It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I think they're doing what they have to do. Allen is getting old and to essentially get a high lotter pick for him is a good move. Best to just blow the whole thing up and start over. Really if they could have duped the Hawks into trading for Ridnour it would have been even better of an offseason.

I also think it's pretty funny you're asking how they broke the core of a team that never played one day together :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:31 pm 

They got a huge trade exception with that deal to Orlando. Plus, they just drafted Durant. They need to rebuild around him. It doesn't do them any good to have a 28 year old wing taking 20 shots/game when they have Durant and Green on the roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boston did well from the standpoint that they held onto Theo Ratliff’s expiring contract while making the move for Allen (meaning they can still make another big trade, if they’re willing to part with Al Jeff), but Seattle is in pretty good shape going forward as well. The 2nd round pick is meaningless, but they got a huge trade exception from the Lewis sign & trade. They also project to have a hearty amount of cap space following the 2008 season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm 

So why the hell would the Sonics trade for Kurt Thomas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:10 pm 

Baku wrote:
So why the hell would the Sonics trade for Kurt Thomas?

They did? He has an expiring contract, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:22 pm 

Nas wrote:
It's a great deal for them. They pick up an expiring contract for a guy that will provide some veteran leadership for the young guys and they get a couple of 1st round picks. Phoenix gets a little financial relief and they get rid of draft picks they didn't want anyway.

Agreed. Seems to be a no-brainer for both teams, given their situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

The other pick was 2010. That’s a long way off, and Nash (potentially Marion as well) will be gone by then. If the pick’s not protected significantly, this could turn out to be a very bad deal for Phoenix. It’s already a bad deal, since they gain nothing, they’re simply correcting fuck ups from the previous regime.

Seattle is having a great offseason. I question their use of Boston’s pick (taking Jeff Green right after drafing Kevin Durant), but aside from that, they’ve been masterful since late June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

I can’t seem to find any reports that the Suns’ 2010 pick is protected. If that’s the case, this has the potential to go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. Of course, we won’t know for some time, but the red flags are everywhere. Nash expires the year before, and will be 36 and facing retirement anyway. Marion walks after next year. And if both guys are gone, Amare may very well exercise his opt-out and bail on a crappy situation. Thus, there is a decent chance that Phoenix might be one of the worst, if not the worst, team in the NBA come 2010. If this pick isn’t protected, Seattle may have just cashed in bigtime. We’ll find out in a few years.

Man, Phoenix is a such a joke. I hope they never win a title. Their ownership doesn’t deserve it, and their front office is incredibly overrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:53 pm 

Spinnin' Bucket wrote:
I can’t seem to find any reports that the Suns’ 2010 pick is protected. If that’s the case, this has the potential to go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. Of course, we won’t know for some time, but the red flags are everywhere. Nash expires the year before, and will be 36 and facing retirement anyway. Marion walks after next year. And if both guys are gone, Amare may very well exercise his opt-out and bail on a crappy situation. Thus, there is a decent chance that Phoenix might be one of the worst, if not the worst, team in the NBA come 2010. If this pick isn’t protected, Seattle may have just cashed in bigtime. We’ll find out in a few years.

Man, Phoenix is a such a joke. I hope they never win a title. Their ownership doesn’t deserve it, and their front office is incredibly overrated.

You don't like the Grant Hill signing? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm conflicted on that one, Baku. I do like Hill and have pulled for him to get back to form, but I don't like him enough to root for Phoenix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

I told you months ago that I thought Kerr would make a lousy GM. So far, he hasn't convinced me otherwise.