not great but he's definitely not awful. He should be guarding opposing 2's/3's though, not PGs, imo.

You're trolling.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
FavreFan wrote:
Classic good stats on a bad team guy.

We're not talking about Lauri Markkanen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:

Good passer..yes
Good rebounder..yes

You're trolling.

Nope. Ripped it from your guy Wall twice in the open court the other night. He's smart and has good hands and uses his length well. Like I said before, his lack of top end athleticism will prevent him from ever being a great defender, but he's not awful. 50%+ of defense in the NBA is basketball IQ and effort, and Lonzo checks both of those.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:

Good passer..yes
Good rebounder..yes

You're trolling.

Nope. Ripped it from your guy Wall twice in the open court the other night. He's smart and has good hands and uses his length well. Like I said before, his lack of top end athleticism will prevent him from ever being a great defender, but he's not awful. 50%+ of defense in the NBA is basketball IQ and effort, and Lonzo checks both of those.

His defense on Wall was so good that they took him off him during the 2nd half. They have already taken to having him guard non offensive players. Never a good sign.

As far as effort goes he showed a tremendous amount of it during Wall's blow by dunk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 pm 

long time guy wrote:
They have already taken to having him guard non offensive players. Never a good sign.

:lol: :lol:

He's played 4 NBA games total and you're worried that he's not shutting down opposing all stars yet?

Like I said, he's pretty good defensively. He's not great and I have doubts he ever will be. Unlike you and shakes, I didn't have a strong opinion either way on him coming into this season. I think it's clear your pre-NBA bias is affecting your analysis of him so far.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I've never seen LTG school any one this badly, let alone resident NBA expert FavreFan. What a friday!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:25 pm 

IMU wrote:
I've never seen LTG school any one this badly, let alone resident NBA expert FavreFan. What a friday!

Bagels is the resident NBA expert, he just doesn't deem us worthy of his thoughts all that often.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I would like to see a stat, league wide, of what % of the time both PG/SG/SF/PF/C actually guard each other

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:30 pm 

Bagels wrote:
I would like to see a stat, league wide, of what % of the time both PG/SG/SF/PF/C actually guard each other

Kyrie, Westbrook, and Markkanen guard all five positions 100% of the time. Everyone else in the NBA gets hidden on non offensive players.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:

Bagels is the resident NBA expert, he just doesn't deem us worthy of his thoughts all that often.

:lol: i haven't watched a whole lot of Lonzo so far this year so I'm not entering the fracas yet

I do think he'll turn out better than MCW tho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Kyrie, Westbrook, and Markkanen guard all five positions 100% of the time. Everyone else in the NBA gets hidden on non offensive players.

They guard their position. It's why comparisons with guys like Curry and now Ball are so comical.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:58 pm 

There is no comparison with Curry

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Defensively he is just as bad. Maybe worse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The rest of the nba community disagrees with this. I guess you know more though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The rest of the nba community disagrees with this. I guess you know more though.

You gotta love how the generalizations just flow. I haven't heard anyone say that either is a good defender and I doubt that you have either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:39 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You gotta love how the generalizations just flow.

That's not a generalization. Steph Curry isn't awful defensively, and the vast majority of reports, analysts, and writers that cover the league recognize that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You gotta love how the generalizations just flow.

That's not a generalization. Steph Curry isn't awful defensively, and the vast majority of reports, analysts, and writers that cover the league recognize that.

You keep stating it as if it's a fact and it's not. The Cavs looked to attack him each time he was switched over to Irving and Lue spoke of how that was in the scouting report.

Why? because that's what coaches do to weak defenders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I haven't heard anyone say that either is a good defender and I doubt that you have either.

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/4 ... efensively

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/21/k ... ff-career/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ru ... cf7ad4a737

Quote:
But as great as Westbrook’s been this series (28 points, 11 rebounds, 6.6 assists on average), Curry’s actually given him fits. According to ESPN’s Stats & Info, Curry’s been Westbrook’s primary defender for 25 of his shot attempts. On those plays, Westbrook has only hit 32 percent of them for 0.70 points per play. When anyone else on the Warriors takes on Westbrook, he’s shot 44 percent on 84 attempts, good for 0.97 points per play.

