It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mizzou Protest
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think to some degree you have a bunch of kids who have read about the 60s and romanticized it and they're looking for their own cause(s).

Reason had a pretty good article relating to that.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/yale ... ch-college

Quote:
It’s clear that many of today’s students—at Yale, Missouri, and other campuses—don’t value free expression the way their radical predecessors did. But the Yale and Missouri incidents reveal something even more startling: they don’t value their own independence, either. Their goal is to re-enshrine in loco parentis. They want their administrators-in-chief to hold them while they cry, pat them on the back, and softly whisper into their ears, “you’re right, I’m so sorry.”

Will these same students, complain, I wonder, if their administrators start sending troublemakers to bed without supper, or preventing them from hanging out with their friends until they finish their homework? Keep in mind that prior to the ‘60s, administrators placed broad restrictions on students’ rights to socialize, organize, and speak. That’s what parents do, it’s what used to take place on college campuses, and it’s what awaits these students who are suddenly so desperate to be treated like children again.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
badrogue17 wrote:
Forced him to sell his Mercedes too. Though I think that falls under the white privilege demand.

Just guessing, he gets a pretty nice exit bonus, as that exit was stage left in a hurry.

I think the students wanted and expected a long fight. prez, agreed in less than 24 hours. Now they dont know what to do with themselves and there is a need for a cause. So now its about "protecting a life" is what they said.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
bigfan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Forced him to sell his Mercedes too. Though I think that falls under the white privilege demand.

Just guessing, he gets a pretty nice exit bonus, as that exit was stage left in a hurry.

I think the students wanted and expected a long fight. prez, agreed in less than 24 hours. Now they dont know what to do with themselves and there is a need for a cause. So now its about "protecting a life" is what they said.

They have no idea what they are doing or what they were doing. No clue, none. Now I wouldn't be surprised if this all ends in rioting, violence and destruction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Reason had a pretty good article relating to that.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/11/09/yale ... ch-college

Quote:
It’s clear that many of today’s students—at Yale, Missouri, and other campuses—don’t value free expression the way their radical predecessors did. But the Yale and Missouri incidents reveal something even more startling: they don’t value their own independence, either. Their goal is to re-enshrine in loco parentis. They want their administrators-in-chief to hold them while they cry, pat them on the back, and softly whisper into their ears, “you’re right, I’m so sorry.”

Will these same students, complain, I wonder, if their administrators start sending troublemakers to bed without supper, or preventing them from hanging out with their friends until they finish their homework? Keep in mind that prior to the ‘60s, administrators placed broad restrictions on students’ rights to socialize, organize, and speak. That’s what parents do, it’s what used to take place on college campuses, and it’s what awaits these students who are suddenly so desperate to be treated like children again.

By the looks of that editor's bio, I'm not surprised that kind of drivel was loosed upon us. Yet another William F. Buckley on obnoxious training wheels.

As I mentioned above, I don't know all of the details. I did know that this was a problem that started back last winter/spring. For some strange reason during the orientation I was in a spot where I was reading the campus papers dating back to Feb./March & asking questions of the tour volunteers who were aware & concerned of what went on. As were one or two of the professors I talked to. They all (surprise, surprise) loved the school, but were dumbfounded by the former president's actions back then.

To a person, I felt that there was a sense of unease and worry on that campus...all tied to the president's actions. There is in Columbia, just like here, a strain of folks who are dying to belittle other races/religions/etc and then play condescending little games to trivialize the whole matter. The feeling I got was that the former president was providing an incubator for little preppy editors like that guy at Reason/Blaze/etc. to get snarky and incite the clowns/angry drunks/bigots among us.

They all wished the president had gone in a different direction. Now that I think about it, they all weren't just dumbfounded by his actions, but even then by his glaring inaction. Imagine living on a campus with say 5,000 emboldened ex-cops/painters & you weren't his "right kind of person". I felt that that was what all of those Mizzou folks were afraid of & the former president didn't care about what they would do or say to others in their campus "homes". If he hadn't resigned, I think those same folks would have then been worried about what the next ex-cop/painter contingent would do next.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:13 pm 

Did you read the article, RR? It does not sound like you did. There was no belittling of race, religion, etc. If you have a problem with the article, respond to what it says. Don't make shit up. I think it made a good point. College kids still want to act and be treated like children. It's probably a part of a larger societal problem of prolonged adolescence or whatever it's called and young adults not wanting to grow up and face reality.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:17 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
They have no idea what they are doing or what they were doing. No clue, none. Now I wouldn't be surprised if this all ends in rioting, violence and destruction.

