It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam Fels
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:10 am 

I assume Sam Fels realizes he's a nobody who was gifted a job because he was some poor urchin adopted by hosts at the Score.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

Foley showing his racism...

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It has to drive Fels and the rest of the woke hockey crowd mad that the #1 hockey podcast in the world is a Barstool property.

If you want to make news in the hockey world, you go on Spittin Chicklets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
I assume Sam Fels realizes he's a nobody who was gifted a job because he was some poor urchin adopted by hosts at the Score.

Not even that really. He was the younger brother of a poor urchin Score hosts liked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
good dolphin wrote:

I don't think this job has anything to do with the Score, who made a star out of Jason Goff but topped Sam out at being Laurence Holmes's hockey expert. If anyone got him this job, it was Julie and her whole world of woke people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Not even that really. He was the younger brother of a poor urchin Score hosts liked.

Who is/was(rip) Young Sam's older brother?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:31 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Who is/was(rip) Young Sam's older brother?

Can't remember. Was a scorehead way back at the start I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:18 pm 

His older brother Adam, who died, RIP. Used to be a contributor to the Committed Indian. I didn't know he was a listener or caller but it makes sense.

Like I said when I read his book, I feel a great deal of sympathy for Sam because of losing all three of his family members and being kind of directionless as a result, but he fell in with a bad crowd, or at least a mildly irritating one. The true sense of belonging and loyalty you'll ever get from online culture-war nerds, that and a dollar buys a cup of coffee, or however the saying goes; I don't buy cups of coffee.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:51 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
His older brother Adam, who died, RIP. Used to be a contributor to the Committed Indian. I didn't know he was a listener or caller but it makes sense.

Like I said when I read his book, I feel a great deal of sympathy for Sam because of losing all three of his family members and being kind of directionless as a result, but he fell in with a bad crowd, or at least a mildly irritating one. The true sense of belonging and loyalty you'll ever get from online culture-war nerds, that and a dollar buys a cup of coffee, or however the saying goes; I don't buy cups of coffee.

wait, that talentless dipshit wrote a book? And someone published it (vanity publisher)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:20 am 

His brother was a Cub blogger.

I just remember Young Sam calling in with dry takes back when he was in middle school. He was kind of like a pet to Bernstein and Boers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 am 

He took over The Blue Line, and then the Hawks went all dynastic. Not much use for a rag that trashes management in the midst of a multi championship run. They were forced to find things to be pissy about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
GoldenJet wrote:
His brother was a Cub blogger.

I just remember Young Sam calling in with dry takes back when he was in middle school. He was kind of like a pet to Bernstein and Boers.

He was Terry's pet back in the mid 90's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

wait, that talentless dipshit wrote a book? And someone published it (vanity publisher)?

Yes, I read it a year or two ago as a board assignment of sorts.

Mostly, I found it depressing. He spends a lot of time talking about how Hawks games were like little anthropological trips where everyone except for him was toothless white trash to be studied and feared. He goes well past the doth-protest-too-much point with it -- I haven't seen much of Sam in action, but I've never exactly gotten the feeling that he presents himself as firmly among America's cultural elite. There's a lot of stuff about envying and secretly wishing to be a big Bulls fan instead, maybe so he could have lived his dream of co-hosting a radio show with Dan Bernstein, I don't know. Given that the prose reads like those threads where all of us would do Terry Boers impressions, it's not exactly a wild guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:15 pm 

I read the first few pages of his book. He was going to be a stand-up comic. The guy who came up with Barfstool...

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
also in that book he outed himself as a bandwagon fan by glossing over the Roenick trade-death of Bill Wirtz dark ages. He admitted he basically lost interest in the Hawks for a long time after the '95 WCF loss to Detroit. I also liked the story of how Weinberg pretty much politely told him "You can use the Blue Line name ONCE, then publish under your own name so you don't piss on my legacy."

(yes, I read it too, I'm a sucker for any Hawks literature)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:30 pm 

I think he was at college and elsewhere during the Dark Age and wasn't paying attention. If I remember correctly, the book teleports from the Roenick trade to the sad saga of Theo Fleury and skips over the ugly Chelios departure, the Jocelyn Thibault hero year, and Finnish playwright Alpo Suhonen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 pm 

I take umbrage with calling someone a bandwagon jumper for taking 10-15 years off. I was a season ticket holder for years. Then the late 90s through the Kane/Toews drafts happened. I wrote the Hawks off the entire time. They weren't taking my money or even my attention. Literally, the week after Dollar Bill died, I re-upped season tix. I gave them up two years ago...but they still have my attention.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:12 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
I take umbrage with calling someone a bandwagon jumper for taking 10-15 years off. I was a season ticket holder for years. Then the late 90s through the Kane/Toews drafts happened. I wrote the Hawks off the entire time. They weren't taking my money or even my attention. Literally, the week after Dollar Bill died, I re-upped season tix. I gave them up two years ago...but they still have my attention.