In the Thunder’s Game 4 win, Westbrook shot 3-8 when Curry guarded him, and in Game 5, he shot 0 for 3. In fact, Curry was arguably the best defender on the court on Thursday night, putting up the highest defensive rating (101) of all players who played over 30 minutes. Across both games, Curry has shadowed Westbrook’s kinetic offensive attacks, keeping Westbrook in front of him through tough pick and roll screens.

None of this is new though. When needed, he’s been a top defender for his position for over a year. His Defensive Rating during wins this season has been 102, and he finished 10th in the league in Defensive Win Shares, per Basketball Reference. And while it’s not the best defensive metric, Curry did lead the NBA in steals per game this season. Curry’s defense has never been “underrated,” but it seems like Durant and Westbrook won’t give the handsy guard his due.

I could keep going. This has actually been a pretty big topic over the last couple years and MANY have given their input on it. Now you can't say you didn't know.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:49 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I haven't heard anyone say that either is a good defender and I doubt that you have either.

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/4 ... efensively

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/21/k ... ff-career/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ru ... cf7ad4a737

Quote:
But as great as Westbrook’s been this series (28 points, 11 rebounds, 6.6 assists on average), Curry’s actually given him fits. According to ESPN’s Stats & Info, Curry’s been Westbrook’s primary defender for 25 of his shot attempts. On those plays, Westbrook has only hit 32 percent of them for 0.70 points per play. When anyone else on the Warriors takes on Westbrook, he’s shot 44 percent on 84 attempts, good for 0.97 points per play.

In the Thunder’s Game 4 win, Westbrook shot 3-8 when Curry guarded him, and in Game 5, he shot 0 for 3. In fact, Curry was arguably the best defender on the court on Thursday night, putting up the highest defensive rating (101) of all players who played over 30 minutes. Across both games, Curry has shadowed Westbrook’s kinetic offensive attacks, keeping Westbrook in front of him through tough pick and roll screens.

None of this is new though. When needed, he’s been a top defender for his position for over a year. His Defensive Rating during wins this season has been 102, and he finished 10th in the league in Defensive Win Shares, per Basketball Reference. And while it’s not the best defensive metric, Curry did lead the NBA in steals per game this season. Curry’s defense has never been “underrated,” but it seems like Durant and Westbrook won’t give the handsy guard his due.

I could keep going. This has actually been a pretty big topic over the last couple years and MANY have given their input on it. Now you can't say you didn't know.

You're not making sense. OKC removed Curry from Westbrook after game 4 because he was being dominated by Westbrook.

Irving murdered him.
Statistics and ratings are meaningless because Curry rarely guards offensive minded players.

As far as his defense goes there have many who have attacked Curry for being weak defensively. Same goes for Ball. You seem to be the only person claiming that their defense doesn't stink.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:52 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:06 pm 

Bagels wrote:

:lol:

Yeah, I tried. If a guy is just going to ignore reality and facts there's not much more you can do.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:42 pm 

Your evidence cites the few instances which he guarded Westbrook. This sort of validates the fact that he didn't guard Westbrook when it comes down to it. If he can t defend his position then what's the point of discussing his defense? Same goes for Ball.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
4 fucking games. Jesus.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:01 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Your evidence cites the few instances which he guarded Westbrook. This sort of validates the fact that he didn't guard Westbrook when it comes down to it. If he can t defend his position then what's the point of discussing his defense? Same goes for Ball.

It cited a lot more than just those instances, and it also disproved your notion that I'm the only one who thinks he's not bad defensively.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It cited a lot more than just those instances, and it also disproved your notion that I'm the only one who thinks he's not bad defensively.

They removed Curry from Westbrook because he was destroying him. That somehow means nothing for some reason. Irving pimped him during the following series. Whenever I watch G.S. play it's always Klay Thompson who takes tough point guards. Everyone knows that but somehow that's not reflection of Curry's defense.

Honestly there is no way that it can t be. His statistics mean nothing if he checks Kelly Oubre and not John Wall.

You constantly bash Westbrook. Westbrook guards His position and always has. The reason that his numbers are worse is because he guards guys that are better players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next