You're sitting here 400 miles away with no real understanding of that campus or the protesting kids on it but you can high handedly make the first guess as to their thinking. No surprise, it's kind of what you do in areas like this. Sit on your bigoted high horse and shit on every group you blame for your own shortcomings.

Next you remark about what you "wouldn't be surprised" about how this all violently ends?!? No reason, rationale, or simple acceptance of the fact that right now the protesters are fairly happy they were acknowledged & achieved some of their previously thought to be unreachable goals. But despite their own recognized success, you ignorantly wouldn't be surprised if rioting, violence and destruction is their next aim. Why would you make that assumption aside from their skin color?

Don't bother, we know your real answer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Did you read the article, RR? It does not sound like you did. There was no belittling of race, religion, etc. If you have a problem with the article, respond to what it says. Don't make shit up. I think it made a good point. College kids still want to act and be treated like children. It's probably a part of a larger societal problem of prolonged adolescence or whatever it's called and young adults not wanting to grow up and face reality.

That is what it is though. I'm not going to stand here shaking my fist about that anymore than I'm going to get upset that some kid has his pants hanging off his ass. It's not my thing. I'm sure I looked ridiculous to old guys when I was 20 years old too.

Yeah, I would have been mortified if my mom came down to Champaign to pick out my classes. Or if I had a problem with a professor and my parents got involved. But my grandfather had three kids before he was 30. I'm sure he thought I was immature when I was 22. If he were alive I'm sure he'd think I was immature now. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:22 pm 

I would think a normal reaction from a person that desired to retain the position he had would be stating what he has done to alleviate the situation, try to schedule a sit down with representatives and not give in to demands without negotiations.

This guy took the money and ran out the door as fast as he could pack.

Somethings not right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:23 pm 

bigfan wrote:
I would think a normal reaction from a person that desired to retain the position he had would be stating what he has done to alleviate the situation, try to schedule a sit down with representatives and not give in to demands without negotiations.

Somethings not right.

It'll come out that he denied Big Mikes bid for admission

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Interestingly, he was one of these guys who was brought in to "run it like a business." He had never worked in education prior to becoming University President. In fact, he worked in the fascinating and culturally significant world of software sales. I believe the U of Iowa just hired someone similar.

That isn't a surprise at all. That was exactly the impression I got from events I attended there. I hope the Iowa president learns from this experience. The kids I know that are there now really like it a lot. I looked into Iowa with my son & really liked the campus and atmosphere there as well.

Has anyone seen the 30 for 30 about Bill McCartney, the old Colorado coach yet? There was a statistic in there that I found hard to believe. At the time McCartney was coach there were 23,000 students at the University of Colorado and only 400 of them (including the guys on the football team) were black.

I saw that.

Dude is a poser. Promise man out there cheating on his wife.

I didn't really think the guy was a phony. If I understood correctly he cheated on his wife once- a one night stand a long time ago when he was drinking and before he became a Christian. And after many years he didn't want to carry that secret around anymore and he told his wife. I actually thought her not talking to him for two years was an overreaction.

Anyway, I don't agree with his politics, but as I was sitting there watching I couldn't help but like the guy. He's a charismatic motherfucker. I can understand why those kids wanted to play for him. And here's the difference between the political and the personal. He makes no bones about his belief in the Bible. He thinks homosexuality is an abomination. But I'll tell you this, if I were a gay kid in trouble and desperately needed help, I'd much rather see Bill McCartney walking my way than the average SJW.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

No, I read it. I also read the Editor's bio. It's why I mentioned it first and called the writer a wannabe William Buckley.

It was conservative group think about today's college kids, and a relatively young mouthpiece who "looks the right way" (preppy) who can come on tv/internet and criticize the young, the progressive, the media that he believes emboldens them. Typical Young College Republican leaders (like Karl Rove once was :wink: ) who will say and do virtually anything to achieve their goals ($) and will have no problem pandering to a select "class" of people to do it. He's a whore with a pretty little resume.