What a fucking bandwagon jumper.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:15 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
GoldenJet wrote:
I take umbrage with calling someone a bandwagon jumper for taking 10-15 years off. I was a season ticket holder for years. Then the late 90s through the Kane/Toews zdrafts happened. I wrote the Hawks off the entire time. They weren't taking my money or even my attention. Literally, the week after Dollar Bill died, I re-upped season tix. I gave them up two years ago...but they still have my attention.

yep, I'm proudly a fair weather fan at this point in my life. I'll dump a team at a moment's notice if they deserve it. My entertainment time and money is too valuable to me. I boycotted the Hawks from mid 90s till the minute Wirtz stopped breathing. Went to Kane's rookie debut just so i could boo during the Wirtz moment of silence.

Dumped the Bulls about 10 years ago after being a lifelong fan. Now I'm back into basketball and the Bulls aren't even on my radar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:52 pm 

I won't take any side in the bandwagon debate. One thing I do know though is I have no idea how anyone can do full season tickets of anything these days. A corporate reason notwithstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:02 pm 

shakes wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
I take umbrage with calling someone a bandwagon jumper for taking 10-15 years off. I was a season ticket holder for years. Then the late 90s through the Kane/Toews zdrafts happened. I wrote the Hawks off the entire time. They weren't taking my money or even my attention. Literally, the week after Dollar Bill died, I re-upped season tix. I gave them up two years ago...but they still have my attention.

yep, I'm proudly a fair weather fan at this point in my life. I'll dump a team at a moment's notice if they deserve it. My entertainment time and money is too valuable to me. I boycotted the Hawks from mid 90s till the minute Wirtz stopped breathing. Went to Kane's rookie debut just so i could boo during the Wirtz moment of silence.

Dumped the Bulls about 10 years ago after being a lifelong fan. Now I'm back into basketball and the Bulls aren't even on my radar.

Exactly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:04 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I won't take any side in the bandwagon debate. One thing I do know though is I have no idea how anyone can do full season tickets of anything these days. A corporate reason notwithstanding.

I like having some control by having the STs in my name, but I wouldn't do them without having committed partners.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
pittmike wrote:

Agreed.
I like my teams, but when you know they are going to be garbage or stuck in Mediocre....it's hard to stay interested. I'd make it a point to attend one Sox game a summer with my kids....just to enjoy a day with them, but as Shakes said....it's a lot of money and a lot of time....too much else to do on a regular basis.

Bears games are an entirely different monster. There's only 16 games in a regular season. (8 home games). My family has season tickets, but I don't really want much to do with it. I have frozen my ass off in more December games in my life than I can count. I much prefer enjoying NFL games from home as opposed to the hassle of wasting an entire day away in the cold.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
GoldenJet wrote:
shakes wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Exactly

:lol:

I'm not sure I've ever heard people brag about being bandwagon fans before. Interesting.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I dunno. I can understand it. You should be able to at least understand it as well from a Sox perspective.

I'm at that point with the Bears. I may not completely write them off and change allegiances like Reader did, but I think if you're born and raised a fan for however many decades, then take a break, you can hop back on when/if the team is doing well again.

You can tell just from reading shakes and Jet's posts that they are long time hockey/Hawks guys, and aren't Johnny Comelatelys that suddenly had a Hawks beanie and were out at the bars during the 2010 playoffs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:38 pm 

pittmike wrote:

One of the all-time dick moves was when Peter Karmanos said the Whalers needed to sell x amount of season tickets to stay in Hartford, 12,000 or 13,000 or whatever, but then discontinued the half-season and ten-game plans so that the only option was the full 41+ games, which he then used as an excuse to break his lease so he could move them to Michigan (whoops). Karmanos was recently back in the news for getting Trump to pardon the imprisoned former mayor of Detroit, incidentally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
To each their own, be a fan of whoever you want, but obviously youre not a fan of a team if you took a decade off from following them while they sucked.

I watched the Sox every summer for the past decade when they were trash and not even trying to win and I went to games still, so nah I don't quite understand it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Bad sports are tough to watch. Baseball is one thing because of the nature of the game, some days you get hot and can scratch a good win as a team. Football, hockey, basketball...man, bad teams getting trucked just because talent level disparity. Tough to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Completely understand where the last two posts are coming from. I get it.

Plus, FF, as bad as the Sox have been, at least we've had FAR SUPERIOR to watch 8)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next