It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Timeshares
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
"He wanted to burn his timeshare condo down." That was my point, most owners eventually come to regret it with an active hatred nonetheless.

BURN BABY BURN, TIMESHARE INFERNO. BURN BABY BURN.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
denisdman wrote:
"He wanted to burn his timeshare condo down." That was my point, most owners eventually come to regret it with an active hatred nonetheless.

BURN BABY BURN, TIMESHARE INFERNO. BURN BABY BURN.

I like your singing voice as well as your choice of words. "Active hatred" is a fitting phrase.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The only people I know who have timeshares and are happy with them are a couple of sets of friends who are all Disney fanatics. They each have a week at something in the LBV area with two bedrooms and two baths. For them the cost and schedule certainty is worth it, and they don't mind going every year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
My mother in law, who was always gullible, bought a few. She ended up with alzheimer's so they (wife and her siblings) had to pay to get rid of them.

We have sat through a couple of the presentations in exchange for cheap weekends at nice resorts. The hard sells came but we simply told them we have a standing rule of not making "on the spot" purchases.

I am firmly in the camp of not prepaying for vacations. Too much can change in life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:07 am 

denisdman wrote:
The Score has been running that Timeshare commercial non-stop. Basically, the service will help you get out of your timeshare.

Over the years, I have had many an argument with friends about the value of timeshares. As a financial guy, I recognize that the entire thing is one big scam. Why would you buy a lifetime's worth of vacations in advance? You don't buy a lifetime's worth of food or cable viewing in advance. Even worse, there are restrictions around the use of the timeshare, and they are so expensive that many people finance them. It becomes a simple time value of money discussion. Yet, many intelligent people are sold that these are a great idea.

But if you fast forward, these same folks eventually realize the folly of their purchase. Their initial enthusiasm can be chalked up to trying to convince themselves they made a great decision. Eventually they see that the maintenance fees and other restrictions aren't worth it. Plus you have locked in and committed yourself to taking a vacation each year, which is a luxury in good times but a big cost in lean times.

Any one else have a story to share about these?

Waste of damn money. Eight years ago I took a trip to Miami. One of my cousins owned one. She said that I could use hers for the time that I was there but I'd have to go the 90 minute presentation. I said cool and she said that there was a catch. You either have to be married or engaged. I said no problem I will have our other cousin drive down from Orlando and pretend to be the phony wife or whatever. My cousin drives down and if I didn't know any better I'd think she was working with them. Before I knew it she'd talked me into purchasing one of those damn things.

For about 3 to 4 years I was paying on a damn space that I never used. I finally got out but not before I'd switched it from Orlando to Vegas (more money). It also didn't make any sense because your rooms in Vegas are either comped or cheap more often than not.

When you factor in the amount that you spend before you use it it is really a waste of money. Shit you end up paying more for taxes and assessment fees alone than youd pay for your room. Don't do it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:
denisdman wrote:
The Score has been running that Timeshare commercial non-stop. Basically, the service will help you get out of your timeshare.

Over the years, I have had many an argument with friends about the value of timeshares. As a financial guy, I recognize that the entire thing is one big scam. Why would you buy a lifetime's worth of vacations in advance? You don't buy a lifetime's worth of food or cable viewing in advance. Even worse, there are restrictions around the use of the timeshare, and they are so expensive that many people finance them. It becomes a simple time value of money discussion. Yet, many intelligent people are sold that these are a great idea.

But if you fast forward, these same folks eventually realize the folly of their purchase. Their initial enthusiasm can be chalked up to trying to convince themselves they made a great decision. Eventually they see that the maintenance fees and other restrictions aren't worth it. Plus you have locked in and committed yourself to taking a vacation each year, which is a luxury in good times but a big cost in lean times.

Waste of damn money. Eight years ago I took a trip to Miami. One of my cousins owned one. She said that I could use hers for the time that I was there but I'd have to go the 90 minute presentation. I said cool and she said that there was a catch. You either have to be married or engaged. I said no problem I will have our other cousin drive down from Orlando and pretend to be the phony wife or whatever. My cousin drives down and if I didn't know any better I'd think she was working with them. Before I knew it she'd talked me into purchasing one of those damn things.

