It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

I thought that one of these guys would eventually snap at Goff's constant interruptions when they're trying to read their update. Especially when they're doing sponsor copy. It got kind of tense. Goff was stunned and bucked up real quick. I thought they were gonna go. Boers tried to throw fuel on the fire. 4:30 update.

Rowdewald: Can I finish? Please? Do you mind?

Goff: Yes. I do mind.

Boers: Wow. Don't mess with, Jason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

They weren't playing around. You could tell by their tones. They kind of played it off at the end but Goff's initial instinct was to beat the shit out of the update guy for scolding him on the air like that. NOBODY DOES GOFF LIKE THAT. LEAST OF ALL A CRACKER ASS UPDATE GUY.

Good for you Rodewald. You don't always have to take their bullshit. Rowdewell, like Zaidman, is one of those "proper" broadcasters that kind of looks down at Goff's foolish broadcasting style. That's the impression I get from both of them. That's what sparked this little blow up. I think Rodewald has been sick of the interruptions for some time and this was just the boiling point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Goff overplayin' his hand.

Let the man do his read....you're actin' the fool and you don't even have your own show yet!

Respect the sponsors....there won't be many left for radio in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe. But Rodewald's parents paid 40k for him to get his broadcasting degree. So he might be pissed that he gets part time update shifts while Goff gets to host afternoon drive. Then he has to have Goff interrupt his reads?

Also, think about the sponsor. This is 4:30 in Chicago. Huge drive time audience. I'm sure this sponsor paid a pretty penny for this slot. That should be a clean read for him or her. They all should be clean reads for these sponsors. Goff needs to recognize this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
No idea about Rodewald, Panthro, but you don't mess with the copy reads. More to the point, let's have the sponsors demand 'make-goods' and we'll see how long the interruptions continue.

(Although I suspect that was just the tipping point)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Beebo wrote:
No idea about Rodewald, Panthro, but you don't mess with the copy reads. More to the point, let's have the sponsors demand 'make-goods' and we'll see how long the interruptions continue.

Score management must think every client wants clown reads by Boers & bernstein like David Hochberg. Can we get a few more "by crackys" in there? I really want my banker making joke commercials. I'd never use Townstone. But I do respect the fact that David helps people of all sexual persuasions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I wonder if David Hochberg is half the raging asshole he purports to be to clients somehow who do him wrong, or twice the raging asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Beebo wrote:

Yep. Gotta respect the sponsors and the cash they bring. Period.

Goff being very unprofessional with that crap. If I'm a sponsor that paid a good chunk of change to be in the drive-time slot that copy better be read nice and clear.

JayMan has to know his role...this is disappointing as I thought Goff knew the way the game was played.

Chill out, Goffer, you don't even have a show yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Can you imagine the calls Mitch gets from angry sponsors. :lol:

Sponsor: So I'm listening to my $500 read and I'm hearing "Throw the J.ew down the well" and "Dumb ass cracker" in between the words. What the fuck, Mitch?

Mitch: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Beardown wrote:
Maybe. But Rodewald's parents paid 40k for him to get his broadcasting degree. So he might be pissed that he gets part time update shifts while Goff gets to host afternoon drive. Then he has to have Goff interrupt his reads?

Also, think about the sponsor. This is 4:30 in Chicago. Huge drive time audience. I'm sure this sponsor paid a pretty penny for this slot. That should be a clean read for him or her. They all should be clean reads for these sponsors. Goff needs to recognize this sort of thing.

Where can you get a degree in anything for just $40K?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I didn't hear the exchange, but I'll take the opportunity to say that Rodewald is the WORST update guy they have. He can't get a sentence out of his mouth without stepping on his dick about three or four times each and every update, even without the outside help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Scorehead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Seriously?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Scorehead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Some small state schools. You're right, though. 60k, at least, for the most part, for your better schools. I don't know where Rodewald went to school. Although I haven't really investigated it recently. No need too. Maybe it's more for small state schools now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just another thought. Rodewald doesn't bitch out Goff if Bernstein is there. Too scared. That's why he took advantage of his absence to vent about the interruptions. He's been wanting to do it for a while. He's hoping Goff gets the message when he goes back to the board. Perhaps he took this opportunity to speak for all B&B update people. They probably talk about this issue amongst themselves, over beers, at the update people bar. A win for B&B update anchors. :cheers: Way to go, Rodewald. You're a true leader.

Last edited by Beardown on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Scorehead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Apparently you aren't a Phoenix.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Minooka Meatball wrote:
I didn't hear the exchange, but I'll take the opportunity to say that Rodewald is the WORST update guy they have. He can't get a sentence out of his mouth without stepping on his dick about three or four times each and every update, even without the outside help.

He's okay. Seems to editorialize a little bit. Kerry Sayers doesn't have a dick of her own to trip over, but she struggles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I do respect the fact that David helps people of all sexual persuasions.

The best was the heroes-of-9/11 spot.

"THESE GUYS KEEP SCUMBAGS OFF THE STREET AND PULL MY FAT BUTT OUT OF A BURNING BUILDING THE LEAST I CAN DO IS HELP THEM REFINANCE AMIRITE FOLKS"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Meat probably coached him up to make sure all producers know their role and don't confuse it with being on air talent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Beardown wrote:
They probably talk about this issue amongst themselves, over beers, at the update people bar.

The idea of a "Score update guys bar" is really funny for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

He's okay. Seems to editorialize a little bit. Kerry Sayers doesn't have a dick of her own to trip over, but she struggles.