I forget the name of the little floppy haired 30 something guy with the bow ties that used to be on CNN & Fox. Whenever he came on a program he spoke like a windup toy. The same 9-10 lines cleverly adapted to whatever the issue of the day was. Problem is/was, that was it and it didn't sound like there was any substance there. Kind of like how I read that guy's piece, or how I hear Rubio now, or how some say they hear Obama still.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:28 pm 

bigfan wrote:

Somethings not right.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
I forget the name of the little floppy haired 30 something guy with the bow ties that used to be on CNN & Fox.

:lol: Tucker Carlson.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:31 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No, I read it. I also read the Editor's bio. It's why I mentioned it first and called the writer a wannabe William Buckley.

It was conservative group think about today's college kids, and a relatively young mouthpiece who "looks the right way" (preppy) who can come on tv/internet and criticize the young, the progressive, the media that he believes emboldens them. Typical Young College Republican leaders (like Karl Rove once was :wink: ) who will say and do virtually anything to achieve their goals ($) and will have no problem pandering to a select "class" of people to do it. He's a whore with a pretty little resume.

I forget the name of the little floppy haired 30 something guy with the bow ties that used to be on CNN & Fox. Whenever he came on a program he spoke like a windup toy. The same 9-10 lines cleverly adapted to whatever the issue of the day was. Problem is/was, that was it and it didn't sound like there was any substance there. Kind of like how I read that guy's piece, or how I hear Rubio now, or how some say they hear Obama still.

I enjoy reading a lot of what you write, but it makes it very hard when the vast majority of your post seem to always have the political side in them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Don't tell you wife for goodness sake. What an idiot. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I think it made a good point. College kids still want to act and be treated like children. It's probably a part of a larger societal problem of prolonged adolescence or whatever it's called and young adults not wanting to grow up and face reality.

Many college kids seemingly do, agreed.

But when you use his perverse method to ultimately attempt to minimalize/marginalize the Mizzou kids' concerns it rings hollow to my ears as simple pandering to his sugar daddies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:35 pm 

Not to barge in on the conversation, but why are they still in this protest camp sit in thing?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:35 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's amazing to me how you find new ways to blame things on libertarian points of view. There was nothing conservative about that article I posted. The ironic thing is that many of these students you are defending have, at their core, conservative beliefs themselves. They don't believe in freedom of speech or freedom of press, and they believe that opposing or "dangerous" ideas should be fully censored. It's a very coddled and entitled point of view, and it deserves to be ridiculed for how pathetic it is, and for how damaging it is to free expression in this country.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:37 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I think it made a good point. College kids still want to act and be treated like children. It's probably a part of a larger societal problem of prolonged adolescence or whatever it's called and young adults not wanting to grow up and face reality.

Many college kids seemingly do, agreed.

But when you use his perverse method to ultimately attempt to minimalize/marginalize the Mizzou kids' concerns it rings hollow to my ears as simple pandering to his sugar daddies.

I fully admit that you know way more about the situation at Mizzou. Obviously, a lot of the article is speaking to what is going on at Yale as well, and as Tall Midget touched on, a movement that is all over college campuses everywhere these days.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
bigfan wrote:
Not to barge in on the conversation, but why are they still in this protest camp sit in thing?

Because no one is there to tell them what to do next...typical directionless millennials...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangelas
Quote:
Anyway, I don't agree with his politics, but as I was sitting there watching I couldn't help but like the guy.

Mofo didn't give back that fifth down. The Illini dominated his squad, too. (Excuse my choice of verbs.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:41 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I enjoy reading a lot of what you write, but it makes it very hard when the vast majority of your post seem to always have the political side in them.