For about 3 to 4 years I was paying on a damn space that I never used. I finally got out but not before I'd switched it from Orlando to Vegas (more money). It also didn't make any sense because your rooms in Vegas are either comped or cheap more often than not.

When you factor in the amount that you spend before you use it it is really a waste of money. Shit you end up paying more for taxes and assessment fees alone than youd pay for your room. Don't do it

You end up poking her?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 am 

good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You end up poking her?

I'm from the Low End of Chicago not Tuscaloosa Alabama.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The only people I know who have timeshares and are happy with them are a couple of sets of friends who are all Disney fanatics. They each have a week at something in the LBV area with two bedrooms and two baths. For them the cost and schedule certainty is worth it, and they don't mind going every year.

The Disney one seems like it'd be a good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
The inlaws have a couple weeks at a place in Playa Del Carmen...they aren't locked into the exact weeks or the same resort. They get used every year by someone.

Otherwise, we did get roped into a week in Puerto Vallarta...cancelled it as soon as we got back stateside. Haven't been back there in 20 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I wont buy one mainly because the salespeople are relentless.
They stalked me for all 7 days both times I was at Puerto Vallarta.
They started to make me regret going there.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
At the Cancun airport you have to run a gauntlet of timeshare guys. They are dressed in such a way that it is easy to mistake them for airport personnel. If you want to make it to your hotel the same day you arrive you must run, don't walk, past them. Don't talk to them and don't even make eye contact with them. EVER.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Darkside wrote:

I find this an interesting subject. If I had to use a single word to describe America it would be "advertising". And high pressure sales, when done correctly, is an emotional appeal that hits all the same buttons as good advertising.

There's a reason that these sales tactics are used- because they work. Now, I'm sure MANY will insist that these tactics "don't work on me". That may or may not be. I would suggest in certain instances they work on anyone, but the point is, they need only to work on about one person in ten.

About ten years ago, I started a company where we had to build a sales organization from scratch. One of my partners, himself a highly successful guy as a traditional salesman, decided that we were going to scrap many these high pressure techniques and use what he called the "consultative sales process". Basically, that simply meant that the set up was a little different, that you spoke with people like human beings until the point where you started closing hard. Unfortunately, all the salesmen we had didn't really grasp the concept. They had this crazy idea that we didn't want them to sell on the first night. Eventually we had to go back to the tried and true sales graph, appealing to the prospect's emotions, offering one night only drops, and hard riding to the close.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I find this an interesting subject. If I had to use a single word to describe America it would be "advertising". And high pressure sales, when done correctly, is an emotional appeal that hits all the same buttons as good advertising.

There's a reason that these sales tactics are used- because they work. Now, I'm sure MANY will insist that these tactics "don't work on me". That may or may not be. I would suggest in certain instances they work on anyone, but the point is, they need only to work on about one person in ten.

About ten years ago, I started a company where we had to build a sales organization from scratch. One of my partners, himself a highly successful guy as a traditional salesman, decided that we were going to scrap many these high pressure techniques and use what he called the "consultative sales process". Basically, that simply meant that the set up was a little different, that you spoke with people like human beings until the point where you started closing hard. Unfortunately, all the salesmen we had didn't really grasp the concept. They had this crazy idea that we didn't want them to sell on the first night. Eventually we had to go back to the tried and true sales graph, appealing to the prospect's emotions, offering one night only drops, and hard riding to the close.
High pressure sales tactics clearly work. People are strange. When I worked telemarketing there was a guy who had to sit 30 feet from every other person because he would literally yell at people on the phone all day about how they need to buy whatever thing we were selling.

I think everyone else was surprised it worked but it did. I think when you see it from that side you get kind of immune to it. I take high pressure sales tactics as a sign of an inferior or useless product.