B&B have a lot of update people. Drinky is clearly the worst. Shuester is a close 2nd.

Ranger isn't bad and likes it when "Team Bernstein" rape his updates. Zaidman and Rodewald despise it. They loathe Bernstein and his crew.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Beardown wrote:
They probably talk about this issue amongst themselves, over beers, at the update people bar.

The idea of a "Score update guys bar" is really funny for some reason.

Thanks. That was meant to get a laugh. I was hoping that someone would catch it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Although, think about it. All co-workers go to bars to bitch about work. What would B&B update people really have to bitch about? Pretty much the interruptions. I'm sure that is a topic over beers. What else would there be for an update person to cry about his job? Paper cuts? The last update guy not replacing the ink on the printer? That's about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 pm 

Yup, good for the update guy. If you're going to do the updates every 30 minutes, then just do the updates. We get it, you guys have hilarious drops that you cram on to the air when a guy is trying to tell us about that evening's sports schedule. Hilarious.

Obviously they do the updates because they can sell sponsorship, so they're not going anywhere. Someone with a half a sack needs to tell the "talent" (or wannabe fill-in "talent") to just shut up and let the sponsors feel like they're getting some ROI. Or, let someone with a fifth grader's humor hit buttons and laugh loudly, off mic, as the update guy tries to tell people who paid money for this latest round of NCAA scores and where the U of I has most recently screwed the pooch. Either way.

Goff is a huge reason I've stopped listening to the show as much lately - I don't know if it's some sort of cocky attitude he's adopted with his "increased" role...but he's gotten bad. Hell, DRINKY (and yes, he deserves that title in spades these days) probably has more weekly air time and doesn't come across as big of a douche (although he certainly has his moments (acting like Bernstein while "not" acting like Bernstein towards callers)). Maybe it's just natural for an ego to over-inflate with increased exposure, I don't know. but he hardly is keepin' it real.

On a somewhat related note, is there a reason The Score doesn't allow non-white dudes to do Scoreboard updates? Did Larry ever do them as he "rose" through the ranks? Why does DRINKY repeatedly get asked to do them while Jason has never come near the update studio mic? Is there some unwritten rule that it has to be a frat boy wannabe (DRINKY, Rongey etc) and/or a super white nerd/dork (Zaidman, Randazzo etc) in the update studio? Just askin'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just throwing this out there. We know B&B don't shy away from race discussions. Larry and Goff love to discuss it. I've pretty much learned from them that I suck and am a worthless cracker. :( It's healthy to have these talks. :cheers:

Could the "Rodewald vs. Goff" episode be a race issue? Kind of like the white man putting the black man in check. Maybe on behalf of the many white B&B update people. Just asking. Discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Beardown wrote:
Just throwing this out there. We know B&B don't shy away from race discussions. Larry and Goff love to discuss it. I've pretty much learned from them that I suck and am a worthless cracker. :( It's healthy to have these talks. :cheers:

Could the "Rodewald vs. Goff" episode be a race issue? Kind of like the white man putting the black man in check. Maybe on behalf of the many white B&B update people. Just asking. Discuss.

The white update man is using the black host as muscle against you, the listener.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Beardown wrote:

The white update man is using the black host as muscle against you, the listener.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pagliai's Iowa City
Goff sucks. By the way, it's funny with him being such a "rising star" and all, that he has to resort to playing a clip of Bernsie doing the propers at the top of the show. You'd think a guy who thinks he's the shit would want to at least do everything the regular host does.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Or maybe it's just a class thing. The elite, proper, high class, highly educated update boys - Zaidman and Rodewald vs. the down and dirty, shoot from the hip, low education, come from nothing, crude, rude, willing to say "fuck you" at the drop of the hat - Drinky and Goff.

Hey, these things are issues in society. Why wouldn't they be so at the Score?

Just saying that Rodewald doesn't talk to Bernstein that way if it were Bernstein fucking with his update. Not saying Rodewald was wrong in scolding Goff. He was absolutley right. Just saying certain people pick and choose who they fight based on certain things. So it very well could be that this thing was based on class or race.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Beardown wrote:
Just saying that Rodewald doesn't talk to Bernstein that way if it were Bernstein fucking with his update. Not saying Rodewald was wrong in scolding Goff. He was absolutley right. Just saying certain people pick and choose who they fight based on certain things. So it very well could be that this thing was based on class or race.

Only two guys at the station are willing to take on bernstein. They both come off as petulant in doing so and one of them usually comes off looking like an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Only two guys at the station are willing to take on bernstein. They both come off as petulant in doing so and one of them usually comes off looking like an idiot.

Correct. Drink and Goff take on Bernstein just to take him on. It' a bit. Usually it's just "I hate you" or "You're a jerk". When they really try to fight with him on issues they sound like fools. They sound just like the dumb callers. Bernstein shows mercy on them by trying to move on or change the subject. Every now and then he'll give them the "caller treatment". For the most part, he goes easy on them cuz they're his crew and he doesn't want to go full Bernstein on them because of that. He knows it's a mismatch and he doesn't want to ridiclue them on the air. He tries to let them off easy. Drink and Goff don't realize this. They always think they win with the "Fuck you, Bernstien" comment. That's all they really have as far as ammunition. Bernstein is content in giving them that satisfaction. Bernstein doesn't suffer fools that he has to deal with daily. What's the point for him? It would just make his work enviroment more difficult. He doesn't need that. He just wants to do the talk show and go home to his family and money.