That's fine and I can appreciate your discomfort. However, when its articles from guys who routinely collect checks from Reason, The Blaze and possibly FoxNews among others, its hard to dissect politics/race/bigotry/elitism from their writings. You've never seen me post a single article/blog/piece from any liberal writer as if to give it added credence or imply some form of balance. (FF I believe is an honest libertarian, I just have no use for most authors safely ensconced in the conservative media bubble with the same pandering approach)

When it's in the same thread where it's ignorantly asserted that the kids in Mizzou are going to start violently start rioting and destroy their own campus (?) for unspoken reasons it's even more difficult to not get heated, nor see where the line between race/politics/bigotry & elitism are drawn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:43 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

That's fine and I can appreciate your discomfort. However, when its articles from guys who routinely collect checks from Reason, The Blaze and possibly FoxNews among others, its hard to dissect politics/race/bigotry/elitism from their writings. You've never seen me post a single article/blog/piece from any liberal writer as if to give it added credence or imply some form of balance. (FF I believe is an honest libertarian, I just have no use for most authors safely ensconced in the conservative media bubble with the same pandering approach)

When it's in the same thread where it's ignorantly asserted that the kids in Mizzou are going to start violently start rioting and destroy their own campus (?) for unspoken reasons it's even more difficult to not get heated, nor see where the line between race/politics/bigotry & elitism are drawn.

Thanks for the explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Regular Reader wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

You're sitting here 400 miles away with no real understanding of that campus or the protesting kids on it but you can high handedly make the first guess as to their thinking. No surprise, it's kind of what you do in areas like this. Sit on your bigoted high horse and shit on every group you blame for your own shortcomings.

Next you remark about what you "wouldn't be surprised" about how this all violently ends?!? No reason, rationale, or simple acceptance of the fact that right now the protesters are fairly happy they were acknowledged & achieved some of their previously thought to be unreachable goals. But despite their own recognized success, you ignorantly wouldn't be surprised if rioting, violence and destruction is their next aim. Why would you make that assumption aside from their skin color?

Don't bother, we know your real answer.

You don't know shit about me, so go fuck yourself you ignorant bigot.

Regular Reader not looking good here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

BongoJohnny'sInvestor wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, I don't agree with his politics, but as I was sitting there watching I couldn't help but like the guy.

Mofo didn't give back that fifth down. The Illini dominated his squad, too. (Excuse my choice of verbs.)

:lol: Yeah, I wouldn't say dominated, but the little fellow got it done! Go Jason Verduzco!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Here's my prediction of what will happen based on my experiences in university life:
The new president (who will most likely be African-American, maybe even a woman - and I'm not saying that in a negative way, I'm just saying that is what they will look for) will come in and basically keep doing what the previous administration was doing (committees! focus groups! safe spaces! training! training! training!) and problem solved (not really, but it will look good on paper)!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:51 pm 

Quote:
Because no one is there to tell them what to do next...typical directionless millennials...

I'd say they are more misguided than directionless.

And perhaps they think they are smarter than they really are. I'd bet I thought that when I was younger, too, but in this case, they use their cell phones ("I have access to all the information in the world!") as evidence . . . which can make them look a little silly.

Pardon my generalizations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It's amazing to me how you find new ways to blame things on libertarian points of view. There was nothing conservative about that article I posted. The ironic thing is that many of these students you are defending have, at their core, conservative beliefs themselves. They don't believe in freedom of speech or freedom of press, and they believe that opposing or "dangerous" ideas should be fully censored. It's a very coddled and entitled point of view, and it deserves to be ridiculed for how pathetic it is, and for how damaging it is to free expression in this country.

We will have to agree to disagree. That article couldn't have been written any better by any senior fellow of the Cato Institute still "claiming" to be a libertarian. :)

I also think that before constitutional concepts of free speech, expression or press got considered, the kids' own fears for their personal safety were the initial driving concern. It's a very coddled and entitled belief held by many like the "Senior Editor" that minority students feel safe on college campuses, or that their own snarky and bigoted remarks (only sometimes) behind closed doors don't play heavily into the racial crap on campuses that these kids are addressing in large part.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:54 pm 

Quote:
:lol: Yeah, I wouldn't say dominated, but the little fellow got it done! Go Jason Verduzco!

He did it. That team was ranked # 5 . . . before the disaster.

I tried to add Verduzco on Facebook when he first joined, and he sent me a message saying, "We wrestled, right?" I told him I was just a crazed fan and yada yada yada, I never heard from him again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:56 pm 

Can I get more information on these "Safe Spaces" is this a thing at Colleges?

Is this like Les nesmans office?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next