However, aren't you the same guy that complained about places like Hot Doug's that treat customers like crap? What is the difference?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

High pressure sales tactics clearly work. People are strange. When I worked telemarketing there was a guy who had to sit 30 feet from every other person because he would literally yell at people on the phone all day about how they need to buy whatever thing we were selling.

I think everyone else was surprised it worked but it did. I think when you see it from that side you get kind of immune to it. I take high pressure sales tactics as a sign of an inferior or useless product.

However, aren't you the same guy that complained about places like Hot Doug's that treat customers like crap? What is the difference?

I would feel badly for Hot Doug's customers because they seemingly love his product and are apostle category customers being treated badly. That isn't the same as being that way to convince a first time prospect for your widget or service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

High pressure sales tactics are how we get people to falsely confess to crimes. People usually want to please others, and everyone has a breaking point. It is interesting that the would work over the phone though. Trapped in a room it makes sense, but why don't people just hang up. Something psychological.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I hate to be the guy who says it doesn't work on me but it didn't. I was so pissed I avoided that lobby like the plague during daylight hours so I wouldn't walk past the timeshare jerk.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I love the ones at the Dells that offer to "watch your kids" while you go on a three hour tour (a three hour tour).

Those are EXACTLY the people I want caring for my kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
a genius wrote:
At the Cancun airport you have to run a gauntlet of timeshare guys. They are dressed in such a way that it is easy to mistake them for airport personnel. If you want to make it to your hotel the same day you arrive you must run, don't walk, past them. Don't talk to them and don't even make eye contact with them. EVER.

Maybe it's because I've been living in the city since 1995 and have told every homeless person I run into since then to fuck off and get a job, but I have no problem dealing with the timeshare sales people in Cancun. Just leave off the "get a job" part.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 am 
Site Admin

1-800-600-7404

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
shakes wrote:
a genius wrote:

Maybe it's because I've been living in the city since 1995 and have told every homeless person I run into since then to fuck off and get a job, but I have no problem dealing with the timeshare sales people in Cancun. Just leave off the "get a job" part.

You also have a suitcase full of weed so you need to get out of the airport post haste.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:
a genius wrote:

You also have a suitcase full of weed so you need to get out of the airport post haste.

if suitcase is a fancy word for anus.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
I hate to be the guy who says it doesn't work on me but it didn't. I was so pissed I avoided that lobby like the plague during daylight hours so I wouldn't walk past the timeshare jerk.

We used to have a Powerpoint that we used in sales training that featured a Linear Sales Graph. The horizontal axis illustrated the steps the salesperson was to take and the vertical axis graphed the levels of pressure and release. It started with the presentation, then ratcheted up the pressure, let the prospect off the hook, then came on strong again, then your drops came in, etc. The final step, assuming the sale was made, was called "Cement". It basically just meant wrapping up while refraining from talking past the sale.

If things got slow we would have our sales manager hold a refresher for the established salesmen. During one of these, the manager was going back over the Linear Sales Graph and reinforcing the steps. My current partner, Joe, was in the session and they were using a sale he had previously made as an example.

Joe was just a young kid at the time, maybe 22 or so. He was probably hungover during this meeting and annoyed at having to come in early for it. So the manager got to the last steps and when he got to "Cement", Joe raised his hand. The sales manager called on him and Joe said with a level of purposeful obtuseness far beyond any ever displayed by even BRick, "My project is built on existing piers, why do I need cement?" I almost spit my Diet Coke across the room. I knew right then Joe and I were going to be good friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Hot Doug's took the opposite sales approach but it was equally successful. Who knew that telling a customer that you don't care about whether they eat your food would make them want to eat your food?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:13 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Hot Doug's took the opposite sales approach but it was equally successful. Who knew that telling a customer that you don't care about whether they eat your food would make them want to eat your food?

The new place occupying Hot Doug's space is better than Hot Doug's. Unfortunately, the two times I've gone to Cafe Tola I've been the only person in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:29 pm 

shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

The new place occupying Hot Doug's space is better than Hot Doug's. Unfortunately, the two times I've gone to Cafe Tola I've been the only person in there.

Empanadas?